Looking for full balanced CD player with warm analog sound

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by yoms, Jan 14, 2008.

1. yoms

yoms

Tubes only work for RCA and not XLR or am I mistaken ? the Droplet CDP 5.0 is it the new version or the reference is different ?
    Thnak you rollo !

yoms, Jan 30, 2008
  2. yoms

rollo

You are mistaken mate. Has nothing to do with the connection. The 5.0 is the reference model. Also has volume control to run direct into amp eliminating a Preamp if desired.
    It has a warm and lush presentation with killer bass and sweet detailed highs.

rollo

rollo, Jan 30, 2008
  3. yoms

shrink

im not sure if its fully balanced topology from end to end, but i know that the newest roksan caspian player is equipped with XLR outputs for digital and analogue, which points to its likely being balanced. Its a nice rich smooth sounding player with excellent bass and clean highs.

shrink, Jan 30, 2008
  4. yoms

Rocker

Has anybody mentioned QUAD yet. The 99 CDP-2 is a decent player that can be used directly into power amps [using the onboard digital volume control]. I believe it to be around £1K, Ken Kessler seems very taken with it FWTIW.

Rocker, Jan 31, 2008
  5. yoms

yoms

Hi rollo,

OK, so am I ! Actually the 2.2 mkII runs tubes only through RCA, not through XLR... I thought, it was alike for the droplet. But, even on discount shops, i think the droplet is far too expensive for me...

Has someone compared the CEC CD5300 against the CEC TL51XR ? Is there a huge gap between both in terms of sound ? The 5300 is said to sound analog as well and is cheaper than the the TL51XR and of course cheaper than the new TL53Z. I was wondering then if it was worth the price difference...

yoms, Jan 31, 2008
  6. yoms

anubisgrau

for a small donation of 750 euros i can check that out for you.

anubisgrau, Jan 31, 2008
  7. yoms

yoms

:D

yoms, Feb 1, 2008
  8. yoms

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Yoms just get yorself an ACK DAC! Listening to one now, very beautiful 'analogue' sound but not dull! Just 'google' ACK Industries.

Purite Audio, Feb 1, 2008
  9. yoms

yoms

But I have no CD player at all, neither a transport. That's why I'm looking for an integrated CDP...

yoms, Feb 1, 2008
  10. yoms

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Just buy a cheap transport , either a CDP or a DVD from the supermarket as long as they have optical outs,, you will get a equal if not higher quality of sound and save yourself some money!

Purite Audio, Feb 1, 2008
  11. yoms

yoms

Hi,

I was told to look at the Cary line as well. Does someone have links so that I may check the prices ? Tanks a lot.
    Cheers,

yoms, Feb 5, 2008
  12. yoms

kmac

Try this one

www.google.com

kmac, Feb 5, 2008
  13. yoms

kmac

kmac, Feb 5, 2008
  14. yoms

yoms

Thank you.
    LOL, 3000€ the 303/300, it's definitely far too expensive. It's a bit more than the CEC TL51XR, but chinese stuff are more affordable when bought directly from China.

Considering buying new, I guess the players that meet my needs best are the Cambridge 840C and TL51XR.

I was told about MHZS and Grant Fidelity (which is supposed to be the same I think, it's a bit confused). What do you think of them ? Thank you !

yoms, Feb 5, 2008
  15. yoms

Neil

Ok, may I suggest looking at the classifieds - if you don't mind dipping your toe in the 2nd hand market I'm selling Thorsten Loech's old CD player - balanced outs and meets all your criteria, a true wolf in sheeps clothing. I'm sure I don't need to tell you of T's approach to electronics but I've heard many players and this is pretty good - It is the equal of most players I've heard up to ~ GBP1500. Yours for well under your budget price.

Neil, Feb 11, 2008
  16. yoms

yoms

Hi,

Thak you for your kind proposal, but I prefer buying sthg new this time...
    Cheers,

yoms, Feb 12, 2008
  17. yoms

yoms

Hi,
    Cayin CDT-17A seems as good choice as well. Can be found at a good price, full balanced, tube based.
    The question is: does a tubes replacement (by a model to be defined) would make it sound really warm ? Warmer than a CEC TL51XR (which is also on my shortlist) ?

Thanks !

yoms, Feb 15, 2008
  18. yoms

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

It's a bit "cottage industry", but the Lector CDP-7T has a balanced output option and sounds absolutely lush. It's an extremely warm player (that I also think looks pretty good) with tube output and an offboard PSU. Great sounds for the money (£2400?).

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Feb 18, 2008
  19. yoms

RIPit Don't Fear The RIPer

I have not read all of the posts on this thread, but if not mentioned already, I used to own the BAT VK-D5 Balanced CDP. This had a superb sound, and stacked up well against my then Orbe/SME309/Sumiko analogue front end (into BAT VK-P5 phono stage).

I only sold it as it had a rather noisy transport. It was replace with a Wadia 861b (loads of detail, but not as warm as the BAT VK-D5).

RIPit, Feb 20, 2008
  20. yoms

yoms

Hi,

Just to let people know. I'll go for the TL53Z or TL51XR if this latest does not fit my budget. But CEC sounds warm, analog, is full balanced and fits my budget. So...

yoms, Feb 28, 2008
Ask a Question