Looking to buy a turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ali_x, Aug 24, 2008.

1. ali_x

ali_x

Im currently looking to buy a turntable for my hifi set up...

At the moment I own 2 technics 1210s and a dj mixer, but im under the impression that a proper turntable will be much better for sound quality.

Can anyone recommend any particular brands or makes of turntable?.

Ive found an interesting looking turntable on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=330263412893&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

Does anyone have any opinions on whether this could be a good purchase?

ali_x, Aug 24, 2008
  2. ali_x

robM

Hi

either a Rega P3 or used Rega Planar 3. you can add a Rega tonearm to one of your 1210s if you want. You might find a Rega armboard for the 1210 on ebay. The Planar 3 although old is excellent and near to impossible to beat. I recently bought a Planar 2 (1979 ish) from Oxfam shop for £60.

robM, Aug 24, 2008
  3. ali_x

ali_x

Also been looking at the Linn Basic as a friend recommended Linn to me.

Anyone know about this model?

ali_x, Aug 24, 2008
  4. ali_x

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I read your similar question on Pink Fish. It's amazing to read opinion from people who have never heard the equipment, or have not heard it for many years - doesn't stop them from spouting forth though as if they have a clue what they are talking about.

You probably don't realise this but the Technics 1200/1210 has become a bit of a cult item and its performance is loudly praised by some. It's a very long time since I heard one so will reserve opinion but you can do a lot of modifications to them and it probably can sound surprisingly good.

The 'SRM AREZZO' deck you link to is an interesting design and not without merit - particularly the flywheel. I have heard of this design but have only ever read one review, never actually heard or seen it and never spoken to anyone that has.

The old Linn Basic deck is really nothing special - I remember these very well and have heard it many times - I wouldn't buy one.

YNMOAN, Aug 24, 2008
  5. ali_x

robM

the 1210 with a Rega ends up sounding like a 1210 with a Rega...if you know what I mean;)

I would still recommend a Rega P3/24 or something like that or a used Pink Triangle PT2 etc etc etc.

robM, Aug 24, 2008
  6. ali_x

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

The Rega is a safe bet it's true :)

YNMOAN, Aug 24, 2008
  7. ali_x

dudywoxer Regaholic

I would suggest you stick something like a denon dl 110 on your current deck, it will cost you £60-70, and see if you think you need to spend any more. The Technics is a much better deck than a lot of the hi-fi press ever gave it credit for. If you need a phone pre amp then Cambridge do the 640 at around the same money.

Something like a Rega P3- P25-P5 will give you a different take on the sound, but better or not is much more down to personal choice rather than a matter of fact. To really better the technics you will have to spen a considerable amount of cash, and need to be more in the Rega P7, Notts Space deck region.

One nice point to consider is that you could re arm the techie with a Rega or Roksan Nima, and then if you later decide to move up the tree, re fit the technics arm, and take the Rega or roksan with you on the journey.

If you decide to jump then have a listen to the Rega's they are a simple to fit, simple to use solution with a very good sound, but distinctly Rega.

dudywoxer, Aug 25, 2008
  8. ali_x

peez

hi fi world did a review of the sl1200, with an audio origami modified rb250, and loved the sound so much they compared it to an sme 10
    i use one myself, with an origin live arm on it and have been amazed by how good it is, and i have listened to some of the better belt drives, it replaced my rega 2 and was far superior imo, and that was with an unmodified rb250,

the best thing is to have a listen to a few decks, and maybe try the better cart in yours route to see how you like the sound, as suggested by dudywoxer, also might be worth reading the sl1200 stuff on KABUSA, loads of info ..... and opinion.

peez, Aug 25, 2008
  9. ali_x

Stuart

there is plenty of potential in the 1200. As advised above, a very good start would be to add a Denom 110 and decent phono stage. Beyond this you could explore the KABUSA mods and/or an alternative arm.

FYI I use a KAB modded 1210 in preference to myLinn LP12/Ittok.

Stuart

Stuart, Aug 25, 2008
  10. ali_x

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

If you're looking for something a little classic/retro, I've a Rotel RP3000 direct drive T/T with an SME 3009 Mk II improved (detachable headshell) that i'm pondering selling.
    These were both bought new by me in 1980 , then put into my parents loft when I emigrated in 1981, and re-discovered last week.
    All fully working with a newish ADC XLM Mk III moving magnet cartridge.

Pure_Carbon, Aug 25, 2008
  11. ali_x

Ian Sampson

SRM Arezzo

I have the SRM Arezzo turntable, with an Audioorigami modified RB250, and a Dynavector D17D3 cartridge.
    The sound is absolutely stunning.

The actual turntable is completely silent.

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

Stuart is a great guy to deal with and i'd thoroughly recommend him.

Ian Sampson, Aug 25, 2008
  12. ali_x

Johnj

I am unable to comment of moified 1200 but reading what some people have been saying it may be worth going down this route
    Here is a link
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201
    Also worth reading the HIfi world review as well.
    The Arezzo is considered to really good but yet again have not heard it.
    If i was in your shoes I would first see how much I can improve the 1200 and then hear others if it does not impress me

Johnj, Aug 25, 2008
  13. ali_x

robM

without trying to stick the boot in too deeply....

I have heard a Sl-1210 with a Rega RB250... there is no way it's as good as a Rega P3/24. The 1210 sound all thin and too 'Technics' like. It certainly doesn't have the presence of the Rega or the soundstage, or detail.

robM, Aug 26, 2008
  14. ali_x

Johnj

I think it all depends on how you modify the 1210 if you go for the KAB mods it is suspossed to take it to another level way beyond most Regas I cannot be sure but there are a few people who opinions I trust that seem to confirm this idea

Johnj, Aug 26, 2008
  15. ali_x

LAAGO LAAGO

Decks

IF YOU MEAN AN LP12?IT4S THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD. I've had one for 20 years & it still looks & plays as new.
    If you want details contact me

Laago

LAAGO, Oct 8, 2008
  16. ali_x

LAAGO LAAGO

I have an LP12 for sale, £1000, as new but 20 years old or so, contact if your interested?

laago

LAAGO, Oct 8, 2008
  17. ali_x

The Devil IHTFP

Correct.

What's your budget?

The Devil, Oct 8, 2008
  18. ali_x

Tenson Moderator

Just to be completely safe, you know you can not scratch or cue on a proper hi-fi deck, right? If you DJ you should keep the Technics for that.

Tenson, Oct 8, 2008
  19. ali_x

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

If you want to sell your deck, put an ad in the classified section.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 8, 2008
  20. ali_x

jack wallst Audio equipment fan

I am a firm follower of the Sony brands. They are really competent at churning out stunning models with great features at amazing regularity. Just decide upon your requirements and choose the model that suits your needs. Good luck...

jack wallst, Oct 9, 2008
Ask a Question