Looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by djwero, Apr 5, 2006.

1. djwero

djwero

Hi guys, first post here, had a good look around at stuff to try find out more about hi-fis and such. (Got here by googling a post in July 2005 with a guy who had the same Hi-Fi as me (Cant find nothing about it hardly)).

Anyway, here is what i currently have:
    Amp (Combined Pre and Power): Sony MHC-EX5
    Speakers: Sony SS-EX-50
    CD Player: Sony CD9-EX10

I have a tapedeck and tuner also (but the tuner display is broke, and i dont do tapes anymore).

As you know this is a very old system, my speakers are kinda damaged and the left one sounds louder than the right.. no idea why and the tweeters dont seem to work.. they dont vibrate at all anyway.

What i listen to/what i want:

I basically listen to hip-hop mostly and some dance. I listen to CDs, and plug my MP3 player in also (which doesn't sound back considering). I plan to hook my computer up to it also. So some loud bass would be nice, and also good sounding bass when music is at a low volume for when i like to chill and parents are in.

I plan to be buying things second hand, as im 18, and don't have much money at the moment, so i basically need information on what to look for, thats cheap and lots better than what i have.

No idea what my amp does or speakers, i don't have the manual, and looked for over an hour for information on the internet.. no luck. But i guess the "50" means something.. 50 watt speakers perhaps? The post i found on here said its 60 watts at 6ohms.

Downstairs my parents have a Sony CMT-CP1 (which actually has good bass but its in our convervatory, so might be able to get it), i'd prefer decks though.

So any advice for what i can do? Take it i get a new amp and speakers.. but whats the spec i should look for? Also could i use the speakers off the CMT-CP1 or the Sony SS-EX-50 speakers as additional speakers so i have 4 speakers? Or get a subwoofer, or buy 4 new speakers or something?

I don't want to spend much, but plan to upgrade as i go, i currently have a small room, so speakers in a stand are the best option, or speakers i can put on my desk either side.

Thanks in advance,
    Ste

djwero, Apr 5, 2006
  2. djwero

AlexTaylor

Budget?

AlexTaylor, Apr 5, 2006
  3. djwero

djwero

Hmm.. I'd say 2-300 second hand..

thats for the amp and speakers. cheaper is always better, i can get better stuff another time. :D

thanks

djwero, Apr 5, 2006
  4. djwero

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Apr 5, 2006
  5. djwero

AlexTaylor

How about....

Creek amp-
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CREEK-4240-IN...9707081540QQcategoryZ3280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JMLab speakers-
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Focal-JMLab-S...ryZ14991QQssPageNameZWD4VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or these speakers, which are great but not as good as the JMLabs IMO-
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REGA-KYTE-Spe...ryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Back-Again-RE...ryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Should leave you with enough for decent interconnects, speaker cable and a load of music or a good CD player!

Happy hunting.
    Alex

AlexTaylor, Apr 5, 2006
  6. djwero

Tenson Moderator

I'd say go with the creek and JMLab Alex has suggested. Forget the interconnects though. Does your CD player have a digital output? If so, get a nice DAC. Maybe a second-hand M-Audio Super DAC. This way your computer gets an upgrade to good sound as well if it also has a digital out!

Tenson, Apr 5, 2006
  7. djwero

djwero

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I've looked up the Creek AMP, and its 40 Watt RMS, would it sound much better than what i currently have if i also get the JMLab speakers, will there be good bass?

Would i also be able to use a centre speaker with the Creek AMP? Says it can handel 2 sets of speakers.

Thanks

djwero, Apr 5, 2006
  8. djwero

Tenson Moderator

40watts is plenty for small speakers like the JMLab. It also has no relation to the 'quality' of the sound (unless seriously underpowered) so don't be overly concerned.

When it says two sets it probably means you can switch between which pair you are driving. e.g. you can have one pair in the kitchen and one in the living room.

I have not heard those JMLab but they have a good name, as do Creek.

The only way I can see of getting better for the money is a pair of active studio monitors and something to control the volume level. This is what I would personally do –

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alesis-M1-Act...405071273QQcategoryZ23786QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are brilliant for the money IMO. Especially that price! A total of 100 watts per speaker. By the way, active means they have the amplifiers built in. These have a separate amp for each driver (better than sharing) and also have active crossovers rather than passive which is another big advantage.

Then get one of these - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Passive-pre-a...ryZ67807QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That will total about £250 and beat off anything else you can find for that money I think. The pre-amp (that’s an input selector and volume control) is a DIY kit but is very simple and extremely high quality. If you really can’t manage to solder a few wires then I will volunteer to do it for you.

You MIGHT even pick up a DAC to upgrade the CD player for £60 or so. Something like this for example - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDIO-ALCHEML...9708238402QQcategoryZ3272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tenson, Apr 5, 2006
  9. djwero

andyoz

I would agree re. the Alesis. Active speakers may be a good option as it is harder to damage them if you get carried away with that hip hop 'n dance material. Note that they don't have grilles - that's the norm with this type of gear.

If you want to avoid eBay, they can be had cheaply on the High Street - see here:

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stockdetail.jsp?sku=ALES-M1MK2&context=BSTOCK

By the way Tenson - do you know of any good little active speakers that I could use with a Squeezebox in the bedroom - they must look decent (grilles are a must) and would prefer they had an auto power ON function when input signal is applied.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2006
    andyoz, Apr 5, 2006
  10. djwero

AlexTaylor

What I was suggesting was from a sound quality point of view, if it's loads of bass and sheer power then I would go with Tenson's suggestion.

AlexTaylor, Apr 5, 2006
  11. djwero

Tenson Moderator

Actually I would go with the Alesis for sound quality as well. They are very good little speakers, quite extended and very tight bass and the bi-amping and active crossovers pay off in the detail and subtlety department.

Another option is the Behringer Truth monitors, but I'm not sure how they sound.

I'm afraid I can't think of any that have an auto-power on function. Do you know of any? Grills... again I can’t think of any off-hand. You could always cover a pair of monitors with fabric though!

Tenson, Apr 5, 2006
  12. djwero

andyoz

andyoz, Apr 5, 2006
  13. djwero

andyoz

My search continues - it just seems a perfect solution to use with a Squeezebox.

andyoz, Apr 5, 2006
  14. djwero

Tenson Moderator

Personaly I don't like KRK but is your choice at the end of the day.

Tenson, Apr 5, 2006
  15. djwero

andyoz

I haven't heard any of these active monitors mentioned TBH. The KRK's are a bit too "Bling" to be taken seriously though.

andyoz, Apr 5, 2006
  16. djwero

djwero

Ahh cool, i'll definatly look into the Alesis M1 Active MK2 Monitor Speakers, I'll keep a look on ebay, and may just get them off the website someone suggested when i save up.

So i just need a pre-amp as the power-amp is built into each speaker. My brother is good with a soldering iron, so i guess he can do it, if not my dad could.

Anyone know the range on the wireless squeezebox? May look into buying one also.

What does the DAC upgrade do?

djwero, Apr 5, 2006
  17. djwero

djwero

Is it worth the extra £80 for the Alesis? Or are the KRKs a very good buy for a small budget for the price? The KRKs also have a power-amp right? so i just need a pre?

djwero, Apr 5, 2006
  18. djwero

Tenson Moderator

I just don't like KRK. Nasty midrange and treble, average bass. I have not heard those little ones but I have worked with the Expose 8 which is a bigger model somewhere around the £2,000 mark.

Tenson, Apr 5, 2006
  19. djwero

djwero

20. djwero

Tenson Moderator

You get what you pay for (to a degree), and the Alesis are some of the very best bang for the buck.

Tenson, Apr 6, 2006
Ask a Question