Looks like it might be headphones for me then...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PeteH, Oct 1, 2004.

1. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

Environmental factors (neighbours) coupled with my increasing appetite for SPLs mean I'm not getting as much use out of my kit as I'd like, so it's time for me to look at a vaguely presentable phones setup (am currently using a Panasonic portable plus mains adapter and Sennheiser 495's :shame: ).

Budget probably £100ish for phones, and I'd consider s/h as long as the seller has nice clean ears and hair - sound to be as clean and clear as possible. There are no headphone sockets on the NADs, so I'll need to look for a modest headphone amp too - not sure how much to spend on that, but preferably not a lot. Suggestions welcome, as are commiserations for this sad state of affairs. I'm trying to see it as an excuse for some unexpected spending though... ;)

PeteH, Oct 1, 2004
  2. PeteH

analoguekid Planet Rush

Peter, I recently bought a pair of ERGO Air motion transfer (like electrostatic), they are exactly the same as the Jecklin Float ergo maid them for jecklin, these need about 3 watts to get moving and are run off the speaker outs, they come with a switchbox, I have mine running into a small mccormack integated, as i didn't want the switch box in line, These speakers are clear and powerful, with great speed and bags of detail, I got mine for £150 on ebay, they are £600 new, they might be what you are after, think they would suit your taste in music, to a tee.

analoguekid, Oct 1, 2004
  3. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

Gosh. Headphones run off the speaker outs? That does sound pretty tempting actually (I only bought my amp fairly recently, it'd be nice to continue to use it :D ).

PeteH, Oct 1, 2004
  4. PeteH

analoguekid Planet Rush

Peter

here is a link http://www.precide.ch/eng/eergo/ergo.htm there's not much info about, but the Floats, were legendary, the one you want is the AMT model, the 1 and 2 are just ordinary cones, stone audio sell the new ones, don't know how often they come up, similar sound to stax, my dealer who sells stax reckons the ERGO's may even sound better than stax on the end of the right amp. Good luck

analoguekid, Oct 2, 2004
  5. PeteH

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Pete.

I have the Beyer 531's that P.B. rates as the best things since sliced bread, and best cans under a ton.

I also have the Creek OBH-21 headphone amp.

I have the boxes for both. The OBH-21 is like new, the cans in pretty good shape, but a little more sign of use.

To be honest, I rarely use them (just because I prefer speakers).

If you're interested PM me an offer.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Oct 2, 2004
  6. PeteH

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I've had my DT531s for 7 years and still think they sound great.

technobear, Oct 2, 2004
  7. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

I'll definitely bear that in mind - I'm going to have a look into the possibility of power-amp-connectable headphones first as I rather like my big NAD, but I certainly can't afford £600 new for those ERGO AMT jobbies. Let me get back to you :)

PeteH, Oct 2, 2004
  8. PeteH

sideshowbob Trisha

Chris, if Pete doesn't want it, I'll take the Creek back off you for what you paid for it, I now find I have a use for it after all!

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 2, 2004
  9. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

Why don't you go ahead - it's probably going to be a while before I'm actually ready to buy anything, and there'll always be more Beyers if I decide to look for a pair.

PeteH, Oct 2, 2004
  10. PeteH

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Anything will be better than the HD495s, they sound smooth but they are also quite liveless and dull. I am not sure what I would buy for £100 though.

amazingtrade, Oct 2, 2004
  11. PeteH

sideshowbob Trisha

You're a gentleman!

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 2, 2004
  12. PeteH

RDD Longterm Lurker

Another big thumbs up for the DT531s. I've just got rid of my HD580s which don't, and never did if I'm honest, suit my ears (far to laid back with a very odd almost "hall effect" eq sound to them when listened to back to back with the DT531s). They are also available for less than your budget from Superfi.

The DT531s have a forward, energetic, and full of life sound, with plenty of bass to boot. They match well to my Creek amp to, not sure how the new range of Creek amps sound (mine is the 11 series not the 21) but they would probably be a good match. Also worth considering in the amp arena is the Rega Ear, I've heard they partner well, I'd like to hear the combo myself TBH, just to see if the Rega takes my fancy :rds2:

RDD, Oct 2, 2004
  13. PeteH

Tenson Moderator

Another 'phone that runs off power amp outputs is the AKG K1000. Also legendary and about £550 new IIRC. I sold mine on eBay a while ago so you may be able to fiind some around £150-250. Can you stretch the budget? They are truly wonderful headphones!

Tenson, Oct 2, 2004
  14. PeteH

PeteH Natural Blue

That does sound really good. Anyone know of any other good headphones that run off power amps? The chances are that getting decent 'phones and a presentable headphone amp would cost me about that much, so I probably may as well go for it.

PeteH, Oct 2, 2004
  15. PeteH

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Ian - you have PM mate.

Basically I dont want to sell the head amp unless I get a buyer for the cans...

I dont want to be stuck with something I cant use.

If you want Beyer's for 50 quid plus p&p (I think thats what I paid, I cant remember) then here they are.

It will mean Ian can have his head amp back too!

:D
    Chris

bottleneck, Oct 2, 2004
  16. PeteH

PBirkett VTEC Addict

DT531 + Rega Ear = :D

'nuff said from me ;)

PBirkett, Oct 2, 2004
  17. PeteH

skp574

I have a pair of DB DT531s too. I can't complain, they go loud when required. They even sound good when plugged into the h/p output of my PC, which can't be bad.

No wished to highjack your thread but I'd be looking for a suitable headphone amp so I can listen to my system. I am limited to listening to MP3s directly from the integrated soundcard on my PC. Yuck!

skp574, Oct 3, 2004
  18. PeteH

PBirkett VTEC Addict

skp574, I'd say try the Rega Ear, for a shade under £120 you certainly arent going to do any better. The DT531's are great cans because they sound pretty good out of almost anything, but give them better amps and sources and they'll respond to them.

PBirkett, Oct 3, 2004
  19. PeteH

RDD Longterm Lurker

Though that's not what the guys here http://www.headfi.org would have you believe....DIY special anyone? :rolleyes:

I'd agree that for the money the Rega is a real bargain, I like my Creek, but at £150 for the cheapest version it's no contest.

RDD, Oct 3, 2004
  20. PeteH

Joolsburger

Rega Ear 2. Black, mint, boxed and hardly used, Offers!

Joolsburger, Oct 5, 2004
Ask a Question