Love Will Tear Us Apart

Discussion in 'General Music' started by amazingtrade, Nov 22, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

This song still continues to amaze me, its 23 years old and sounds modern today. The recording is also very good quality considering the nature of Factory Records. I was clubbing last night and this song came on and the entire club started jumping in the air and dancing it to it.

The best thing is I managed to get a brand new copy on 12" vynil for £2.50:cool: (though it says London Records on it).

amazingtrade, Nov 22, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

If you can find a copy, grab the US pressing of Atmosphere – it looks just like the UK release and carries the same catalogue number (FACUS 2), its identifiable by having 'She's lost control' as the A side and 'Atmosphere' as the flip side (the UK copy is the other way round). The recordings are the same, just the cut is different. The US cut of atmosphere is utterly amazing, the drums just leap out of the speakers – it is an incredibly dynamic and punchy record, one of the best sounding 12†singles I've ever heard.

Tony.

TonyL, Nov 23, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've got Atmosphere on my Love Will Tear Apart single though I am guessing its the same as pressing as the original version.

It does sound bloody great though, I've got the same song on CD and the vynil version is much better. Martin Hannack has a genius producer.

amazingtrade, Nov 23, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

adam

I too have the joy division love will tear us apart 12" brilliant stuff!

adam, Nov 23, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

HenryT

Something I always notice, as general point, and that's whenever I've been clubbing that the dance floor always fills up and the crowd goes wild whenever a retro track comes on amongst the usual current chart stuff. :)

HenryT, Nov 23, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

HANNETT dear boy - tsk tsk tsk.... ;)

If you like that, you have GOT to track down "Martin" - a compilation on Factory released after his death. It's FAC 325, and it's quite rare. Henryt has it on vinyl (lucky git!) but I've got a promo CD copy - which I intend to get signed by John Cooper Clarke when I see him live next month! (I'll also get my battered copy of Disguise in love on vinyl signed if I can - along with my orange vinyl plectrum shaped single (forgotten the title))

How hard is it to get the US version of Atmosphere, Tony? That's an amazing track...

I got Still on double vinyl for £2 last week - a bit crackly (even after cleaning) but pees all over the CD version. I'd like to get Unknown pleasures on vinyl soon as well, as that CD is a bit thin sounding...

Oh yeah - Henry - the reason everyone goes wild when a decent tune comes on in a club is that all that chart crap only appeals to under 13s. Why the DJs assume people old enough to drink want to hear that shite is beyond me....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2003
    domfjbrown, Nov 24, 2003
  7. amazingtrade

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

To be honest I've only ever seen a couple of copies, but it really easy to miss as the covers are identical from the front. The differences are the order of tracks on the back cover and the US one has a black record label, the UK one is white. I've got both a US and a UK pressing.

That's a great price for Still. You have to get a copy of Unknown Pleasures on vinyl – its their best sounding album and it craps all over either the standard CD or the slightly better master on the Heart And Soul box set. The vinyl really is worlds apart from the CDs. Try and find a first pressing; should have a textured sleeve, printed inner and the vinyl is actually very dark red if you hold it up to a bright light (UK first pressings of Atmosphere are on the dark red vinyl too). There are lots of later import pressings of Unknown Pleasures around which are not as good, these have a smooth sleeve and maybe a bar-code.

Tony.

TonyL, Nov 24, 2003
Ask a Question