Lovely Little Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Jun 8, 2004.

1. merlin

merlin

Guys,

for those of you who covet the minimonitor, and eugolise the LS3/5A and it's clones, I currently have the pleasure of borrowing what has to be one of the finest of that breed.

I refer to the 10 year old Dynaudio Micron, a small sealed enclosure similar in size to the LS3/5A and designed for use near walls.

If you see a pair going s/h (sadly these are not for sale), get them! The closest thing to panels I've heard in a long time. No colouration, wildly good soundstaging, and vocals to die for.

Sadly due to the pathetic 82dbw efficiency and 4 ohm load, they won't suit headbangers or those with low powered amps.

But they truly are a great, if sadly neglected speaker IMO.

merlin, Jun 8, 2004
  2. merlin

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You know you want a pair of K2's really :cool:

technobear, Jun 9, 2004
  3. merlin

Paul Duerden

Merlin,

Have you any idea what drivers they used?

Paul Duerden, Jun 9, 2004
  4. merlin

merlin

Paul,

I wish I did but details are scarce. It looks like an Esotec 1" tweeter with the 4" Cone/Dome as seen an numerous high end three ways.

I do know they retailed for £1500 in the early nineties. If anyone can shed any light on further details I'd be interested - they are quite exceptional. I'd be interested to put them up against a good pair of LS3/5A's or some ESL57's, they share very similar strengths.

merlin, Jun 9, 2004
  5. merlin

joel Shaman of Signals

Try them against a pair of Harb P3s. I'd be interested in your findings there.

joel, Jun 9, 2004
  6. merlin

merlin

I haven't heard the P3 Joel and don't sadly have access to a pair.

Would you say it improves on the LS3/5a?

merlin, Jun 9, 2004
  7. merlin

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Not according to the current HiFi News, where they comapred 5 LS3/5a sized speakers to the original and they all lost out.

I might have a pair to play with :rolleyes: (4 the last count, 2 real ones and 2 based on kits)

LiloLee, Jun 9, 2004
  8. merlin

merlin

I must admit Lee that's what I thought. But it would be interesting to try these little babies against the "legend", I'd be interested in your opinion.

Here they are really in too big a room to be fair, but listen nearfield and they are somewhat shockingly good to my ears.

I do like Harbeths though;)

Oh and apparently the reason no Proac appeared in the review you referred to was the second of KK's possibilities as I understand it!

merlin, Jun 9, 2004
  9. merlin

Of the 5 the little BlueNote came top and the Harbeth bottom :eek:
    Truth, of course, is never believe reviewers and listen for yourself. Mind you Alan Shaw of Harbeth is very out spoken about how much he hates (nearly as much as Leonard Smalls) the LS3/5a's, so probably has ruffled KK's feathers once too often. Hence nothing from Harbeth will get a good review.

Oh and to pin my colours to the mast I use some large Harbeth monitors at home.

Michael I'm very busy at the moment but will try to get round, even if it's only for a hour or 2. How about his weekend? PM me.

LiloLee, Jun 9, 2004
  10. merlin

joel Shaman of Signals

Lee, Merlin,
    I think the P3s are quite different to LS3/5s, and possibly closer to the dyns (maybe, possibly...).
    FWIW, Alan is a *big* proponant of nearfield listening, and all Harbs (!!!) can be listened to like this, according to him.
    BTW, pinning my colours to the mast, I also use Harbeths (in case I hadn't made that clear) :)
    My ProAc Tablettes of ancient origin also sound v.good in the near field, and I can understand why so many people like ProAc. I still think they make everything a tad "nice", but are very good nonetheless. The Tablettes are currently doing excellent work as monitors in a Mac-based video editing system at the office. They're not getting my Harbs for that!

joel, Jun 10, 2004
  11. merlin

Joel

I think that most modern speakers of the same size sound different.

I can't see the point of trying to emulate a speaker that in reality doesn't have a great deal of bass, can't go too loud, sounds best either nearfield ie 1 -2 metres away or have them in the middle of the room and can't take too high a wattage of amplifier.

And I'm a fan, imagine what Alan Shaw says about them:eek:

LiloLee, Jun 10, 2004
  12. merlin

joel Shaman of Signals

Very true, and that makes a comaprative test with modern mini monitors a bit meaningless in the end...
    I like LS3/5s, too. The legend is greater than the reality, but they are still fine speakers in their own way (not for me, though).
    I suspect AS views LS3/5s in much the same way he would view any other old BBC monitor... They were so ubiquitous, it's easy to see why people would become p****d off and bored with them.

joel, Jun 11, 2004
  13. merlin

grivois

My first set of speakers were LS3/5As (hand downs from my dad), now I've got P3s.
    The French LS3/5A Forum members are having a LS3/5a v clone tournament. So far, it's round one to the LS3/5As:

http://www.ls3-5a-forum.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=1ls35a

The problem with P3s, is that they take forever to break-in. I bought mine S/H, and even through they had 6-months on them, they weren't even fully broken-in.

grivois, Jun 11, 2004
Ask a Question