Low energy light bulbs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pete693, Dec 28, 2011.

1. pete693

pete693

Just curious to know if anyone has had trouble with the above in relation to HI-FI remote controls. My remote (Quad) refuses to work on the "stand by" or "volume control" buttons when a nearby low energy bulb is switched on. All other buttons / functions work O.K.. Switch the bulb off and everything is working again. I guess that there is some infra-red interference generated by the bulb. It is worse when the lamp is fist switched on, i.e. cold. Other than ditch the bulb is there any other cure (apart from sitting in the dark) ?

Pete.

pete693, Dec 28, 2011
  2. pete693

RobHolt Moderator

Never had that problem myself but clearly it is the bulb.
    I'd try swapping it for a different brand and see if that fixes the issue.

RobHolt, Dec 28, 2011
  3. pete693

Tenson Moderator

Just an idea but you could try a bulb with a different spectrum of light. Perhaps a natural daylight bulb.

It might also be the circuit in the bulb interrupting the IR receiver but I find that unlikely.

Tenson, Dec 29, 2011
  4. pete693

pete693

Low energy bulbs

I have just been experimenting with different bulbs.I tried bulbs made by three different manufacturers ,ranging from 18 to 23 watts. All of them give the same problem with the remote but only for approx 10-15 mins from lamp first switch-on.After that time everything works normally.
    The remote control for the Quad is very powerful.Normally it can be pointed anywhere in the room and will still work even if directed 180 degrees away from the system.When the lights are first switched on the remote will not work even if closely directed towards the system.As the lights get nearly up to temperature the remote sensitivity returns.
    What happens when these lamps are first switched on I'm not sure but they either screw up the codes going out from the remote or they block the receiving circuit in the amp.

Pete.

pete693, Dec 29, 2011
  5. pete693

Werner

I have a media player that reacts to an energy saving lamp 12 meters away from it.

Werner, Dec 29, 2011
Ask a Question