low power tube amps: questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Mar 19, 2008.

1. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

As part of an experiment for a possible second system I'm considering a low power 8watts per channel power amp but a quality british design- its a push pull design too which means little to me not being very technical. It hasn't arrived yet.

Should this work with quad speakers esl63's - have heard that low power quads do? If not what are ideal speakers with this low power ? I also thought I read somewhere that push pull :confused: is very good thing for electrostatics - is this true? Any comments advice much appreciated - was going to partner with an active pre, I have an old Hafler DH101 which I recall as being very good indeed if rather dated. :)

larkrise, Mar 19, 2008
  2. larkrise

anubisgrau

larkrise, watch out, you might get addicted;)
    IMHO, the quality of a valve amp has most to do with 1) power regulation 2) OPTs - and lot less with a choice of output tubes. i'm sure many users here can testimony how the amps using the same output tubes can sound very different in difficult areas for small power valve amps (bass control, dynamics) just depending on quality of output transformers and power supply.
    yours seems like a variation of EL84 or 6V6 pentode design unless it's EL34 in a triode mode. others will say how it goes with 63s, i've only heard them with EL34/KT88/KT90 amps but we are talking 30w/ch there. the problem you are most about to witness is a quality of bass and drive.... but mids will be very nice for sure;)

anubisgrau, Mar 19, 2008
  3. larkrise

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Larkrise - if you're looking at 8w per channel - and that's all you need - going push pull is madness IMO.

A good 300B SET will give you 9-11watts, so why go to the (generally) sonically inferior push-pull topology?

Generally, people go push pull when they want more power.. which is a great reason to do so.

I rate and use the Glasshouse 300B (on hificollective.com). This is a well made british amp, designed by Andy Grove of Audionote, and uses audionote transformers. Other components are upgradeable. Stock levels are low, so you may have a wait to get one.

Moving up in power, I'd personally look at a) a more powerful tube and stay SET, and then.. parallel single ended or push-pull for greatest power.

bottleneck, Mar 19, 2008
  4. larkrise

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

There is EAR 859 for sale on hififorsale for smth like £790 - it is ( provided this particular item is in good shape) a trouble free 13 good watts SET with cheap tubes, from a reputable designer - a great place to start. It is not mine if you ask, but I own a very similar 869.

Nomoretweaks, Mar 20, 2008
  5. larkrise

anubisgrau

apart from being technical a SET, would anyone care to compare the sound of EAR 859 or 869 with the sound of DHT SETs, 300b, 2A3, 211, 845 etc.

anubisgrau, Mar 21, 2008
  6. larkrise

Thanks for all the tips. Infact I am buying a Tube Technology Synthesis integrated (these were a whopping £9000 when new) and I have heard very good things about them - 150 watts integrated. It's not here yet. But I accidentally (!) have started out on trying a low watt system too and will be interested to compare. I'll report back if anyone is curious. I'm also about to get my esl63's serviced. My biggest find has been an old EAR 802 preamp whch sounds absolutely fantastic - so good I sold my Matisse reference and THAT was the best preamp I had heard - it went to Hong Kong!

larkrise, Mar 21, 2008
  7. larkrise

anubisgrau

what's the quality of EAR 802 bass compared to 864?

anubisgrau, Mar 21, 2008
  8. larkrise

Better. More rounded, defined, just. . . . there, in the picture!

When I have a good listen with new kit will let you know Gordan - the 802 MAY be for sale but I don't know at the moment this has to be one of the great unknown special secrets of hi fi preamps. It took 15 minutes to decide it was very close to the Matisse and considerably better than the 864 - but this was with Mullards NOS.

larkrise, Mar 21, 2008
  9. larkrise

anubisgrau

well, maybe it's better to send you my recent findings on 864 in private. not so good. mine is with mullard NOS too.

anubisgrau, Mar 21, 2008
  10. larkrise

Blue Note

I heard that Tube Technology has gone bust - is that true do you know?

Blue Note, Mar 21, 2008
  11. larkrise

I hope not! :( I do know that the owner had recent bereavement issue and has subsequently taken time out. A couple of dealers and TT owners also said that this was the case rather than anything untoward.

EDIT: Blue note - you might be right but nothing confirmed, so I hope not, in any event i gather these are pretty standard serviceable

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
    larkrise, Mar 22, 2008
  12. larkrise

Please do Gordan!:D

larkrise, Mar 22, 2008
Ask a Question