LP problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, Jan 20, 2004.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

I've got two problems at the moment, one is that I am suffering from bad distortion at the ends of each side, have played with anti-skate endlessly, but can't solve it that way. The player is a P3. The other is that I bought a beautiful looking St John Passion the other day, but whenever that record is loud there is a huge amount of static noise in the speakers, again causing distortion, when the records quiet it's not there and it sounds lovely. I've tried running the records through the Disco Anti-stat but to no avail. Is the record peppered, or should I try again. I'm wondering if they are moisture damaged, or is my cartridge peppered.
    Any ideas would be welcome

lordsummit, Jan 20, 2004
  2. lordsummit

The Devil IHTFP

Sounds like mis-tracking. Check the stylus is clean, the platter is perfectly level, and downforce & bias are OK.

Then consider a Mana table.

The Devil, Jan 20, 2004
  3. lordsummit

mick parry stroppy old git

Bub

You coming up with something like "Then consider a Mana table."
    is becoming as predictable as Steven Toy coming up with waffle at 3.30 in the morning.

Take a holiday, you seem to need one.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 20, 2004
  4. lordsummit

Ed Needham

End of side distortion is a classic dead cartridge symptom. I'm assuming that is reasonably aligned and set up correctly. Most carts really only last for about 2-3 years of regular use and people don't realise how old they are. A chap brought in an LP12 today for a service, reckoned that the cart was about 3 years old - it was a Linn K9, last made 8 years ago!

Cheers,

Ed.

Ed Needham, Jan 20, 2004
  5. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

I'm almost certain it's dead cart time. I've probably put 600+ hours on it since I had it. Will have to raise funds for a new one now though. What suggestions for a P3 then?

lordsummit, Jan 20, 2004
  6. lordsummit

Ed Needham

New cart

Obviously depends on how much you fancy spending. The Ortofon 510 or 520 work well in a Planar 3, I have a Dynavector 10x4 in mine and it is great. There's also the various Rega carts, but the way that the Dynavector killed my old Elys, I'd have a think before simply staying with Rega (which I'm guessing you are currently using).

Cheers,

Ed.

It may be freezin up there, but it gets almost sub-tropical once you cross the Ship Canal...

Ed Needham, Jan 20, 2004
  7. lordsummit

space cadet Far out...

I stuck a Goldring 1042 on my rpm4 and it's the best money I've ever spent, you can change the stylus on it as well in 2-3 years time.

space cadet, Jan 20, 2004
  8. lordsummit

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Mick,

Frankly I don't give a monkey's what the guy does with his turntable and or cartridge, just give me one reason why I should care. You are mistaking me for someone who worries what other people may or may not choose to spend their money on.

Go for the NAP 300, you know you want it, sir.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2004
    The Devil, Jan 21, 2004
  9. lordsummit

Lord .

'summit - it does sound like a dead or badly aligned cartridge. Before you buy a new cartridge buy the HFNRR test LP (if you haven't already) this has a wonderful setup protractor and all the bleeps to test it afterwards. Regarding a new cartridge I'd agree with the 1042 types if you are thinking MM, I have owned a DNM Reson Mica (one of the later clone/developments) and it was lovely. For MC the budget Dynavectors seem to be recommended often.

Devil, sorry to intrude on your ongoing private squabbles but if you don't give a monkeys why did you bother posting? :rolleyes:

Lord, Jan 21, 2004
  10. lordsummit

The Devil IHTFP

Because I was trying to be helpful.

The Devil, Jan 21, 2004
  11. lordsummit

Lord .

Devil - Yet again - incredible...!
    With one post you ask for reasons why you should give a monkey's... and then you answer your own question with "I was trying to be helpful". Please excuse me for troubling you, I will not repeat the mistake.

Lordsummit - I'd be interested as to how you get along.

Lord, Jan 21, 2004
  12. lordsummit

The Devil IHTFP

I'll slow down a bit for you o Lord..... I was trying to be helpful, but when all is said & done, do I really, really care whether my advice is taken or not?

Er...not really: it's not my problem, is it? The same goes for patients. I give them advice, some will choose not to take my advice, fair enough, it's their life not mine.

It is well worth checking that the TT platter is level, and costs nothing. But if someone has an itchy chequebook and fancies a new cartridge instead, fine.

The Devil, Jan 21, 2004
  13. lordsummit

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Re: New cart

I can also confirm that Ortofon 520/30/40 and the Dynavector 10x4 (before I bust it :() work really well in a P3 :)

I've not heard the Goldrings, but the Orts seem to have a real synergy with the Regas; my old 530 is on the NAD 533 (oem P2) and the 540 is on my P3 - both sound great.

I want a 10x5 when my Ort gets tired though - though as of now it's probably got about 100 hours on it so a while yet :)

domfjbrown, Jan 21, 2004
  14. lordsummit

Goomer

I'm with Devil here, as I'd definitely check all the usual stuff first before splashing out cash.

If you have got to replace the cartridge, my recommendation would be to find a used Shure V15III cartridge with a genuine Shure stylus(nornally about £50.00):- for the price of US$50.00 you'll be able to send your old Shure stylus off to Shure USA and get a brand new VN35MR in exchange. This cartridge would, IMHO, be a great match for your deck/arm and will see off pretty much all of the moving magnet competition around, regardless of price.

As I said, though, IMHO.

:)

Goomer, Jan 21, 2004
  15. lordsummit

greeny

I'd get an alighment protractor and test this first. You cartridge should last much longer than 600 hrs if it hasn't been abused.

Is the disortion equal in both channels or biased to one or the other, and does this bias change when you adjust the antiskate?

greeny, Jan 21, 2004
  16. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

No I can't really hear the anti-skate doing anything at the moment. If anything the LH channel is weaker than the RH one. There is a protractor in the box the turntable came with, I might try that one, and have a little play.
    How much are the Ortofon Dynavectors? Will maybe have to wait until later in the year and do some saving.
    Thanks for all your help so far, any other ideas welcome.

lordsummit, Jan 21, 2004
  17. lordsummit

Ed Needham

Ortofon 510 is £45, 520 is £80. The Dynavector DV10x5 is a high output moving coil and is in a different price league @ £250. It's a treat!

Ed.

Ed Needham, Jan 21, 2004
  18. lordsummit

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

...and the Ortofon 540 is now £150 - I found that out when I wrote off my Dynavector... :(

domfjbrown, Jan 22, 2004
  19. lordsummit

Goomer

You may want to do a seller search on ebay for a guy in Japan, 2juki, and email him/her. Several people from pinkfish have purchased successfully, I think, and he's had Ortofon 540's for sale previously for about £85.00 brand new. 2juki doesn't have the 540's listed at present but I think it's probably worth asking.

Hope that's of use,

Goomer.

Goomer, Jan 22, 2004
Ask a Question