LP12 upgrade, or not....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Oct 20, 2005.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

I have an early LP12 (ser no: 12,055) with a Grace G707 arm and Linn K5 cartridge. It's a nice old deck in good condition but I am well aware that it could be a lot better.

So, do I try to upgrade the LP12 (on the cheap - I just quit my job so am a bit skint) or do I sell for what I can get and buy something else? I reckon I could get maybe £250 for the LP12 as it's fairly clean.

la toilette, Oct 20, 2005
  2. la toilette

lordsummit moderate mod

I've never heard it but by reputation the Grace isn't a bad arm. For £250 I don't think you'll improve anything really. I'd buy it a new belt, go to PFM and get Tony L's instructions for setting it up, and buy it a Denon 103. That'll cost you about £100 in total. That should bring it up in standard. The LP12 is a great deck especially at that price level. I can't think of anything that would significantly improve it, or TBH that would better it. You'd have to triple your money to make a significant improvement. If you want to improve the arm you'll also have to spend a lot of money. The Rega options reputedly aren't at their best on a wobbly deck, so you're looking at some more expensive options, or second hand Linn's
    That's what I'd do if it were mine.
    You'll find the set up manual here:
    http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/frameset.htm

lordsummit, Oct 20, 2005
  3. la toilette

anon_bb Honey Badger

Try the new funk firm deck?

anon_bb, Oct 20, 2005
  4. la toilette

Stuart

Hi,

Keep the LP12 and upgrade a few bits as you see fit. Definately get the setup manual from PFM and as a minimum buy a new belt. I'd be tempted to change the arm. The Grace was probably good in its day, but that was long ago. A Rega ought to be a step up and, given you've got an older plinth without the braces, ought to be a relatively easy install (requiring a new arm board). If you feel like being a bit more lavish on the arm front, the Roksan Nima is getting plenty of good press (search PFM for a couple of threads about Nimaing LP12s).

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Oct 21, 2005
  5. la toilette

zanash

If you like the linn sound .....upgrade the psu and the cart ...the denon is good. Set it up nicely make certain its sat on a light rigid stand and enjoy ......[not my cup of tea !]

If you want a different sound look to the Nottingham range of TT's or the gyrodec or orb. The regas will be a step back IMO.

zanash, Oct 21, 2005
  6. la toilette

griffo104

As mentioned above - go for the Nima if you can. I'm still not convinced of an RB300 on the LP12.

As for selling the deck - depends how much you are willing to spend. I'm assuming you don't have a Lingo but last time I looked that cost £750, Cirkus upgrade was £350. These may have got more expensive since then.

The Funk Firm decks look very interesting the Pink Triangle decks were always enjoyable. I read that they can come packaged with a Rega arm and DL103 cart - or that was implied in KK's review in hifi News.

If you decide to sell it there are some great decks out there
    Under £1k
    Funk Firm
    Michell Tecnodec
    Roksan Radius 5 (with the Nima arm)
    Rega P5

Over the £1k (once an arm has been added)
    Michell Gyrodec
    Origin Live decks
    Notts analogue
    Roksan Xerces
    Bluenote decks
    Rega P7

I got £600 for my LP12 (Akito/cirkus/Lingo) when I sold it recently and bought a Michell Orbe. Have to admit I don't regret selling the LP12.

griffo104, Oct 21, 2005
  7. la toilette

Ken

I would have to agree with others, that in your position I would keep the LP12.

The LP12 is and always has been a very good deck. The days when it was described as the “best†turntable are long behind it, (if it ever was), however I would still place in the top 1% - (better than 99% of the others).

Although I have currently moved away from the LP12, I am speaking from my own experience, as I have owned numerous versions (probably 6 or 7) over the years (last one with a 90??? Serial number). Arms used from the Grace 707 through Ittok II & III and had the use of an Ekos for nearly one year, have also used RB300, Alphason HR100, original Mission 774, Hadcock and Naim Aro. Using many many cartridges.

On the LP12 I would rate the Grace 707 as being far more musical than the RB 300.

If you just want to change then do so, you can always buy another at a later date.

If you want to update, start with the suspension, (usually available on e-bay for £20 or so) plus setting up, word of warning be careful and make sure you use the correct oil if your inner shaft bearing has a white coloured liner.

Then upgrade the power supply when you can afford it, go either Valhalla, again through e-bay, or better still buy an internet copy of the Armageddon.

First thing to do, change the K5, try either a Denon 103 or a half decent MM if you do not have a MC capability (maybe a Goldring).

Ken, Oct 21, 2005
  8. la toilette

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Really excellent advice from almost everyone.

I would look at the following:

Home made Armageddon-alike power supply ~£70-100 in parts
    Rega RB300 or ideally Roksan Nima £450 + armboard
    Nirvana kit of not done already £?
    New motor if yours is at all noisy
    New oil in teh bearing
    New belt £?
    New cartridge ... Denons get good praise. I also recommend the Ortofon 500 series and Dynavector 10X5 if you can only choose MM.

If you are non-technically minded or can't be bothered to waste quite a bit of time then a dealer service (assuming a good dealer) is well worth the money in my experience.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Oct 21, 2005
  9. la toilette

anon_bb Honey Badger

I beleive the funk V with arm and cartridge is £1k - you would doubtless get a few 100 for the linn, maybe £300. A lot less hassle than upgrading the linn and dare I say it - a much better sound this way.

anon_bb, Oct 21, 2005
  10. la toilette

lordsummit moderate mod

BBV you miss the point, this is a budget upgrade, your's is a £700 upgrade!!

lordsummit, Oct 21, 2005
  11. la toilette

anon_bb Honey Badger

Its still less than Rejoyces plan! ;)

Well you could just transfer the existing arm and cartridge ... its half the price then.

anon_bb, Oct 21, 2005
  12. la toilette

lordsummit moderate mod

Have you heard the funk or are you going on prior reputations?

lordsummit, Oct 21, 2005
  13. la toilette

anon_bb Honey Badger

I have heard the funk. Being a bit of a cynic I never trust reputations in the hifi world as they usually turn out to be dissapointing.

Arthur even lent me an achromat to try on the brinkmann - I couldnt hear any difference though.

anon_bb, Oct 21, 2005
  14. la toilette

lordsummit moderate mod

He doesn't appear to be going to the Manchester show next weekend. Shame would have liked to have heard it.

lordsummit, Oct 21, 2005
  15. la toilette

anon_bb Honey Badger

I believe he is doing a show on the continent - thats the excuse he gave me for not having fixed my de capo dac yet anyway!

I think the Funk V gives a pretty good account of itself and an improvement on the tarentella which was already very good. Seems to have better timing and bass and runs at the right speed this time ;). I am still itching to hear arthurs "ultimate" deck pitted against my brinkmann - Arthur seemed up for it when I played him my system.

anon_bb, Oct 21, 2005
  16. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

Lots of interesting and helpful opinons, thanks.

Based upon various recommendations it seems to me that my best and most economical option is to keep the LP12 and upgrade in stages as and when I can afford it; probably starting with a new cartridge (the Denon 103) and continuing with new springs (just cos they're cheap, ha ha), and probably a 2nd hand valhalla off ebay or wherever (mind you the diy armageddon looks achieveable too). I'll keep the Grace for the time being.

I've downloaded the setup manual (thanks for the link lordsummit) so I might start tinkering today, hooray! :D

See, there are some advantages to being a work-shy fop, I can play with my hifi when I really should be out chipping at the rock face!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
    la toilette, Oct 21, 2005
  17. la toilette

Stuart

Cool - sounds like a plan.

Do remember to check the bearing and give it a change of oil (appropriate for the type). I forgot to mention that earlier. Take your time with the suspension, it can be a frustrating task, especially if its the first time you've done it.

Stuart.

Stuart, Oct 21, 2005
Ask a Question