Lumley Lampros Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by liamjf, Apr 17, 2004.

1. liamjf

liamjf

I see that Sounds Of Music have a special offer on prototypes of their latest models. Does anyone have any knowledge of these and how much room they need etc?

Cheers, Liam.

liamjf, Apr 17, 2004
  2. liamjf

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I've heard the old 300s (very nice, good bass, beautiful finish, great soundstage) which were about 3' high. Need a couple of fett all round to work best.
    I've also heard the new 100s - which had all the nice top end of the old 300, give or take a smidge, but was warned by JJ not to go too loud or they'd pop. So not for me!
    He took us down to hear the big 2000s as well (powered by Boulder with Advantage cdp) which are nearly 6' high and need plenty freespace. Sounded brilliant - though despite their 11 drivers seemed to have quite a small "sweet spot". They went very loud though!

So in other words, if you don't like it rock concert loud, the 100s are fine, but for me the best buy, price vs. performance would be the 300s (apparently they sound very similar to the old ones.)

Good thing is JJ will let you (after you've paid of course) try any speakers until you're happy - though I stuck with the 1st I bought in in both cases, Clearaudio TT and Advantage cdp.

leonard smalls, Apr 18, 2004
  3. liamjf

liamjf

Funnily enough, it was the 200s I was looking at. Is JJ the owner then?

liamjf, Apr 19, 2004
  4. liamjf

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

JJ is John Jeffries, and runs S.O.M, Metropolis music and Lumley.
    And all the Lampros speakers are handsome beasties - though some finishes can be a bit strange.
    Still, they're very good value as prototypes - JJ said they were identical apart from the sloping baffle.

leonard smalls, Apr 19, 2004
Ask a Question