Luxman L-505f

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mikesand, May 16, 2009.

1. Mikesand

Mikesand

Anyone used one of these?
    Not sure when it was built or how much it differs from current models - but have chance to buy one for around £1,300. Currently ampless and was thinking about valves eg Pure Sound A30 etc
    Any thoughts / experiences much appreciated.

Mikesand, May 16, 2009
  2. Mikesand

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I think they came out about 3-4 years ago. The current model is the L-505u which I think is only very slightly different. So its quite a recent model, could be some ex-demo ones around.

They also made the more powerful 507f and 509f but are now only doing the 505u (100W) and 550 (which is 30W pure class A).

I quite fancy one myself.... heard some say they are better than equivalent Accuphase amps, which they are direct competitors with.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
    alanbeeb, May 16, 2009
  3. Mikesand

Colin2040

Regarding Luxman, I have just completed my listening tests for a new integrated and ultimately decided on the latest Luxman 505.
    I would think the f version would be good .I looked for an amp that could meet certain criteria knowing that ultimately I would compromise. How wrong I was the Luxman really trounced the competition. It is an incredible listening experience , fit and finish is great and the rock solid image is fabulous.The bass is out of this world it really is a first class contendor. Whether at high levels or low levels all the detail remains. So I would heartily recommend a Luxman. It was the only audition that I never really looked at the piece of kit all I did was listen to the music and it plays anything. So if you are looking for an integrated its reallly worth looking at and £1300 for an f is pretty good. Hope I am not breaking rules here but I must mention the dealer as well, great service and venue. I am not affiliated in any way to the dealer but when someone provides such a good listening experience,also recommended other amps to listen to that they werent dealers off. So thanks to Audio Emotion.

Colin2040, May 16, 2009
  4. Mikesand

Mikesand

Thanks Alan and Colin.
    Manufactories labels always tricky - jump from f to u! Yes - getting lost in the music rather than the equipment is the aim and Colin's experience is encouraging. The 70s retro style and all those meters etc are a bit off putting (hence the original post) but clearly don't get in the way. Thanks for the AE reference - wish lived nearer to them.

Mikesand, May 17, 2009
  5. Mikesand

Colin2040

Well Mike I come from really minimal kit ad almost always valves, to an integrated it with all manner of knobs and buttons.The meters are great ,nice baby blue lights but its a big amp and it really sounds good. I had the dealer use their software to optomise my room and have just spent the morning reorganising furniture and my kit.Just stop sweating and I am sitting back listening to probably the best sounds I have heard out of my system. The amp does have a lot of facilities most of which I wont use but its just so musical I just had to go for it.Give one a try I dont think you will be disappointed.

Colin2040, May 17, 2009
  6. Mikesand

RSC

At a slight tangent here: a dozen or more years ago, when I was starting to get very serious about my hi-fi, I bought a Luxman SQ1220 amp - it stayed with me for quite some time when all other boxes were swapped with monotonous regularity!

Fast forward to earlier this year: now married and having settled stopped chasing the pot of gold at the end of the high end rainbow, I'd settled into a comfortable life with a 'music playing system' but the urge to listen was waning (we're talking approx. £1k amp, same for CD here, so not bad kit).

As I'm sure many do, I did a quick recce of eBay and found a Luxman SQ507x up for auction... to cut a long story short, I didn't win the auction but something sparked.

Two/three months later, scanning eBay again and the same amp is being listed: this time I win the auction.

The amp has been with me for about a month now and is used every day - I'm listening as much now as I ever did. What 'Colin2040' says above echoes how I feel - ignore the facilities, sit back and enjoy the music. Certainly very close to (if not) the best sounds I've ever had, too.

This from a late 1960's to early/mid 1970's amplifier... my point being that Luxman amps not only sound great but are built to last.

Would definitely go for it if you like what it does - you may never need another amp!

RSC, May 17, 2009
  7. Mikesand

Mikesand

Thanks guys - will ignore those retro tone controls and so forth. What I needed was the push away from the valves - low power - which was the way I was headed. Will now get serious about lots of power, meters and such like. Away (work) currently but will update when back in the UK with my impressions - should I be able to get the 'beast' !

Mikesand, May 20, 2009
  8. Mikesand

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Why ignore the tone controls? They are excellent for bringing life back to old LPs that have been played too many times. More amps should have them.

alanbeeb, May 20, 2009
Ask a Question