Lyngdorf TDAI-2200?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by AlliumPorrum, Jan 29, 2011.

1. AlliumPorrum

AlliumPorrum

Does anyone have experience on this Lyngdorf's integrated digital amp with RoomPerfect? I'm planning to pair my small Magneplanars with it, and all experiences are very much appreciated!

I'm quite sure about the quality of the RoomPerfect, since I have read so much great reviews about it. But, I'm not yet quite convinced about the quality of the pre/power amplifier part itself (compared to other amps on the 2-3k€ class). Some reviews say that it's awesome, other point out some problems with either bass effect or quality of treble. So, it might be quite speaker dependent, and I would be really thankful if you could share your experiences in your own setup. Anyone using Maggies...?

AlliumPorrum, Jan 29, 2011
  2. AlliumPorrum

muz640

Yes they are a good amp, but double the price they used to be, You can equal SQ for less (but of course you wont get the functionality)

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/LyngdorfAudio-UG/

Best ask above, as this is the most comprehensive collection of information. With the right speakers or in 2+2 active set up (two main monitors and two subs) the sound can be exceptional, but the right speakers are a must as there is nothing much between you and the recording!
    I was never really very keen on the roomperfect as it could make everything seem lifeless, much preferred the older DSP program.

This review of the (very) similar TacT in bang on the money http://www.stereotimes.com/amp100103.shtml

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
    muz640, Jan 29, 2011
  3. AlliumPorrum

Shuggie

As a long time user of a Lyngdorf TDA-2200 (pre RP version), I can happily state that no amplifier I have tried has toppled it from my system. The last pretender was a Leben CS-600, which was just not in the same class for musicality (beautifully built, though). The Lyngdorf, when set up carefully, has great power and control, but with pretty much all the delicacy and lucidity of a good valve amp, but without the heat, expense and electricity bills.

Shuggie, Jan 29, 2011
  4. AlliumPorrum

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I've heard the Lyngdorf TDAI-2200 and tried it with, and without, Room Perfect. I was impressed with RP's ability to compensate for close to wall positioning of the speakers. However, when the speakers were brought out into the room I was less convinced by its usefulness and ultimately preferred the sound with it out of circuit - even then, I found the sound a touch on the 'polite' side.

I've heard the Leben too and .....didn't like it (to cut to the chase) - it did sound quite different to the Lyngdorf though.

YNMOAN, Jan 29, 2011
  5. AlliumPorrum

Stuart

I use the TDAI 2200 with large Tannoys and a Velodyne DD15. It works very well, gets out of the way and let's all the music through.

Stuart, Jan 30, 2011
  6. AlliumPorrum

Tenson Moderator

I had a good experience with the older DRC2.2 and it was a superb pre-amp and DAC (no power amp in it).

I'm less convinced about Room Perfect, as there are some things digital correction should be used for, and others it shouldn't. What are your issues with the rooms sound? Basically, room modes and boundary enforcement (or lack of) it is great, but bright reflective rooms it can't fix, it simply acts as a tone control.

Tenson, Jan 30, 2011
  7. AlliumPorrum

AlliumPorrum

I wouldn't call my living room bright or reflective. The problem is that there really isn't much options for the positioning of the Maggies nor subwoofer (which is in the corner), so there surely are some room modes and other acoustic issues currently. And because there's nothing I can do for them by changing the positioning, I think/hope that RP would do some good. Of course, there isn't any other way to confirm it but real life testing.

AlliumPorrum, Jan 30, 2011
  8. AlliumPorrum

Purite Audio Purite Audio

The Tact/Lyngdorf only works belle 300hz , you need something a little more sophisticated for that.
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Jan 30, 2011
  9. AlliumPorrum

Tenson Moderator

One way you could dip a toe in the water before spending TacT money is to get a microphone and soundcard for the computer. You can then display the response of the system from your listening position on some free (but superb) software called ARTA.

You'd need a Behringer ECM8000 mic and something like the Blue Microphones Icicle which connects the mic to a USB input. Total is about £100.

P.S. What Keith is saying is that it really should only be used below about 300Hz, not that it can't or won't try to work above that.

Tenson, Jan 30, 2011
  10. AlliumPorrum

Joe Petrik Denebian Slime Devil

Mr. Mark,

Have you heard the smaller Leben integrated, the 300?

It's the snappier amp in the line-up, at least from what I've read.

Joe

Joe Petrik, Jan 30, 2011
  11. AlliumPorrum

SteveS1

Is that true of all room correction software?

Steve

SteveS1, Jan 30, 2011
  12. AlliumPorrum

RobHolt Moderator

Pretty much, yes.
    Correction higher up requires acoustic room treatment rather than electronic correction - unless of course you simply want to alter relative levels.

Looking on the bright side, this is easier to achieve and less intrusive than trying to deal with LF issues with acoustic treatment alone.

RobHolt, Jan 30, 2011
  13. AlliumPorrum

You can't alter phase or group delay with acoustic treatment.
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Jan 30, 2011
  14. AlliumPorrum

felix part-time Horta

Nor would you want to; and if you feel you need to I think that changing to more constant-directivity speakers would be a much better choice.

There are things that room-correction (AKA pre-distortion) can do; and many which it cannot. Correcting for a reverberant field (above some trivially-low frequency) is one of them.

felix, Jan 30, 2011
  15. AlliumPorrum

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Hmm...good question. I see there is a 300XS too.

YNMOAN, Jan 30, 2011
  16. AlliumPorrum

Felix Hi, have you actually tried anything like the Trinnov unit in your own room?
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Jan 31, 2011
  17. AlliumPorrum

felix part-time Horta

Not the Trinnov, no.

<reads the literature> It's certainly an interesting approach and device - and I don't see much that contradicts what I wrote above.

DSP certainly can be very powerful tool, but I suspect that - like most things - it's best when used with restraint, to tackle core issues that cannot be achieved any other way (... rather than sprinkled over everyhting just because it's there)
    Cheers

felix, Jan 31, 2011
  18. AlliumPorrum

Felix Hi, I am sure you are right, and probably a mix of physical treatment and DSP is probably the answer, but here it has made a significant improvement to the sound quality, ( big resonance and suck out ) I experimented with acoustic foam and whilst it helped the resonance problem a little obviously it couldn't do anything about the suck!
    Regards Keith.

Purite Audio, Jan 31, 2011
  19. AlliumPorrum

felix part-time Horta

Now that is interesting - suckouts generally have been one of the things that cannot be done with analogue EQ, because pouring more power into a modal cancellation...merely cancels. Enjoy!

felix, Jan 31, 2011
  20. AlliumPorrum

digital convert

Having beem a TDA 2200 wth RP for some time now i would say that the more effort you can put into positioning the speakers correctly the better as RP has less to do.
    In my room the bass had a significant lump with a suck out at 400Hz and i dont have much option for repositioning the speakers so RP was the best option.

I had the old TacT system with preloaded target curves which you overlaid your own correction but i always felt i wasnt suitably equiped to get the best out of it. The automated RP is much more user freindly and the sound isnt noticably differnet using RP over the target curve method.
    To my untrained ears anyway.
    I just need to save up for the full blown Lyngdorf system :)

digital convert, Jan 31, 2011
Ask a Question