Lyngdorf TDAI-2200?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by AlliumPorrum, Jan 29, 2011.

1. AlliumPorrum

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I see huge potential for these boxes, as far as I can tell, the Trinnov improves the sound of the room with no negatives, it appears to be completely transparent, the 'new' sound of the room can take a while to adjust to though.
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Jan 31, 2011
  2. AlliumPorrum

RobHolt Moderator

We've had largely transparent EQ for donkeys years - if it is used sparingly and correctly.
    The baby was well and truly thrown out with the bathwater during the mad rush minimalism that look hold in the 80s.

RobHolt, Jan 31, 2011
  3. AlliumPorrum

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I'm happy to stick with the hair-shirt minimalism.

YNMOAN, Feb 1, 2011
  4. AlliumPorrum

Tenson Moderator

Anyone who listens to vinyl shouldn't worry about having tone controls or EQ, given RIAA has some of the most aggressive EQ I can think of. The fact vinyl can sound so good just goes to prove that EQ doesn't necessarily mess up the sound quality by its very nature.

Tenson, Feb 1, 2011
  5. AlliumPorrum

RobHolt Moderator

As does the whole production process for recording and mastering music, usually.

RobHolt, Feb 1, 2011
  6. AlliumPorrum

Tenson Moderator

Haha very true!

OT: Did you get a chance to record those two LPs? ;)

Also, do you remember (or can you look in your recently played files in iTunes) what that music was I said seemed like Steve Reich? The one that got me talking about binaural beats setting up brain wave states? I think it had a blue cover.

Tenson, Feb 2, 2011
  7. AlliumPorrum

RobHolt Moderator

I'll add the vinyl rips to the PFM 'Post your needledrops here' thread tonight.

Will check itunes tonight but I know the tracks you mean.

RobHolt, Feb 2, 2011
  8. AlliumPorrum

Shuggie

Quite right, and I use the Lyngdorf's DSP to apply some fairly gentle variations to the RIAA equalisation curve, which are easily summoned from the remote control to give a very close approximation of RCA, Columbia , Decca etc curves (to remarkably good effect). Yes, you can do the same thing with a Behringer or similar, but DSP options are a good selling point for the Lyngdorf digital amps.

Shuggie, Feb 2, 2011
  9. AlliumPorrum

Werner

This argument doesn't hold as the replay RIAA is conjugate to the disc cutting process, and, ideally, both cancel out.

Werner, Feb 3, 2011
  10. AlliumPorrum

Tenson Moderator

The unwanted distortions of the EQ systems won't cancel out. Therefore, I think it's a good argument that EQ can be transparently implemented, apart of course from the intended effects of applying it.

Also, a resonance is a resonance, whether it is created by a standing wave between boundaries or electronically in EQ. The same minimum-phase rules apply.

Tenson, Feb 3, 2011
Ask a Question