M-audio Superdac

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tino, Dec 11, 2003.

1. tino

tino

Hi,
    having seen many favourable opinions of this, I'm looking to get one to pair with my old Pioneer cd player, because I still love the stable platter transport. however, despite there being much love shown to the dac, I don't recall seeing what it actually sounded like, just that it sounded 'better' than other cd players.

I know it's obviously a matter of opinion, but i was hoping someone could post an objective description of how it sounds. Is it smooth/lively, laid-back/forward, bright/warm? I'm looking for something a bit more laid-back and less bright than the pioneer, but might the transport itself cause problems? Thanks.

tino, Dec 11, 2003
  2. tino

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tino, the superdac in stock form (with just the 1/4" jacks replaced with mapins gold plated rca's sockets) using the same cables and speakers and transport (Teac t1) gave a better account of inself then the dac 20, more detail, drive & depth while flow & groove went up a notch, the stock op-amps are proberbly ok, if your after a less 'stressful' sound, although if you did change them, then maybe BB 2134 would be worth investigating.
    Alternitively you could just (as you do like the stable patter), up the internal psu (cap changes, decent bridge rectifer etc) in the pioneer and change the opamps for some less 'in yer face', this may save another box & leads. Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 11, 2003
  3. tino

tino

Thanks Wadia-miester. I wouldn't put myself in the electronically-able category so I don't think I'll be taking these things apart. Plus the Pioneer wasn't the best model at the time-OK, but not very good. I might just stick to a new cd-player I like the sound of.

tino, Dec 11, 2003
Ask a Question