ma 14 speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hcm1@blueyonder, Mar 12, 2007.

1. hcm1@blueyonder

hcm1@blueyonder

hi bought a pair of monitor audio ma 14 the ones with the gold tweeters great sound anybody know anything about them naff all on the web cheers henry

hcm1@blueyonder, Mar 12, 2007
  2. hcm1@blueyonder

midlifecrisis Firm member

I had the non-gold tweeter MA14 model as my first speaker upgrade, maybe 15-16 years ago. They sounded very good for a few years (particularly when the base was filled with sand, and the nuts round the drivers regularly tightened), but eventually became very soft and woolly in the mid and bass, so even doing service in a second system I had to ship 'em on..

midlifecrisis, Mar 12, 2007
  3. hcm1@blueyonder

ZenGarden

14s

I had a pair of MA14s many years ago.

I really liked them, infact I had two pairs because the cabinet split on the first pair and eventually I managed to get a second pair out of Monitor Audio. They were the mk2 version, with the gold tweeter, which had a really fabulous finish.

It really is worth going with sand option on these, unlike some others I've tried it with. But it is a complete PITA doing it. Best done in private rather than try and explain it to your nearest and dearest.

What I remember about them most of all is that with the right recording they could throw an enourmous sound stage that made it sound like the drummer was in my neighbours living room. I regret selling them really but funnily enough I just bought a pair of Studio 2 SEs from ebay. Better for the small room I'm listening in.

ZenGarden, Mar 13, 2007
Ask a Question