Mac/Optical Digital Out/Dacmagic

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by elis, Dec 14, 2009.

1. elis

elis

I have set the sample rate of the digital output to 96kHz, and the Dacmagic shows everything incoming to be at 96kHz. However, for most of the stuff my music player (I use Vox) indicates that the material is recorded at 44.1kHz. Does the sound chip of the Mac perform upsampling in this case? Is this potentially detrimental to the sound quality? What is the best way to send the signal to the DAC?

elis, Dec 14, 2009
  2. elis

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I prefer to play files in their native format, I would go into 'audio midi' and set the sample rate at 16/44.1 for example,
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Dec 14, 2009
  3. elis

elis

That's what I thought too. With typically mixed material on disc it would be ideal to have a player, which sets the optical output according to the specs of source (e.g. switches from 16/44.1 to 24/96). Also a tiny little bit annoying - my Mac mini's digital output doesn't support 88.2 kHz at all, which is still a fairly frequent format.

elis, Dec 16, 2009
  4. elis

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Elis funny you should mention that! There are some player that do exactly that, would you like to try one, it automatically senses sample rate change ,saves you having to quit itunes, open 'audio midi' reset open itunes etc.

I will send you a PM
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Dec 16, 2009
Ask a Question