MAC query (yes another one)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dev, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Dev

Dev Moderator

How do you kill an application that has hung?

Dev, Jun 26, 2007
  2. Dev

kmac

HTML:
    http://8help.osu.edu/1253.html
    I guess it's probably already dead by now?

No MAc experts come by yet?

Found this - could be worth a try ( see link)

"There are several ways to kill a process under Mac OS X. The first is to select Force Quit from the Apple Menu. A window will appear listing all the user applications running on the system. Applications running normally will appear as black text, whereas applications that are hung or having trouble will appear as red text. Highlight the application you want to kill and click on the Force Quit button that appears at the bottom of the window.

Another way to kill applications is to open a terminal window using the Terminal application. In the window type top -u, making sure that all the characters are lowercase and a space is present between top and -u. A list of the top processes will appear in the window. Identify which process you wish to kill and note the PID or Process ID for that process and then type q. Then type kill -9 followed by a space and the PID. This will almost always kill the process. If the system says you do not have sufficient priviledges, then type sudo kill -9 followed by a space and the PID. SUDO enables you to type in system command and it will prompt you for the system administrator password before executing the command. Type in your password and the system will kill the process.

Note: In Mac OS 10.3 and later the program Activity Monitor (found in the Utilities folder and pictured below) has built into it the ability to stop running programs. Launch Activity Monitor, highlight the program you want to kill, and then click on the Quit Process button in the tool bar at the top of the Activity Monitor window."

kmac, Jun 26, 2007
  3. Dev

Dev Moderator

Many thanks kmac. The second method seems very similar to the way a process is killed in Linux. It didn't occur to me to try the obvious:D.

Dev, Jun 26, 2007
  4. Dev

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Just click and hold the application icon in the dock and a menu will come up with force quit.

What app is playing up?

garyi, Jun 26, 2007
  5. Dev

Dev Moderator

Hi iGary, it's iTunes. For some reason it can't read some of my CDs and gradually just hangs. (Yes they are legit and apparently in good condition:) and my PC has no trouble reading them).

Dev, Jun 26, 2007
  6. Dev

I have ran into two that do this and both have copy protection. Does the iTunes on your PC have no trouble reading them, or is it another programme.

Also is the mac second hand? Could indicate a dying Drive.

garyi, Jun 27, 2007
  7. Dev

BTW, whilst its doing its thing trying to read and yes generally crashing on copy protection, trying to force quit will not work. A certain kind of protection I think done by Sony kills the whole OS, there is not a lot that can do that. Believe it or not after about 10 minutes it spits the CD out haha.

If its persists hold in the power button until the mac turns off then turn it on whilst holding down the left mouse button, it will eject the cd prior to booting up.

garyi, Jun 27, 2007
  8. Dev

Dev Moderator

Hi Gary,

The CDs are not copy protected and so far I've only had a problem with a couple of of them. They are quite old but in good condition. No other drive (PC running Linux or audio CDP) has an issue with them. The Mac is a G4 given to me by somebody who hates me:D. It is quite old and slow, so I only use it for syncing iPod.

I can see the rate at which it's ripping these CDs gradually dropping and finally iTunes stops responding. Force quit does work BTW.

Dev, Jun 27, 2007
  9. Dev

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Command option shift escape - all at once will force a quit the easy way. A restart is generally good practice before relaunching as the system is a lot more stable. Programs like Quark for instance don't always force quit totally. ...I'll get me coat :D

SMEagol, Jun 27, 2007
  10. Dev

Sounds like the drive is farked.

garyi, Jun 28, 2007
Ask a Question