Mains...best way forward

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Curt, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Curt

Curt

Hi Guys and Girls,
    One of my Dealers has been insisting on me trying out the new isotek mains conditioner mini sub GII.
    My question is this.....
    I currently have a True Colours Constrictor 6 way distribution board plugged into the wall socket.This inturn has a Super Constrictor connected from it to my Classe CDP and a Constrictor connected from it to my Primare Amp.
    So what would be the most beneficial upgrade re mains on my current system.
    Would it not be to get a sparky out so i have all my equipment plugged into the wall rather than a distribution block?
    If so what is the best way to go ahead?
    Im not looking for a smoother sound either a bit more clarity would be good and a tighter bass if i was nit picking.
    Another thing i have been thinking of changing recently has been my rack which is an Optimum glass rack with resonant absorbing feet under each component.
    Wasn't sure if there was much improvment to be had in Racks.
    Also thinking of trying some other speaker cables but have been pretty happy with the performance of the Chord Odyssey i am using.
    Again any upgrades need to bring major benefits and not in a dulling smoothing manner.

Cheers
    Curt

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2004
    Curt, Sep 2, 2004
  2. Curt

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Curt.

I would suggest a separate 30 amp (?) electrical spur for the system, and either some unswitched wall sockets or a hydra-type arrangement. I had a brief try of a 'mains conditioner' type-thing which wasn't any good, but then I'm using Naim gear which doesn't like that sort of shenanigans. Your dealer may know an electrician with experience of separate spurs.

The Devil, Sep 2, 2004
  3. Curt

julian2002 Muper Soderator

curt,
    i have a minisub (not the g2) i'd say sources love them but anything that has to handle a bit of current isn't best happy. I use a naim 82 preamp which has 3! power supplies, i run the digital control psu from the isotek but the left and right chanels are run direct from my 4 way (a boggo one with no switches or neons). i felt the sound was a bit 'sat on' with the pre's main psu's running via the isotek.
    to be honest i'd make sure i wasn't going to spend any more on boxes and that i was (or thought i was) about 80% happy with the sound of my system before spending on ancillaries like mains, interconnects, speaker cables and supports. the ancillary tweaks do work but they are not a magical panacaea for all of hi-fi's ills and if they change the basic presentation of your kit then there is something a bit odd going on - they should clean and tighten rather than transmogrify.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 2, 2004
Ask a Question