Mains cable option?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by condyk, Nov 7, 2003.

1. condyk

condyk

condyk, Nov 7, 2003
  2. condyk

michaelab desafinado

No, but it looks the part :D I still don't understand why these eBay sellers go for such a hard sell. I seriously doubt they'll convince anyone to part with their cash who doesn't already believe in mains cables so they should just save their energy :rolleyes:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 8, 2003
  3. condyk

Darren

If they are really LC-OFC they will work well and they are a bargain. For the pocket money price I don't see how you can take a big dive here.

Say... were you enjoying a great acid trip when you took that self portrait - it sure looks like something is making your day!

Darren

Darren, Nov 8, 2003
  4. condyk

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

If they are really LC-OFC they will work well and they are a bargain. For the pocket money price I don't see how you can take a big dive here.

Hi Darren.

About 18 months ago, I took a gamble on mains cables. I bought about 5 of them (unterminated) from the audiophile candy magazine (www.audiophilecandy.com). It was their own brand cable that came in 2 variants - 1 for power amps, 1 for source equipment.

They went for £60 and £40 each respectively. I got them a bit cheaper because I had to fit my own MK plugs and re-wireable IECs.

The cable is silver plated copper.

I am not a believer in mains cables of any kind, having tried now about 10 variants, I dont think I ever will be - so I wont make any wild claims about any type of mains cable.

If anyone is really looking for replacement mains cables for not too much money, I could sell them mine for considerably less.

Anyone feel free to PM me, maybe I should have put this in items for sale, I dont know..(if so sorry michael)

bottleneck, Nov 8, 2003
  5. condyk

Ian J

I am sceptical about things like that but a few months ago I read something interesting on AV Forums that explained in simple terms suitable for a non techie like me why a decent mains cable would make a difference on a Sky box. I can't remember the details and the thread seems to have disappeared but it convinced me and I bought one from Mark Grant who is an AVF forum member that makes them, for £25 - £30.

It worked well and made a noticeable difference to the sound and picture from Sky. I suppose that I should have invested in another one for my DVD player and/or amp to see if that worked as well but regretfully I didn't.

Ian J, Nov 8, 2003
  6. condyk

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Mains & mains cables can make or brake a system, finding one that works in your own, now thats a different matter :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2003
    wadia-miester, Nov 8, 2003
  7. condyk

Darren

Hi Bottleneck,

Sorry to hear that you didn't have any success with trick mains cables. To be honest I don't think that the ones you tried were quite trick enough.

Let me qualify that statement: The RATA Yello mains cable that I bought had no effect at all on the audible performance of my Croft linestage ( which I consider to be most transparent and revealing of system and cable change.) However a later LC-OFC and (better still) OCC-OFC cables did have a marked effect; lowering the noise floor and smoothing treble a touch.

The one of the reasons that I always buy the strangest, most exotic cable I can afford is that I cannot tell the difference between cheaper ones and standard freebee cables. However, twenty years ago my NAD 3120 was much improved for the addition of a solid care mains lead ala Hi Fi Answers.

So once again: if the cables being offered are LC_OFC they are worth a go - if not don't bother.

Darren

Darren, Nov 8, 2003
  8. condyk

condyk

I think I was on a flight from Perth to Jo'burg and it wasn't a self portrait ... my wife took it! I do have a life outside sad and lonely hi-fi buff-ism LOL!

I'm gonna get a few of those leads .... just need to work out which connectors I need for my most important gear. Seems there's a money back guarentee so nothing but a bit of post to lose I guess.

Will keep posted re. results when I get round to it.

Dave

condyk, Nov 8, 2003
  9. condyk

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi again Darren.

Just to re-iterate a point from my first post, Ive heard over 10 different mains cables in my system. The most expensive of these were nearly £1000 ! - and of course everything in between... believe me, my lack of belief in mains cables is nothing to do with not trying enough types, or 'X' model etc !!

I dont really want to bang on about it though, people know I dont get much from them, and some people do and thats fine - its kind of been done a million times lol

Chris

NB Spurs, ring mains, conditioners, etc I havent played with enough to come to an opinion on yet.

bottleneck, Nov 8, 2003
  10. condyk

Darren

Go for it acid head Dave!!!

Bottleneck - thanks for your explanation.

Darren

Darren, Nov 9, 2003
Ask a Question