Mains Cables (again!)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by skp574, Jan 5, 2004.

1. skp574

skp574

Ok we've had plenty of discussion about mains. So here's another question.

I have been running in my new system details of which can be found here.

Would anyone like to suggest suitable mains cables for these two. I am using at the moment 2 x RA Classic PowerKords (without wattgates).

Unfortunately any house spur rewiring is not possible so any mains tweaking has to be done local to the equipment, i.e. leads, filters, conditioners, etc.

I did read the Hifi+ review of Nordost's new leads. But that is just from one manufacturer and has been discussed already here.

I have been looking at other makes too, particularly from Shunyata but have to experience of these. Has anyone got these?

I am just trying to get some advise as to what to look at. Does anyone know where I might be able to demo the Shunyatas in the UK?

Thanks for any advice.

skp574, Jan 5, 2004
  2. skp574

mutant

hey, off topic, but i got a Q bout your sliMP3. Does your pc have to be networked for this to be connected?

mutant, Jan 5, 2004
  3. skp574

skp574

Mutant wrote:
    Yes it does. Either wired (ethernet) or wifi. If the SliMP3 has no network connection it won't work. There is a server app that runs on the host PC which controls everything from the clock to music playback.

HTH.

skp574, Jan 5, 2004
  4. skp574

adam

I have some Shunyatas,mine are sidewinders,I bought them from the states,it was a bit of hassle,paying the fellow,but it was worth the hassle in the end.

I had a kimber before that,and detected no change what so ever,so out of curiosity i tried the shunyatas,at a price i could afford,I bought one for my transport,and one for the DAC.

When it arrived it was very thick and far more substancial than the Kimber,I needed a US to Euro adaptor.I plugged both cables in,I noticed in a instance a definate increase in volume,as i has to quickly turn it down to where i had left it,before i had the shunyatas in.So I noticed increased volume and dynamics,even though the "sound" stays the same,you'll really notice the increase in volume and dynamics it brings about,I was happy with the results from them and they are still in my system.

adam, Jan 5, 2004
  5. skp574

adam

Here is a shunyata Sidewinder[​IMG]

adam, Jan 5, 2004
  6. skp574

merlin

Shunyata does seem to make a difference, particularly with digital sources if you use the Fesi 1000 cables ( Python, Black Mamba, Anaconda and King Cobra)

Yes they cost a lot! But on high end CD players, their affect can be quite dramatic, basically a reduction in digital glare, an increase in solidity, and a seemingly lower noise floor giving greater detail but in a less forced manner.

With the £/$ currently very favourable, it is a good time to buy. The Hydra conditioner is also great, but somewhat overkill for single source systems.

Sadly if you want a home dem here in the UK, you will end up paying UK prices, which frankly are obscene and make the value for money debateable.

merlin, Jan 5, 2004
  7. skp574

Robbo

How much are you looking to spend?

I too would like to try the shunyatas to see whether they make an improvement in my system, although I am not sure I would want to take the plunge and buy some without a trial first, and UK prices are a rip.

Robbo, Jan 5, 2004
  8. skp574

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

There are other options I feel :)

wadia-miester, Jan 5, 2004
  9. skp574

merlin

Rubbish:D

merlin, Jan 5, 2004
  10. skp574

Your just upset I got a Nordost Valhalla :p , which aint as good as another one I use :D ;)

11. skp574

Oh Sorry {Sceptic mode on} it's all bollox, no difference waste of money, your a twat, for get it, my auntie's best mate's second cousin removed's dog flea power tin, says it 'bollox' so it must be true, your all muppets, arhh hahh..........................you all need theropy you silly people {Sceptic mode of}

12. skp574

merlin

Tell you what, I'll swap your Valhalla for one Pulsar Point!

As you say, it's all bollox, if your quick, good old CJ's gone off on one of his Scottish rants over at HFC:ffrc: :ffrc: :knight:

merlin, Jan 5, 2004
  13. skp574

Merlin, seems fair, but then Garyi, would want to try one on his nap 250 :)
    I can't understand with the High horseman Has so many chips on his shoulder :rolleyes: still he hasn't had one for a while, so i spose he due one

wadia-miester, Jan 6, 2004
  14. skp574

skp574

ok then if Shunyatas are the way to go, what is the cost if bought from the States. And where is a good place to start looking? Is there an online shop where they can be bought and shipped over?

skp574, Jan 6, 2004
  15. skp574

Tom Alves

Try 10mm2 T&E. Darn sight cheaper and just as effective. IMO natch ;) Oh and you can plait the final metre if you really want to tweak it.

Tom Alves, Jan 6, 2004
  16. skp574

lowrider Live music is surround

Test the Van Den Hul Mainsstream, they increase dynamic range and frequency extension on both my Arcam FMJ DV27 and Krell Showcase processor, and dont cost an arm and a leg, they are king of golden though... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Jan 6, 2004
  17. skp574

greg Its a G thing

Regards previous rec's for Olsen multi-way mains blocks, can anyone tell me where these can be bought?
    Cheers

greg, Jan 6, 2004
  18. skp574

maddog 2

maddog 2, Jan 6, 2004
  19. skp574

greg Its a G thing

Zippy response. Appreciated!

greg, Jan 6, 2004
  20. skp574

skp574

As regards the original question of this topic.

I am willing to spend in the same order as the cost of my equipment. But if something really transforms it at a fraction of the cost then it would be silly not to try/buy it.

But if these new Nordost power cables do exactly what the Hifi+ reviewer enthused it would silly not to get a demo.

skp574, Jan 6, 2004
Ask a Question