Mains cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Petergc, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Petergc

Petergc

Any advice on good mains lead, or filter products. I have tried the Isotek minsub, and, whilst there was some improvement in perceived speed and detail, this seemed to be at the expense of a thinning to the sound. In fact the simpler mainline gave a somewhat better account.
    I also tried the Nordost thor, but didn't feel overwhelmed, excvept by the price!!
    I was originally trying to get rid of a transformer buzz, but have given up on this, as neither of these achieved this, and neither did a fully blown mains transformer which purported to set athe output voltage precisely.
    After seeing his posts I am interested in what Omiga have to offer, but strangely, my server will not allow me to access anything other than the home page of the site.
    I would also be interested in any other suggestions.
    Thanks
    Peter

Petergc, Mar 17, 2005
  2. Petergc

rsand I can't feel my toes

I have a dezorel g2 which I find pretty good, I have a silent noise floor but stil dynamic

rsand, Mar 17, 2005
  3. Petergc

Philip King Enlightened User

Hi there,

I currently use an Omiga FooFoo box (as do a few other forumites here) along with other cables from the same people. I found that it came in better than either the Isotek, Exact power or PS Audio stuff I had demo'd. It offered a more natural sound with better dynamics. The noise floor in my system was low to begin with but I feel that the overall sound has improved with the box in place. Another advantages over the other units were its small size, therefore allowing it to be placed discreetly behind the racks and not requiring a separate shelf.

PM Wadia-Meister for more details as he makes 'em. Their site contains a java applet for navigation so maybe that is why it you can't access it.

There are plenty of other products available out there, and lots of people here have tried them and will comment. Of course your experiences may vary from mine, but at the level of cost per box I'm now at, I could not have achieved this increased level of improvement elsewhere in my system for the money.

Philip King, Mar 17, 2005
  4. Petergc

Petergc

Philip
    Thanks for this. It sounds pretty much what I need. Is it a single or multi-socket box?
    Do you have a phone number for Omiga?

Thanks
    Peter

Petergc, Mar 17, 2005
  5. Petergc

tones compulsive cantater

I have now tried several highly-regarded mains cables and have found them to be no better or no worse than the stuff that comes with the equipment. In addition, many are so stiff that their minimum possible radii of curvature resemble the turning circle of an SUV, so they pose major problems for people with equipment placed close to a wall. I could accept this if they sounded substantially better than the standard item, but they don't. My advice; buy music instead.

tones, Mar 17, 2005
  6. Petergc

Philip King Enlightened User

And some people don't care for it, which is all the better for them as that leaves more money for albums :D

Philip King, Mar 17, 2005
  7. Petergc

Dev Moderator

Here's their web site. You'll find their contact detail there.

Dev, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Petergc

BlueMax

Fancy a bit of simple DIY?
    Some tried and tested cables and filters at fraction of the high prices charged in the hi-fi trade.

And DIY is very satisfying :D

BlueMax, Mar 17, 2005
Ask a Question