mains conditioners, do they work?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ziggybampot, Feb 27, 2007.

1. ziggybampot

ziggybampot

are these 'accessories' really worth the money and do they actually work?
    If they do, how much do I have to spend to get a worthwhile improvement?
    I've bought a 'Tacima' CS-929 £25 from Maplin and haven't noticed much difference, but what about the 'Isotek' range.

Come on guys who's got them and what do you think? :slayer:

ziggybampot, Feb 27, 2007
  2. ziggybampot

Andy registered grazer

I got the Tacima and did notice an improvement but also a bit of sibilance.
    Still split between the extra clarity and the harshness with bad recordings.

Still, it was only 25 smackers:D

Andy, Feb 27, 2007
  3. ziggybampot

zanash

if you have clean mains ...they can be detrimental ....if though your like me in a area of poor mains they are a god send ....I use a 1:1 2kv isolation transformer and a set of silencers close to appliances that are noisey.

zanash, Feb 28, 2007
  4. ziggybampot

melorib Lowrider

In Riga, Latvia I use an ESE Labs Enlil, balanced isolation transformer, with clear improvements, plus one Silencer...

In Cascais, Portugal, nothing, tested Hydra 8, differences, but not clearly improvements...

melorib, Feb 28, 2007
  5. ziggybampot

Nigel

Hi Zanash,

I used a big isolation transformer with mixed results.

Unfortunately, the majority of times you switched it on, it caused the main house circuit breaker to trip. It became very hot with constant use as well. Shame because it had some good plus points from a musical perspective.

Nigel, Feb 28, 2007
  6. ziggybampot

mcguiganp

Hi ziggybampot,

My mate has one of the isotek £500 jobs that he bought from 7oaks. He says it's the best thing ever but when I listened to his system (cyrus) before and after the Isotek I couldn't hear any difference! Maybe it's the placebo effect with him but I wouldn't pay £500 for it! Mind you, that's not to say it won't make a difference in your system. Try to get a home demo and see.

mcguiganp, Feb 28, 2007
  7. ziggybampot

ziggybampot

Andy:
    I think the 'Tacima' helped the tv picture but I havn't tested the difference with audio yet.

Zanesh:
    I live in the Highlands of Scotland, how can I tell if our mains is clean or not?

ziggybampot, Feb 28, 2007
  8. ziggybampot

Andy registered grazer

Give it a try & see.

The problem with mains conditioners is that you can't really do proper A/B comparisons as
    the equipment has to be switched off and unplugged.
    Some hifi is notorious for sounding worse from cold ie just switched on and can take hours to get back to normal, even if you've just switched off then back on, so you'd probably need a few of your fave well recorded cds and take notes on aspects of the sound with/without the conditioner.

Andy, Feb 28, 2007
  9. ziggybampot

yahoodie elbow valves,mmm loverly

I use a QED Qonduit 6 way filter and hub.As soon as i put it in my system,it was gobsmacking. Instantly,everything was cleaner,soundstage opened right up,and i had more detail and tons more depth to the stage.
    I tried an Isotek Solus before the QED, but i didn't notice an iota of difference.

:MILD: :MILD: :MILD

yahoodie elbow, Feb 28, 2007
  10. ziggybampot

Neil

Depends on mains and quality of power supply in components. It's difficult to recommend - better to try one or two. At the moment I use a "Little Mead" conditioner on my distribution block- a RA purifier type device in a nice wooden box with brass plate but developed before Russ's mass marketing(!). I've a dpa the power rfi suppression thingy on CD player and a decent power cord on the amp. Tried a "cleanline" but didn't like it - seemed to "deaden" things a bit. My last house benefitted from silencers at various points but they make not a jot of difference in my current abode.

Neil, Feb 28, 2007
  11. ziggybampot

Andy registered grazer

You've done it now...
    I'm going to have to get me one of those.
    :JPS:

Andy, Feb 28, 2007
  12. ziggybampot

Lol :)

Cheaper than the Solus too, the Quoduit is £220 odd for the 6 way,and £180 for tge 4 way iirc.

yahoodie elbow, Feb 28, 2007
  13. ziggybampot

Andy registered grazer

Ouch.
    Anyone got an old banger i could use for a ramraid?;)

Andy, Feb 28, 2007
  14. ziggybampot

ziggybampot

mcguiganp,
    that's the trouble mate I live in Inverness and there aint anyone I could get a home trial from, unless I ordered/paid for it up-front then lose return postage for a refund :(

yahoody elbow,
    some very nice looking gear you got there, apart from the Meridians what else is on your rack and what speakers do you use? I'd be prepared to try the Quoduit, I already have 4 qed sqart leads and I like them!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
    ziggybampot, Mar 1, 2007
  15. ziggybampot

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tried a 500 quid isotek which was ok but i was using with some bits of naim kit which is notorious for being fussy about conditioners - worked well with my dac, anti-jitter device and squeezebox1 though.
    now use a chinese conditioner who's make i forget - it works as well as the isotek and cost about 4 times less.

julian2002, Mar 1, 2007
  16. ziggybampot

I use a Unisis Signature valve amp,Audio physic Padua `speakers Audio Synthesis ultra dax dac,Meridian 206b as transport E.A.R 834p phono stage, Heed Orbit, Nottingham Spacedeck (rb300 living voice mystic mat and dl110) and a Monarchy DIP classic. The Qonduit was a definite improvement as i said, more noticeable than a new cd player upgrade. Saying that, i live in an old victorian gaff with less than perfect mains and old cables... but as soon as i spannered it in, it was one of those "right, thats mine now". Not the cheapest at over 200 squids, but did wonders for me :)

[​IMG]

yahoodie elbow, Mar 1, 2007
  17. ziggybampot

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

have you considered the 100amp consumer unit fuse and a seperate spur.

well worth the time.

and most elect' boards will do the 100amp main fuse upgrade free if you lie and say you are putting in a huge power shower.

sq225917, Mar 1, 2007
  18. ziggybampot

ziggybampot

I like that idea alot! :D

ziggybampot, Mar 2, 2007
  19. ziggybampot

ziggybampot

Can you un-forget who makes them? :D

ziggybampot, Mar 2, 2007
  20. ziggybampot

Petergc

I tried the Isotek minisub, and mainline with mixed results. Clearer sound, but at the expense of some sibilance to my ears. Then tried the Nordost Thor. More of the same with bells on! It was really quite sharp, and made individual instruments sound thin.
    Finally got a couple of PS Audio Ultimate outlets, which do the trick for me. most noticeable is a real reduction in noise, and a much deeper sound. Difficult to explain, but a definite improvement to my ears, without any of the negative side effects

Petergc, Mar 2, 2007
Ask a Question