Mains doodads

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Jul 21, 2004.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

julian2002, Jul 21, 2004
  2. julian2002

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

It is possible that rectification and consequently demodulation could occur at these junctions, but it would be at extremely low level compared to the demodulation that occurs in the actual electronics.

However, it is not clear to me that their box is offering anything particularly significant. Certainly nothing that would be worth forgoing the convenience of plugs and sockets, and certainly not the safety of fuses.

I-S, Jul 21, 2004
  3. julian2002

lbr monkey boy

Yeh I've got one. Nice, solid thing it is. The main benefits as I understand them are hardwiring (elimination of unecessary contacts) and RF shielding of the (admittedly small) unshielded cable ends. The connectors are very beefy, so useful for connecting large diameter power cables. They are a compression clamp type fitting, so potentially less risk of damaging the cable end and better chance of a clean connection than with a normal screw type connection as you'd find in a plug.

I can't really comment on the improvements to sound quality as I installed it in my system in parallel with a complete loom of homemade power cables. The whole lot made a huge difference, but I suspect 99%+ of this was down to the cables rather than the distribution unit.

As I was re-doing all the power anyway, the cost was (almost) justified for the convenience as I would otherwise have needed to spend £ on some form of half decent distribution unit anyway and a host of chunky plugs (the cable I used is too thick for most plugs) which I couldn't find at a sensible price. I wouldn't generally recommend it at £145. Maybe £50...

:kneel:

lbr, Jul 21, 2004
  4. julian2002

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

£145 for 36 din rail terminals (43p each) 12 cable glands (51p each) a metal box (£20 max) and a bit of flex,mmmm nearly £100 profit

themadhippy, Jul 21, 2004
  5. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

thanks guys, i'll probably give it a miss then.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 21, 2004
  6. julian2002

robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus, Jul 22, 2004
Ask a Question