Mains hum with Rega Planar 3!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Morb666, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Morb666

Morb666

Hi,

My Rega deck seems to have developed a humming problem, when the arm is parked then everything is quiet but if you swing the arm over the platter mains hum can be heard increasing in volume towards the center of the platter!!!! Any ideas how to cure this???

Thanks,
    Morb666

Morb666, Aug 8, 2005
  2. Morb666

lordsummit moderate mod

Welcome to the forum Morb, the Rega isn't hasn't got an earth lead has it. It's designed not to hum without being grounded to the amp/phono stage.
    Where's the motor on a P3 it's back left isn't it? If it is it's possibly not the cart picking up the noise of the motor, but something else on your rack, you need to make sure it's as far away as possible from you amp, I had problems with this when I had a P3, or alternatively it could be a problem with the wiring in the arm, are all the connectors securely on the back of the cart.
    I'm sure a real turntable guru will be along shortly!

lordsummit, Aug 8, 2005
  3. Morb666

LinearMan

Well, if it's only recently started, yet had been working fine (assuming you haven't changed the position of any kit) then something must have changed! As it's related to arm position I'd first very carefully check out all the arm leads and connecting lead.

What cartridge are you using? The Rega cartridges are very sensitive to stray EM. It could be possible that your motor is developing (has developed?) a fault whereby it's emitting greater levels of EM than before; thus as the cartridge gets nearer the motor the hum gets louder.

Oevr to the rest of you now!

LinearMan, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Morb666

Morb666

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply :) , you are right in saying that the Rega has no earth lead. The piece of equipment directly below the deck is my Amp so I will try moving the deck further away to see if that alleviates the problem, however I cannot move it very far due to the ridiculously short "captive" phono lead attached to the P3 (hence the reason it sits above the Amp). Only just thought of this but can you get such a thing as a decent quality phono extension lead???

Thanks again for the advice, I hope it is the Amp that's creating the inteference otherwise it would have to be the Rega's own motor which sounds like a more troubling problem!!

Morb.

Morb666, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Morb666

Morb666

Hi Linearman,

I have recently moved house and it is only after I have set up my HiFi again that I have noticed the humming, everything is in the same position as it was previously! I am using a Rega Elys cartridge.I guess something could have been damaged or worked loose in transit. I have wiggled the cartridge wires, etc. but that does not appear to have made any difference. Thanks for the reply.

Morb666

Morb666, Aug 8, 2005
  6. Morb666

lordsummit moderate mod

Have you tried a different mains socket, could be mucky mains. Try unplugging the fridge etc.

lordsummit, Aug 8, 2005
  7. Morb666

Cloth-Ears

I also have a Rega 3.

If it hums, hum along with it. That way you won't notice.

Cloth-Ears, Aug 8, 2005
  8. Morb666

zanash

On a more helpful note ....check for lose earth connections.

try and get all the gear running off the same spur.....

have you dimmer lights ......they can cause hum.

Does the hum appear if you touch the arm ?

zanash, Aug 8, 2005
  9. Morb666

penance Arrogant Cock

If the noise gets worse towards the center it isnt going to be supply related.
    Check motor mounting and bearing would be my suggestion.

penance, Aug 8, 2005
  10. Morb666

Morb666

I'll give all those suggestions a try and report back tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Morb666, Aug 8, 2005
  11. Morb666

Cloth-Ears

Even mine? :D

Cloth-Ears, Aug 8, 2005
  12. Morb666

Morb666

Well, I moved the deck further away from the Amp and problem solved. Odd that it's decided to be a problem now after a couple of years with no problems!! Nevermind at least it's easy to solve with just a bit of judicious seperates placement.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will frequent this board more often in the hope that I can help with any probs that people have.

Cheers,
    Morb666

Morb666, Aug 9, 2005
  13. Morb666

lordsummit moderate mod

It could be that the windings on your transformer were either slightly loosened by the move, or that they are being affected by the mains at your new house.
    Either way glad it worked out for you.

lordsummit, Aug 9, 2005
Ask a Question