mains supply

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DavidF, Aug 2, 2006.

1. DavidF

DavidF

Hello,

I am having electricians in to to fit storage heaters and, aware of the value of a clean power supply for hifi am also in terested in improving the mains supply to my hi fi.

My system is currently sited close to the fuse box with a wire (spur?) supplying one mains socket. At the moment the equipment is fed off a dedicated mains block of four terminals witha fairly hefty 1'6" wire, bought inexpensively for the job off the internet. This is plugged into the single socket.

My idea was to get the electicians to fit a further two mains wall sockets - or is there a better plan than that?

Any thoughts?

System is;

Thorens td 160super
    Mission dad5 with Entech dac
    Naim 72/140/flat cap
    Ruark Scepres spkers

I would say finances are not unlimited!

Thankyou!

David Farmer

DavidF, Aug 2, 2006
  2. DavidF

Richard Dunn

Change if poss to the older style 15amp plugs and sockets. Try for gold plated, they used to be around but I am not sure now.

What you are looking for is to lower the impedance of the mains feed. Easiest thing is to make sure everthing is really tightly screwed (and cleaned) or soldered. Old oxidised or brittle dielectric cable should always be replaced. If you are willing to sacrifice boots and braces safety fit the highest value fuse you can on your spur and clean and treat the surface connections of that fuse and its holder.

Richard

Richard Dunn, Aug 2, 2006
  3. DavidF

DavidF

Interesting....... thankyou. :)

DavidF, Aug 2, 2006
  4. DavidF

DavidF

gold plated sockets

Hi again,

My electrician will instal gold plated unswitched sockets - if I get them!

Any clues on where I'd get them quickly?

David

DavidF, Aug 3, 2006
Ask a Question