Making a sound track - so diificult

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Oct 20, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

As apart of our video post production module we have to create a 3 minute DVD as well as extra features on the DVD menu. For the main 3 minute footage we have gone filming in Manchester filmed some famous buildings.

I have the ask of putting together a sound track which I want to be 100% manc but it turning out to be 100% w*nk.

Idealy I want a different song for each building, this equates to just 20 seconds for each song. It is very difficult to put a sound track together when you are limited to manc stuff which can be depressing (The Smiths, William It Was Really Nothing) is being used as the opening music for example). It is also hard to find music to fit into the video clip.

Does anybody have any tips for putting together a sound track together? I need to get this sound track finished soon because we can't edit the video until we have the sound to edit it to.

Thanks for any help.

The future Morrissey

amazingtrade, Oct 20, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

how about the best at the start of blue monday for a load of quick transitions between 2 buildings? doof doof du du du du du du doof doof with a snap transition with each 'du'.
    have a word with some local dj's and see which tunes they can mix easily together. maybe colaborate with someone on one of the more traditional media courses? they may be able to get extra credit???
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 20, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

johnhunt recidivist

don't see why the music has to come from manchester, you might want to widen your horizons. for example focus on buildings in london

johnhunt, Oct 20, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

Julian the Blue Monday idea is good, I need to get that music in some where.

John my university is 1 mile away from Manchester City Centre, 180 miles away from London. We couldn't exactly lug £2000 worth of university camera equipment down to London, then you also have all the logistical problems of filiming in a strange city. In fact we took a rist taking the equipment of campus as the university isn't insured for that.

The reason I am only using Manc music is because Manchester is famous for it and the entire DVD production will be a made in Manchester type affair.

5. amazingtrade

johnhunt recidivist

at

sorry, i was being a typical londoner about the london thing. but really does the music have to come manchester. btw do you have to pay prs

johnhunt, Oct 20, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

John its ok I suffer from the London effect too in that the UK ends outside Greater Manchester :p It becomes a hazzard when you have lived in the same house for 22 years.

What is PRS? Some kind of royalties? If so no as it is just course work the music dosn't matter. The other other thing is we were told we would get more marks for creating original music so I may have a go at that. The only thing that had to be original is the filming which took 5 hours to get 3 minutes of footage.

7. amazingtrade

johnhunt recidivist

prsb is royalties - go on do your own music

johnhunt, Oct 20, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

prs=performace rights society,as an educational establishment,and the works for uni you should be ok,just make a list of the tracks you use and there duration and you should be ok.As for the chose of music,well i tend to give the scriipt a read through and see what intially springs to mind,if you get realy stuck roll a fat one, sit back and let the mind float of.My intiall ideas would be maybe manchester england,from hair,matchstick cats dogs brian+michel,dirty old town,we built this city on rock+roll ect ect

themadhippy, Oct 21, 2004
  9. amazingtrade

Hex Spurt

Have a look here for inspiration.

If you've filmed any of the train stations could I suggest a John Cooper Clarke track called Evidently Chickentown :JPS: Suggest you listen first though :D

Check out Lamb - the track Gold from the 1996 album titled Lamb. It's a seriously groovy piece of indie dance music.

Regards

Hex

Hex Spurt, Oct 22, 2004
  10. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

For this type of film I would look towards electronic music, and check out the area because there must be some good stuff, Fila Brazillia come from Hull FFS!

garyi, Oct 22, 2004
Ask a Question