Mana gone

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Heuer, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heuer

julian2002 Muper Soderator

steven,
    things ALWAYS get heated when the company in question's name is mentioned so the decision was taken to add the name to the censor list to discourage discussions which were taking up a disproportionate amount of the moderators time (we all have real jobs).
    it's a shame that the company in question has ceased trading, the failure of any company is a sad occasion and having been through a number myself as an employee or creditor it's never a pleasant experience and you usually end up out of pocket. however this is the way the world works and that's that.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 6, 2006
  2. Heuer

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

it's quite astounding isn't it? you'd be forgiven fo thinking they've been deliberately trying to entice people to order stuff knowing that there wasn't any chance of then getting the goods. :rolleyes:

btw, I'd be very surprised if they could afford to sue for anything written on an internet forum :cool: ;)

kennyk, Jan 6, 2006
  3. Heuer

Markus S Trade

So what your argument boils down to is the age-old 'me first'. I would have a few choice things to say about this, but I'll let others be the judge of this.

All I want to add is that I, too, have lost (considerable amounts of) money from companies going bust. What I do find questionable is that not all creditors are treated alike in a bankruptcy.

Markus S, Jan 6, 2006
  4. Heuer

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Marcus,

Is it not so in Germany a company cannot trade if they don't not have sufficent funds to honour cheques that are draw on their accounts? and that the laws are much tighter in these matters?
    Does seem odd that Ian W has had delivery of his stands in the midst of this turmoil?, Is Ian not a Mod on the Mana forum?

wadia-miester, Jan 6, 2006
  5. Heuer

greg Its a G thing

The British are (apparently) famous for their politeness, but where money is concerned I'd rather ensure my family are looked after than HMRC. The phrase "It's about ways and means not hopes and dreams" applies.

greg, Jan 6, 2006
  6. Heuer

chezi

I agree totally , if I were bumped for a grand , blood and broken bones would prevail , although not the correct manner in which to act , it would make me feel better.

chezi. Don't F**k with the Baldies !!!! or the long haired Scots

chezi, Jan 6, 2006
  7. Heuer

Alex S User

At least Heuer has been spared sonic disaster.

Alex S, Jan 6, 2006
  8. Heuer

Stereo Mic

Utter rubbish Markus and you know it. I'm surprised you are putting such a spin on this, given that you claim to only have met JW the once.

If a company goes under owing HM Customs & Excise and the banks £10K, they will get over it. If the same happens and an individual or sole trader is owed £1K, it might not even be possible for them to recover. Both are victims. Only one is a sufferer.

Stereo Mic, Jan 6, 2006
  9. Heuer

JonR

Yes he is AFAIK, although I believe that is the extent of his connection with them.

JonR, Jan 6, 2006
  10. Heuer

Markus S Trade

Utter rubbish SM and you know it. First, I don't claim, it is like I said, and your petty attempt to put my credibility into doubt does you no favours in my book.

Second, whether or not a private individual suffers more or less than Customs & Excise or a bank depends on the individual. There are some individuals which have rather more money spare than many a bank. A simple 'private creditors should come first' is as wrong as the present scheme.

Where I do agree is that all creditors should be treated alike, including the taxman.

I will now absent myself from this discussion. Some people seem to have trouble differentiating between their opinion of a company and/or a product and their view of company and insolvency law. I have no time for that.

Also, some people seem to think that I am defending M ana or its directors. I don't. If they did accept money without good faith, then that is a criminal act - fraud - and it is up to creditors like Heuer whether they want to pursue the matter or not. What I dislike is blanket judgements, like the ones bandied about in this thread, without full knowledge of the facts. As anybody with the least bit of understanding of the law, and ethics, will know, full knowledge of the facts is the prerequisite for judgements, be they legal or moral.

Markus S, Jan 6, 2006
  11. Heuer

depends on the way you look at it. that money might have gone on a great collection of cds, or towards a new piece of kit.

kennyk, Jan 6, 2006
  12. Heuer

lordsummit moderate mod

I feel for those who are going to loose sizeable amounts of money. Also the fact that some people have received their goods and others haven't is reprehensible. As I have said before taking orders if you know you are unable to fulfill them is tantamount to fraud. Unfortunately private individuals seem to be at the bottom of the feeding chain when it comes to claiming their money back.
    I hope the people who protested so loudly about there being no problems at Mana feel ashamed of themselves now. It's sad to see a company go out of business, but even worse to see people lose their money.

lordsummit, Jan 6, 2006
  13. Heuer

greg Its a G thing

Yes but drawing premature conclusions and moralising whilst standing on shakey ground is fun. :)

greg, Jan 6, 2006
  14. Heuer

and yet they are still sticking their head in the sand.

I wish JW would come on here and explain exactly why he doesn't think he's behaving like a crook. because that is what he is, if he's taking peoples money knowingly without being able to fulfill orders.

kennyk, Jan 6, 2006
  15. Heuer

anon_bb Honey Badger

We should really be worrying who will be next... we live in troubling times for 2 channel. According to stereophile the average age of hifi buyers has raised 5 years in the last decade - which indicates the influx of young audiophiles has slowed dramatically.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  16. Heuer

Nils

Maybe Hifi companies should advocate age based discounts. Say 50% off to 23 year old students?

It is worrying though, and provides another reason for me buying second hand gear in the first place.

Nils, Jan 6, 2006
  17. Heuer

anon_bb Honey Badger

2nd hand prices have plummetted over the years ... another worrying sign, especially concerning younger hifi buyers on a budget.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  18. Heuer

Tenson Moderator

**** yeah!! 23 and below :)

I think the problem is exposure. Most have not heard enough good audio to know it exists and hear the difference. I suppose the price is also a reason. Good kit is so expensive unless it is your passion you probably would have that kind of disposable income until late 30's!

Tenson, Jan 6, 2006
  19. Heuer

Nils

Yeah, I'm currently spending far too much on it. Although saying that, my passions are whiskey, hifi and brains. Hifi seems to be the only one that offers some kind of financial returns.

Nils, Jan 6, 2006
  20. Heuer

griffo104

Can't blame the youth's in all honesty. The music around now is being turned in to turgid manufactured crap - where are the next Clash, Hendrix, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Queen, etc.. etc..

I'm sure if free downloaded music was available when we were 18 a fair few of us wouldn't have got into hifi either.

As for Heuer - losing a grand is very bad and hopefully the creditors will get some (or all of it back) but with the IR and C&E owed money I feel he's going to lose out.

I also feel a lot more companies who doe support our hobby are going to go this way as well. We are now a niche and have to accept that.

griffo104, Jan 6, 2006
Ask a Question