Manchester to Ibiza with a twist

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Mar 13, 2009.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am hopefully going to Ibiza this summer with my friends to go some of the rock gigs.

Now here is the twist, they are all going by plane and are being boring. To me a holiday is not a holiday without seeing other places. I have always wanted to go to Paris and Barcelona again as I love those two cities so I have come up with a plan.

Day one:-
    Manchester to London via train - two hours. Get to London for 11.00
    Spend a couple of hours in London and walk down to St Pancras to get the train to Paris - 3 hours. Get to Paris by 4 (depending on times)
    Get the train from Paris to Barcelona and sleep on the train

Day two:-

Arrive in Barcelona chill a bit, get the tube down to Olypmia and visit one of my favourite bars in the city, have a few drinks now I probably need to stop off the night in Barcelona due to ferry times, the logistics need to be checked

Day three - Get ferry to Ibiza and arrive there in style texting my mates who have been stuck at Manchester Airport for two days due to delays.

Spend 4 nights in Ibiza

Now this works out well and is not even that expensive, the problem is the return journey, I need to mix this up otherwise it will be so boring. Does anybody have any idea of any railway journey I could make from Barcelona back up to Northern Europe? I could stop off some where on the way.

Another alternative would be to make my way to Western Spain such as Bilbaeo and get the ferry back to Portsmouth or something.

Has anybody got any suggestions?

I've been to Paris loads of times via train from Manchester and its a doddle especialy now its from St Pancras and not Waterloo as its now walking distance from Euston.

My concerns are sharing a bed with strangers in the hoteltrain but I have to sleep on the train as this will save me a hotel bill.

I am actually looking forward to it, a friend thinks it is risky and dangerious but as I pointed out this is developed Europe, not central Africa. That said the only strange city I have spent the night on my own is London but that did not stop me from wondering round Soho at night etc.

Edit it seems I can get ferry fares for just £25 each way but I need to brush up on my Spannish as I am not sure if you need a vehicle or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2009
    amazingtrade, Mar 13, 2009
  2. amazingtrade

Edit made some progress with the ferries, I can get a ferry for £25 on day two at 9pm arrive at Ibiza in the morning. This gives me a day to explore Barcelona for the second time (not been since 2004 and I loved it, reminded me very much of Manchester but much hotter).

The issue I have now is also my business, as this trip will probably take 9-10 days. Realisticaly I will need 5 days in Ibiza to relax.

amazingtrade, Mar 13, 2009
  3. amazingtrade

spica

well..that sounds like a Fabulous Idea, though as you have found, either way you are restricted to time, but your friends believe that by zooming to destination means more time spent at destination.. not realizing that the time is then wasted as all they will really be doing is filling time waiting for the return.
    By slowing *your* outward journey, as is your relaxed plan, am sure your return will at least be doubly lengthened by your gradual arrival.

i think your friends need step out and locate their sense of adventure.

The route is good..hope you stick with it :)

spica, Mar 13, 2009
  4. amazingtrade

Haselsh1 Shaun H

Mmm... Fab idea Amazingtrade. It's like going on a big sea cruise, you get to spend evey single day in a new location. I love those kind of breaks, it's good for the spirit.​

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2009
    Haselsh1, Mar 13, 2009
  5. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, that's a great idea.. :)

I took an ex and flew over to copenhagen and we hopped on a train (that also hopped on a ferry - most surreal!) down to hannover then came back....love those kind of trips.. :)

mr cat, Mar 13, 2009
  6. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

Nothing to worry about,unless your getting off the train mid journey and sleep past your stop.If you want adventure try the train trip from Hanoi to Sappa,or Hanoi to Ho chi min (Saigon)

themadhippy, Mar 13, 2009
  7. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Sounds good AT!

I'm sure it will all go wrong, being you ;)

But will all add to the adventure!

MO!, Mar 24, 2009
  8. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Get over there, get pissed get a sexually transmitted disease.

You are a young single man right? (i.e. not married in your mid 60s?)

garyi, Mar 25, 2009
  9. amazingtrade

DavidF

Have great time AT

DavidF, Mar 25, 2009
  10. amazingtrade

Sadly this has now been called off. It is a long story but I learnt a lot in planning this and I intend to still do something similar but may be in the UK (cheaper!) and bymself. I never been to the South West and I have always wanted to go down to Cornwall and Devon so may do that.

amazingtrade, Mar 26, 2009
Ask a Question