Manchester to London and back - cheaper than a 4 mile taxi!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Nov 27, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I want to go to London in December as I need to get away from Manchester. The train journey there is £7, on the way back its £9.

Yet a taxi back to my house will cost £10 (ok title slightly miss leading). The train arrives at manc at 11:35 at night by which time the buses stop running.

And the the taxi drivers now have a cheek to chargr a 20 fuel surcharge even though fuel is now cheaper than I can remember for a long time.

amazingtrade, Nov 27, 2008
  2. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

But the taxi drivers need to have the brake lines changed every week, hence the price.

penance, Nov 27, 2008
  3. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

From andover to birmingham and back is £95 so you got a very good price on tickets thats for sure.

garyi, Nov 28, 2008
  4. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, cheap as chips at that price - from newcastle to london - it's cheaper to fly...

mr cat, Nov 28, 2008
  5. amazingtrade

You get to learn all the tricks if you use the train a lot. If you turned up at the station on the day it would be around £250.

The Manchester to London service is now every 20 minutes, each having 9 carraiges, thats 900 people per train and 2700 people an hour. They are not always full and they charge most tickets at around £60 each for a single so they sell the unsold ones very cheaply in the hope you will then spend money on the onboard shop.

It is staggering though really, leave my house at 8:30, get some breakfast at the station, would be in London for 11:30.

amazingtrade, Nov 28, 2008
  6. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

It isn't a trick. It's mobitix. Tickets to your mobile phone from the Virgin site. Now booking Manchester to London up to Dec 12th.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/specialoffers/default.aspx

it gets lots of traffic so best at night.

I'm going in February. Advance tkts £8 each way and that's off the train line regular site.

Bob McC, Nov 28, 2008
  7. amazingtrade

But sometimes you can only book from that one way, I have managed to get both of that, but sometimes I have to use tricks to get a cheap ticket. Manchester to Stoke on Trent, Stoke on Trent to Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes to London that sort of thing (all on the train station).

Manchester > Stoke on Trent > Birmingham New Street is another good discount, and you never need to leave the train.

amazingtrade, Nov 28, 2008
  8. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Try Manchester to London!
    12 weeks in advance
    £8 each way.

Bob McC, Nov 29, 2008
Ask a Question