Manger Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amir, Aug 10, 2005.

1. amir

amir

wow
    I listened manger zerobox 103 and 107 with shanling tube amplifier at local dealer show room. huge detail and transparensy across smooth and airy and coherent soundstage with ultra natural music flow. but alittle boxy in bass area and less open at mid/high with less rich sounding at midbass.

but can i believe my ears for under 7000$ system?
    did you listened to these gears?

amir, Aug 10, 2005
  2. amir

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

amir if you like shanling you should have a look at cattylink at your leisure.

www.cattylink.com

I havent heard the Manger driver.

bottleneck, Aug 10, 2005
  3. amir

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Owned the 107's for a while, dynamic & open but some what lifeless(groove factor) (used with spectral 360's & big 600 pass lab mono's)
    Nicely made and different enough to warrant a listen, I believe Overkill audio, actually make the manger driver sound the way it should. Wm

wadia-miester, Aug 10, 2005
  4. amir

amir

i don't love shanling i love manger sound

amir, Aug 10, 2005
  5. amir

Anex Thermionic

:rolleyes:

Anex, Aug 10, 2005
  6. amir

amir

manger need tube gear for it's mid

amir, Aug 10, 2005
  7. amir

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Well Manger UK recommend ASR amps :)
    Anyway you've found something you like now, maybe you can buy them and post how much you love them :)

wadia-miester, Aug 10, 2005
  8. amir

amir

:confused:

amir, Aug 10, 2005
  9. amir

Anex Thermionic

I don't see it matters what things cost when they're cheaper than you expected, cost means very little in terms of performance. If its good, go with it.

Anex, Aug 10, 2005
  10. amir

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

One warning which most will no doubt ignore as I am the "Technician" for the UK Shanling Importer (be my guests), buying from HK or mainland China means you get Equipment with 220V Mains transformers.

As a result, on the UK mains of 240V averaged over 48 Hours the valve heaters will run well past safe limits, meaning in turn valves have a very much diminished lifespan, plus the safe limit on certain capacitors may also be exceeded.

If as a result the Amplifiers (or CD Players) blow up (as often with a burnt out mains transformer as with other problems) you will have great fun trying to collect your warranty from the chinese reseller (and pay for shipping both ways).

Ciao T

3DSonics, Aug 11, 2005
  11. amir

fair point Thorsten.

I actually asked Cattylink about that. They said that if requested 240v can be obtained from the factory if requested.

bottleneck, Aug 11, 2005
  12. amir

Hi,

Very curious. After at least officially the factory only supplies authorised Dealers. I am also aware of one other brand that definitly does not supply people like cattylink directly and who therefore would not make 240V versions available to them, yet they advertise them.

While I cannot 100% confirm this for Shanling (there I only know the official statements from the manufacturer) I do know for a fact of the second brand that any items bought directly from china are in fact chinese domestic market models, with 220V Mains transformers and with in many cases lesser quality passive components, compared to "export" models.

It is likely to be the case for many other brands carried by these export companies as well. Hence it may be prudent to verify with the actual Manufacturer that whatever source one buys from is actually authorised to resell and can obtain the correct variant of a given model for the country, or to accept the risk of being left with a broken device that no-one will fix.

I get at least 1 E-Mail per month about broken grey imports, which we refuse to fix even on a basis of a non-warranty paid for repair, as we would have to warrant any paid repairs, which due to the 220V Mains Transformers fitted we simply will not do. No doubt other distributors of other chinese brands will take a similar stance.

So, caveat emptor.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Aug 11, 2005
  13. amir

Paul Ranson

Does 0.5v make that much difference?

What spec transformer gets used for the rest of Europe?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Aug 11, 2005
  14. amir

Hi,

Each 5% reduction in heater voltage are about equal to douybling valve life, each 5% up are about having. So, operating a Valve at the nominal limit (6.3V +10%) already cuts the lifespan drastically.

Equally, running the heaters too low cuts emission and thus power/gain, so for Audio gear with valves you really do need the exact voltage. Old Valve Supply Transformers I have around had primary taps from 220-260V in 10V steps to ensure the correct voltages.

What you also find is that especially the DC heaters in most Shanling gear tend to be operated even at nominal mains voltage for the unit at a level notably above nominal, so there is little room for high voltages.

You need to ask European Distributors that. However many European countries have the same 220V Mains system as Chine (Germany certainly has). The recent European standard of 230V was chosen to allow a single nominal voltage, where equipment would run a little on the high side in the UK and a little low in other european countries.

For fun, in my main job (I'm not getting rich from Fixing/Modding Shanling gear) we have problems with our computer equipment because the mains voltages varies between around 220V under heavy load from the nearby inductrial estate to as much as 260V late at night, yet the Electricity company takes the view that supplying a 240V average across 48 Hours fulfills their obligation (that according to our sites facility manager).

We are finally getting a massive on-line UPS system to cover the whole floor as our fairlure rate of computers is appaling. I wonder how long mainland china Shanling gear would survive on the premises!

Anyway, yes the 20V difference in mains does matter and combined with a less than ideal local supply can easily burn out mains transformers during overvoltage conditions (where a 240V mains transformer does survive) and yes, the impact on valve life is significant.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Aug 11, 2005
  15. amir

I know cattylink advertise both the export and domestic versions of the amp at slightly different prices.

Of course another alternative is to pay £20 to for a gadget to drop the voltage to 220v. Problem solved :)

bottleneck, Aug 11, 2005
Ask a Question