Manufacturers on the web: a double edged sword?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Not wanting to get bogged down in specifics and also an entirely different issue to the current "ZG & trade posters" thread but I'm curious to know what the general feeling is about the benefits, or otherwise, of hi-fi manufacturers being present in discussion on the web - as distinct from simply having a web presence for information.

Two main areas here: either manufacturers own forums in which the company itself actively participates, or by company representatives posting on open forums.

As has been evident in recent years, some trade posters have a happy knack of getting along wherever they happen to post and this must surely be good for business. Others seem to alienate as many people as they win over, on balance this may still be good for business but will also result in potential customers being put off for life.

As to manufacturer run forums, one of the friendliest UK forums (IMO) is an Unofficial site (which is obviously looked at by the company involved), the fact of the manufacturer being at arms length seems to work well for all involved.

So, is all publicity good publicity?

From the businesses point of view is keeping up the noise always a good plan?

Coda II, Jul 9, 2010
  2. Coda II

Alan Brown

That's got to depend on whether the manufacturer carefully manages their image or not - if they are brand led with a large-ish customer base, they can likely afford to simply be present to answer queries.

As to manufacturers & designers in particular on open forums, I think it is great. Controversial, interesting, often amusing, and sometimes enlightening...it really is into the lion's den if they venture into forum-land.

If they want to engage, let them. If it is good or bad for business, it is still their responsibility. They do have points of view to share, experiences and tall tales, all of which makes forums more interesting places.

From a business point of view, I suspect keeping up the noise is more interesting, if the business model can sustain it!

Alan Brown, Jul 9, 2010
  3. Coda II

DrMartin

That is very true. The first category works for me. I tend to trust dealers who openly post on forums such as this one and who are happy to help in a friendly and non-confrontational way.

As for the second category, that tells me who to steer well clear of and who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw. Not all publicity is good publicity.

DrMartin, Jul 9, 2010
  4. Coda II

danworth81 english through n through

Leaving urself open to attack on an open forum can be a a certainty if u are a manufacturer or trade member but the way it is dealt with I think shows true character!

Defend ur corner with grace and withold ur dignaty but just dont get caught up in the bulls**t!

On a whole I have a lot of respect for anyone in the business who is willing to take time to share their thoughts, opinions and just simply take the time to have a chat to the rest of us :)

Over on another forum, (Mundo) we have Adam from Eden audio, who is a distributer, has his own shop and forum and he is a throroughly lovely guy and we have just got in Richy from Kef amoungst a couple others (engineers and some real geeks) from other parts of the world, having this mixture from across the globe is very interesting. None of us ever fall out or have a bad word to say about each other.

It is by far the most relaxed an least argumentative forum I have ever been on! Although there are some strong views there its all very well mannered :)

danworth81, Jul 9, 2010
  5. Coda II

nando nando

i think that it is best to let people know what you are about, also to be "as a dealer" to help people with problems with their hi-fi, withing reason , i do help most times even though they did not buy from me,
    nando.

nando, Jul 9, 2010
  6. Coda II

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Some brands have staff who are keen to help, eager to answer to capable of doing so technically and in a style unlikely to offend.

Other brands are staffed by loud-mouthed over opinionated twats who are either mental or don't know when to shut up.

I find all of them equally interesting.

sq225917, Jul 9, 2010
  7. Coda II

nando nando

well, all good things eventually come to an end,
    nando.

nando, Jul 10, 2010
  8. Coda II

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Sorry Nando, but I don't see the relevance of your 'good things coming to an end' comment; could you explain further please?

YNMOAN, Jul 10, 2010
  9. Coda II

nando nando

think of the future of manufacturers and dealers, i belive we are going to back to vintage renovation of hi-fi past,
    nando.

nando, Jul 10, 2010
  10. Coda II

Richard Dunn

About time! you are now starting to think about it.

Richard Dunn, Jul 10, 2010
  11. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

You have to be careful though as an awful lot of shockingly bad hi-fi classifies as vintage and much of it would be more at home in a museum than a listening room.

Just because something looks substantial and was SOTA back in the day doesn't make it a good buy today. There are very real improvements in many areas with some modern kit.

The skill is weeding out the truly exceptional old stuff from the dross and the piles of kit that was severely compromised by the available technology.

A good example of online vintage hi-fi sales is probably Nick's Emporium, which mainly trades through eBay but you are far less likely to be buying a dud from the likes of Nick than simply taking a normal auction punt. <he says as my 12th pair of vintage speakers got delivered today!>

RobHolt, Jul 10, 2010
  12. Coda II

nando nando

i had it my mind for a long time RICHARD, i still have a lot of " vintage" hi-fi, but having various talks with clients and dealers i know now that the feed back that i recieved was:VALVES AND REJUVINATED , old hi-fi, IMO,
    nando.

nando, Jul 10, 2010
  13. Coda II

Richard Dunn

What you are saying is just as applicable to new gear, there always has been a lot of dross. That is part of the fun of it, finding the gems amoungst the bits of distorted glass.

Richard Dunn, Jul 10, 2010
  14. Coda II

nando nando

witch ones are they ROB?
    nando.

nando, Jul 10, 2010
  15. Coda II

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Err..nothing to do with the OP then (which is all about the pros and Cons of having trade members posting on forums - not the validity, or otherwise, of vintage hi-fi)?

YNMOAN, Jul 10, 2010
  16. Coda II

nando nando

the thread has a wide and diverse view on the way that the industry is going, i know and i hope i am wrong, there will be very few manufacturers left in the coming year, if not before, manufacturers always sold direct since day one, it is nothing new, dealers as well new and were compensated by free goods if they ordered a certain amount, the 70's were a good exsample in many a retailers, i have accepted the fact that now it is coming more public, double edge sword? well.......... nando.

nando, Jul 10, 2010
  17. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

Nothing to get excited about - just a pair of little Wharfedale Denton XP2s.
    8" paper bass driver and a small cone tweeter in a stout plain box - and all for £8 :)

They make a nice sound and are less challenged than I'd assumed they'd be, other than having no real bass at all. A small period budget AR such as the AR8 is clearly better.

Anyway back on topic, there are potential benefits for traders using forums though it depends on the product for there to be a sales benefit IMO.
    If a trader is selling tweaks and modification I think there is more benefit to be gained than a trader selling a traditional product.
    That's because the online audio community tends to attract the tweakers and experimenters. My personal view is that much (but not all) of this is a waste of time and money, but it keeps a small sub-set of the industry happy. It is a market whatever view you adopt.

The real benefit for traders on forums comes from the the broader discussions IMO. those not necessarily related to their own products. Handled correctly, participation in online discussion can clearly enhance reputation and profile.

RobHolt, Jul 10, 2010
  18. Coda II

nando nando

totally agree ROB, i think that unbias views as well as such are a great conversation topic, disscution is great with a touch of sugar,
    nando.

nando, Jul 10, 2010
  19. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

So what about manufacturer run forums then?

Do they inevitably need to be pretty tightly moderated to keep them 'on message' ?

Can they (successfully) be sounding boards for new ideas - a focus group that is always on tap ?

Coda II, Jul 12, 2010
  20. Coda II

Mescalito

Check out the Linn forum. Very lightly moderated. A breath of fresh air after the walled garden that is the Naim forum.

Chris

Mescalito, Jul 12, 2010
Ask a Question