Manufacturers on the web: a double edged sword?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Coda II

Mescalito

I am actually a member of The Subjectivist. It is not my cup of tea, I strongly disagree with it's philosophy & I will not be logging on again.

Chris

Mescalito, Jul 14, 2010
  2. Coda II

Dev Moderator

This is my understanding too. The following links might be of interest:-

http://www.out-law.com/page-430

http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/distance-selling-regulations/

Dev, Jul 14, 2010
  3. Coda II

Fnuckle Trade

Look, I am really sorry to keep bringing this up, but the perversion and devaluation of formal terms like this is one of my pet hates.

Taking the argument to the man (argumentum ad hominem) is not simply addressing an individual, even if that address is insulting or offensive. It is a logical fallacy, and as such it has a very specific structure, that has been in place since Aristotle.

The form is an attempt to undermine the force of an premise by maligning the person making that premise. It is not coextensive with insult, because mere insult does not necessarily include an argument against a premise. An insult only turns to argumentum ad hominem fallacy if personal attacks are themselves used as arguments against a premise.

Philosophers have unsuccessfully tried to defend the formal nature of the term 'begging the question' (it means assuming the proof of something that requires additional proof - 'Frank is overweight because he weighs too much' - rather than the journalistic cliché of taking it to mean it 'invites the question'), so they are left with returning this logical fallacy to its Latin form - petitio principi - in order to formally define the fallacious form. By perverting the formal nature of argumentum ad hominem and calling your perversion of the same ad hominem, your actions prevent even that.

So please, do not simply make up your own definition of argumentum ad hominem, because in so doing you undermine a very formal definition of a logical fallacy. It's as wrong as calling FETs and bipolar output devices 'the same thing'. I understand that 'please stop with the ad hominems' sounds more intelligent that 'please stop with the insults', but it really does not when your own definition is at odds with 2,500 years of logical thought.

Fnuckle, Jul 14, 2010
  4. Coda II

Mescalito

My main problem with buying direct from an internet-only manufacturer is the same one I have with using shareware. With few exceptions, most of the internet-only manufacturers tend to be small and in some cases little more than craft based cottage industry outfits.

In other words, like a piece of shareware, there is always the potential for the company to suddenly disappear, leaving you with a totally unsupported product. Indeed, some of these companies have a history of suddenly dropping off the radar.

I know that medium to big companies can and do stop supporting their kit, but for a product from a real manufacturer, the chances are that there is enough of their kit out there for it to be a simple matter to find a third party repair company.

Regards,

Chris

Mescalito, Jul 14, 2010
  5. Coda II

Richard Dunn

I have put a link to this so many times it is silly, so if you wont read the link then here is the text.

Definition: Ad hominem is a Latin term meaning "to the man". It is short for "argumentum ad hominem" which refers to an argument against a man. An argument that is ad hominem is one that has deviated from the claims being made and has instead focused on the person making the claims.

This is *exactly* what I am saying. You keep saying I am refering to insults as ad hominem, I am not. I am saying that *on forums* ad hominem always leads to conflict and insults. Does it sink in this time :rolleyes:

Richard Dunn, Jul 14, 2010
  6. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Wasn't the original point about a restocking fee after a home demo:

as opposed to an on line purchase.

The suggestion would then appear to be: buy it on line, try it at home, if you don't like it cancel the contract for a full refund.

Coda II, Jul 14, 2010
  7. Coda II

Fnuckle Trade

The two quotes above (both from you) contradict one another. The first (incorrectly) implies that insult and argumentum ad hominem are coextensive. The second (correctly) does not.

So, please be more precise in your terminology in future. Otherwise an army of philosophers will think at you in a bad way.

Fnuckle, Jul 14, 2010
  8. Coda II

Neil

"Otherwise an army of philosophers will think at you in a bad way."

;-)

Neil, Jul 14, 2010
  9. Coda II

danworth81 english through n through

With regards to the 20% I mention this as a friend recently had a row with a dealer as he was not informed about this 20% restocking fee and was told it was in the small print, absolutely scandelous IMO, I didnt realise it was illegal!

So ultimately if they cannot charge this buying direct would be even better as u can have it sent straight to ur home and test with ur own gear in ur own room, I can understand having to foot the bill for the courier for the privelage but Im pretty sure if my mind serves me right that u refund that even?

danworth81, Jul 14, 2010
  10. Coda II

Its semms to me like the two of u guys are 'detail men'!

Guys who naturally by nature pick things to pieces and concentrate heavily on details and facts and are very precise in all practices in ur day to day life.

This is a really good thing IMO when it comes to business and products and its always best to scutinise everything which is probably why the pair of u are so successful at what u do :)

On the down side tho if two people like urselves get together with slightly different points of view the wars begin as u are both very precise in ur statements and both very committed to them!

No one wants to back down but maybe sometimes its batter to stand to one side and think its going nowhere, it has no real bearing on my life so balls to it! :)

Ur just gunna have to agree to disagree chaps

danworth81, Jul 14, 2010
  11. Coda II

Mescalito

I have backed out of the great "ad hominem" debate, other than a PM to Richard.

But no, actually, your advice would be valid were the dispute to concern opinion. Ad hominem is extremely precisely defined. There is a correct definition. It is not Richard's.

Chris

PS, why all the "UR"'s? As far as I am aware ther is no message size limit in operation on the forum.

Chris

Mescalito, Jul 14, 2010
  12. Coda II

Its their opinion on the definition of the subject for which I am refering too

I just suppose Im used to abbreviating certain words as a habit, although strangely enough they seems to be some of the shorter ones in a sentance.

I have to keep editing letters all the time and emails as I keep doing it there too, maybe its down to mobile phone texting I hate it and try to be as short and sweet as possible. If I get a question via text usually I just reply 'K' instead of saying okay :)

I suppose we all have our habits, my dog for instance wont stop licking his own ass!!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
    danworth81, Jul 14, 2010
  13. Coda II

Fnuckle Trade

You're right and my last post on the subject was my last post on the subject, although I reserve the right to issue a few 'grrs'. I've said my piece.

Fnuckle, Jul 14, 2010
  14. Coda II

Richard Dunn

For me they are both the same.

Richard Dunn, Jul 14, 2010
  15. Coda II

Markus S Trade

Richard, why did you remove the thread I started on your forum? IIRC it was called Thread to point out inconsistencies in Richard Dunn's thinking, or words to that effect. I think you actually agreed it was within the guidelines of your forum.

Markus S, Jul 15, 2010
  16. Coda II

Purite Audio Purite Audio

He just didn't want to' add homme in' .
    Keith

Purite Audio, Jul 15, 2010
  17. Coda II

Richard Dunn

Because no body replied to it, it just sat there for no reason apart from as an indicator of your bias and desire to create conflict. I think it said "does anyone see inconsistencies in RD's post" or something similar, it was up for a few days and no one replied or posted, so I posted "if no one wishes to post on this thread within two days I will take it down" no one did so it was taken down.

Richard Dunn, Jul 15, 2010
  18. Coda II

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

But how many viewed it? In all honesty I've never encountered 'lack of interest' as being a reason for moderators to delete a thread.

Many threads attract relatively few written responses but that does not mean that they are not of value to those that have read them.

As a point of interest, is not this latest discussion in breach of the AUP, as in involves the actions of another forum?

YNMOAN, Jul 15, 2010
  19. Coda II

Richard Dunn

When a thread has been put up deliberatly to create conflict or criticism, which was obvious in this case, then both myself and fellow mods were perfectly willing to let it run if people wanted to post on it, but to leave it up as an unreplied to question (you must remember the OP had no comment or opinion it was just a request for it from others) and no one was willing to reply with an opinion, then what is the point of it, it contained no imformation apart from *one* person was trying to stir up conflict.

Now if it is so important to him then why didn't he put it up on the forum he is a mod of, namely Pink Fish or even here. So put it up here, I have no objections and then we well see all the usual suspects vent their spleen, but it wont be on topic as there have been no inconsistencies.

There are people who want me off the forums, your business partner Flatty is one of them and I am sure you share his views as I have been so critical of his products and business ethics. Why else would he arrive here within 48 hours of me beginning to post here again, he could have come any time for years, and look at his posting focus, well over 50% about me, not about the thread subject, always turning it to ad hominem, which yet again for people who don't understand it means addressing the poster and not the post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
    Richard Dunn, Jul 15, 2010
  20. Coda II

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

Just to get the facts correct here. I saw that Rob posted on pfm and I sent a PM saying nice to see him posting again. He mentioned his involvement with ZG so I joined.

flatpopely, Jul 15, 2010
Ask a Question