Manufacturers on the web: a double edged sword?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Coda II

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

flatpopely, Jul 16, 2010
  2. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

There isn't any - nor is there meant to be!

The above is a process to detect differences and establish that they are real.
    Having done so, you then listen to music and enjoy it.

I now spend far less time swapping cables, farting around with spikes and cones, spending money of audiophile supports, doing potty internal component 'upgrades' or reading OTT reviews of the latest super product wondering what I'm possibly missing.
    I've now proven to my own satisfaction that much of this is complete rubbish and I'm quite content playing music through the system I have.

Any kit swapping these days is largely confined to testing old stuff that I collect and restore, or stuff I'm building.

RobHolt, Jul 16, 2010
  3. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

RobHolt, Jul 16, 2010
  4. Coda II

And the 'Rite of Spring' I hope?

Two ends of the spectrum musically and therefore very useful.

On my system replayed using the Audigy NX2 its a close run thing between original and recorded.

flatpopely, Jul 16, 2010
  5. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

I have them Andrew.

I paid a sneaky visit to the PFM audio room earlier and downloaded Guy's superb live recording of the brass band. Well worth downloading.
    I played them on the statics tonight about as loud as I dare, and wow - talk about walk in realism :)

RobHolt, Jul 16, 2010
  6. Coda II

I'll download that and have a listen.

flatpopely, Jul 16, 2010
  7. Coda II

Richard Dunn

Thats sad, so you are stuck in a rut, don't worry about it you will eventually find something to turn you on, you are probably just going through a phase like this because you got so fed up with changing. I know others who go through, this I think Gromit is in one of those phases at the moment, and you see it with people who suddenly down size their system. The difference is you have found some sort of daft excuse for being like it. As I say the joy will return.

Richard Dunn, Jul 17, 2010
  8. Coda II

You are aware Rob is coming around to yours tomorrow? Because to an outsider that's an aggressive post. It's not what you say but how you say it.

Read it back to yourself.

flatpopely, Jul 17, 2010
  9. Coda II

Dave Simpson Plywood King

Actually, I agree with Richard. I got so feed up with hifi as a career and a hobby I gave up both for quite a few years. I returned to the hobby after finding a system that brought me pleasure once again and haven't looked back. Getting away from the industry was the best thing I ever did;-)

Dave Simpson, Jul 17, 2010
  10. Coda II

Oh bugger, I'm just starting out :(

flatpopely, Jul 17, 2010
  11. Coda II

Totally different when you work for yourself Andrew. You'll do just fine!

12. Coda II

Thanks.

I'm determined to offer good stuff that people want and enjoy as well making us easy to deal with from both a user and dealer point of view.
    I love music and hifi, that feeling will be endemic within AudioFlat.

Andrew.

flatpopely, Jul 17, 2010
  13. Coda II

That's what it's all about Andrew.

I worked in a shop that started off with an owner that loved music and bringing it into the home but everything went downhill quickly when her newly unemployed husband came on board and turned it into nothing more than a business. Our product line went from the best sounding gear we could find in every price range to the most profitable with no more concern for sound quality. Disillusioned, I quickly left. I refused to recommend or sell products that I didn't believe in.

regards,

dave

14. Coda II

Fnuckle Trade

Unfortunately, that's the problem when you let your passion become your career. You have to fight to keep the passion alive, and find the things you need to do to keep the business going are rarely going to help do that.

Fnuckle, Jul 17, 2010
  15. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

That is incredibly presumptuous and not a little patronising - you cannot possibly know what pleasure I obtain from my system.

The reverse though is very often the case. People encouraged to do all sorts of daft stuff just give up because most of it turns out to be (often costly) nonsense.

But i'm just off off the station, so you can tell me in detail later how much I don't enjoy my system ;)

RobHolt, Jul 17, 2010
  16. Coda II

Richard Dunn

I see it as a stress and information overload problem, it is a similar perception shut down that happens to people who are not used to blind testing.

The best thing to do is say "F' it" and go and do something else. I have a similar thing in desgn or manufacture. Sometimes I get a problem that just wont go away and the more I work on it the more frustrated I get. I find the solution is just put it in another room, build something else - have a day off - sit in the garden and sun bath. A day or two latter I come back to it, and more often than not the solution is right there. I think the expression is a break is as good as a rest or something like that.

17. Coda II

Well I have succeeded in my main job. I have worked in AV for 20 years, the last 7 running my own company. It's not easy to keep the passion alive but it is possible.
    Nothing gives me a greater buzz than diagnosing a problem for somebody and getting the system working.

flatpopely, Jul 17, 2010
  18. Coda II

Richard Dunn

I should have put a smilie after it ;) but in terms of patronising, it takes one to know one :D ;) (this time I haven't forgotten the smilies)

19. Coda II

Markus S Trade

Thanks for the explanation. It makes no sense whatsoever to me, but at least it's an explanation.

Markus S, Jul 17, 2010
  20. Coda II

nando nando

that was a nice pint, it sounded better with my tannoy's must buy you one back,
    nando.:JPS:

nando, Jul 18, 2010
Ask a Question