Maplin BNC plug

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by wolfgang, Apr 7, 2005.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang

After I have managed to successfully repair the WC pump for the wife in the weekend with out resorting to any books or instruction other then careful observation, I thought I will try to make a ariel lead with a coaxial to BNC plug. I thought if I chop off on end of the coaxial plug and replace it with a BNC version that would be the simplest. However, since I don't have a crimp tool or a glue gun, errr.....sorry, solder, I thought I just buy this screw on version.

[​IMG]

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1563&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=7m4

Got it back and after studying it with care I am never so clueless how to proceed. It says at the website all you have to do now is, ''strip outer sheath then fold the screen back over the outer sheath, then strip the inner sheath and screw the plug on.'' Sounds true good to be true. Any help from you lot would be appreciated. Maybe it is a case of just cut the cable and study the inner construction to understand which bit go where.

wolfgang, Apr 7, 2005
  2. wolfgang

Graham C

Look for the gold centre pin loose in the packet! it goes on the centre wire, and you still need to crimp the damn thing - tho I suppose you could solder it on somehow. The only difference with the screw one is that the screen conductor part isnt crimped with a sexy hexagonal die tool thingy. Also, dont crimp/solder the central pin until you are 100% happy how its going to fit together, cos you only get one..Also when it is attached, it needs to push through the white polythene seperator until it clicks into a locked position. I have some very narrow pliers that can pull the pin until it clicks from the front, but most people dont. I tried the screw-on BNC once and found it very confusing, but I did get it. I think mine had an instruction sheet, and I had crimped [much simpler] dozens of the old 'thinnet' cables in the past.

If none of the above helps...think 'peeling a banana - with another banana to peel inside..'

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2005
    Graham C, Apr 7, 2005
  3. wolfgang

wolfgang

Thanks for taking the time to describe these. Will look at the thingy carefully later in the week.

wolfgang, Apr 8, 2005
Ask a Question