Marantz CD faulty - Replace or repair?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Aug 17, 2006.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The past year the soldering on the RCA sockets has been going, but a little tap would cure it, now its going to worse.

It some times cuts out as songs are playing.

I have a CD6000 OSE LE, I could either get it repaired or sell it on ebay and buy a new CDP for around £200.

Would a Cambridge Azure (640 model) be an upgrade of a side ways move?

I have been listening to a lot of punk lately and my system can be a tad bright with this kind of music. I am listening to the Buzzcocks now Shellys voice sounds quite shrill (though I doubt any HIFI could solve that problem:D )

amazingtrade, Aug 17, 2006
  2. amazingtrade

70sman

get a soldering iron, some solder and fix it, quite easy.

70sman, Aug 17, 2006
  3. amazingtrade

I am just worried abouit my soldering skills, they were never up to much, and if I put too much on I can wreck a perfectly good PCB :(

4. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

its a waste of time us offering advice - you always ignore it... :D

but seriously, open it up - assess the damage then you can decide how big a job it's gonna be - have you got a solder kit..? - I remember you asking about one sometime ago...
    how much would you get if you sold it now..? - how much less would you get if you scuppered the pcb..?

mr cat, Aug 17, 2006
  5. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

Yes hasn't this been covered about ten times now? TOUCH the soldering iron at the base of the plastic plug mount thingy, as soon as the solder melts, its done. The chances of you killing the PCB are pretty well nill as long as you take your time.

Anex, Aug 17, 2006
  6. amazingtrade

Its just removing the PCB and everything as well though, there is no way of accessing the joint without removing the PCB in its entirely, I tried fixing it before, gave up, decided to live with it but now its gone beyond that point. It must have been like this for a 1 year now.

I reckon I could get £50-£60 for its in current condition, it does work, but needs repairing to be properly usable, if it was working then perhaps about £120-£150 or so. The LE I model I have is quite sought after as they are fairly rare, they did retail at £330 at one point, but I paid £150 for it as its was in the clearence sale (it was already 4 years old by then).

7. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

Taking the PCB out requires unplugging a few ribbons and undoing some screws. Its not exactly building an atomic bomb.

I'll give you a tenner for it, sold as seen, known to be faulty :)

Anex, Aug 17, 2006
  8. amazingtrade

paul.r

I had a KI version of the 6000, apparently it's a dry joint and quite common on these models – Having no soldering experience I got mine fixed at the local repair shop, cost £40 I think.

Of course, there's always the 'buy a DAC' option....

paul.r, Aug 17, 2006
  9. amazingtrade

The transport does work fine :) A DAC could be a little solution, I used to have one of them early Cambridge DACs but I found it sounded too bright so sold it (for more than what I paid).

10. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

Its not necessarily dry, its the fact that a lot of the strain of plugging stuff into the sockets is taken through the solder joint which eventually gives up. Nasty things those plastic socket mounts.
    I genuinely can't believe someone would consider buying a DAC rather than just completing the easy EASY repair job. Its like hiring an electrician to change a light bulb. More or less. If you actually have a go at it you'll kick yourself for not doing it a year ago.

Anex, Aug 17, 2006
  11. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Throw it away and as you run your own business now and you are shagging a bird, splash out and purchase a decent CD player (Which is not a marantz btw)

I ain't taking the mick BTW, nows a good time to treat your self, get a rega or something.

garyi, Aug 17, 2006
  12. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

Fit castor wheels to the bottom and push it down a hill

Anex, Aug 17, 2006
  13. amazingtrade

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

If you like a warmer sound and are looking to buy a replacement, then I'd consider the NAD C521BEE - when I compared a Marantz CD5400 with this about 3 years ago, the NAD was the warmer of the two and was the one I went for, as I prefer warm to bright.

You may also be able to find a used Rega Planet for about £230ish or so - these are meant to be warm sounding by all accounts. Having listened to an all Rega setup and also a Rega/Totem setup, I'd be inclined to agree - both are systems I could easily live with!

nsherin, Aug 17, 2006
  14. amazingtrade

Snoo

Seriously mate, take it apart and sort the soldering yourself.

The best thing you can do with most electrical appliances (Providing you haven't declared yourself a complete techno-nupty) is get familiar with taking things apart. They are a lot simpler these days due to the assembly process. Companies want to build things quickly.

Get a good soldering iron with a decent wattage. Sit down at a clean table and have a leisurely few hours taking the thing apart in peice and quiet. It's quite theroputic. Have a glance over how things seems to work and it may help to jog your mind for ideas next time something else goes wrong and save you a repair bill.

Now stop wasting time on the internet talking about it and get fixing! ;)

Steady hand, decent iron and just dab those joints. It's a piece of the proverbial.

Snoo, Aug 18, 2006
  15. amazingtrade

Decent soldering, will a 25w Antex do? I am not sure if it works as its not been used for 3 years.

I have a portable one too, but thats not going to be up to the job.

I love taking things apart that don't matter, but this does.

I might try and remove the PCB later, then try and find a working soldering iron (I have several, they are just all over the place).

As for upgrading what has always put me off is you can buy a new CDP for £300, but then my PM6010OSE amp would not be up to the job, so its a new amp, then its new speakers, new headphones, new cables, it never seems to end.

Edit feck it, a clients still not back to me, so it means I have the afternoon free, time to get my hair cut (for my date next week) and then after that I shall destroy a marantz CDP. - Erm I mean fix it :D

PS I am not shagging anybody [yet].

amazingtrade, Aug 18, 2006
  16. amazingtrade

date next week..?? - get a move on man... :D

good luck tho

mr cat, Aug 18, 2006
  17. amazingtrade

Snoo

Another quick tip.

I've avoided Hi-Fi forums and their publications for quite a while now due mostly to work blocking internet sites.

In that time not only have I felt no need whatsoever to upgrade any part of my hi-fi, but I've also done lots of shagging! ;)

Good luck with the CDP.

Snoo, Aug 18, 2006
  18. amazingtrade

somehow I sense an upgrade is now imminent... :D

mr cat, Aug 18, 2006
Ask a Question