Marantz Mods

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by gpc1, Mar 7, 2005.

1. gpc1

gpc1

Hi all,

Have been considering the following upgrade/tweak options.

1 Buy a new CD player......expensive for possibly not much of an improvement.

2 Send off the player ( Marantz cd6000 ose le) to get modded.

Personally i like the idea of option 2.

So...does anyone know where i can get my player modified and upgraded.

And would this be a suitable route to go down. As this is an already very accomplished cd player i think that a relatively inexpensive mod will bear greater results than selling and buying a newr more expensive player.

Hmmmmmm!

Much appreciated
    Gpc1

gpc1, Mar 7, 2005
  2. gpc1

Lt Cdr Data om

hi Marantz are excellent cd players, and really the standard by which others are referred to.

here is an alternative, I preferred the cd63ki to the cd6000 ki, it had more life, more exciting.Definately better imo.

if required, too, you could send off to marantz to get it dp'd for £1k which turns it very good indeed I have heard.

Otherwise, you could get your le tweaked, which probably means clocking which I do not know the value of, may be good, may not be, I am a little unsure, and really the only other thing that would be done are the capacitors and possibly op-amps...the njm2114d, but I tried that in my ki63 to some posh analogue devices chips for negligible difference.balls in your court.
    Personally ,I believe in 'holistic' implementations overall, ie the circuitry and the way it interacts with the power supply, rather than bitty changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, Mar 7, 2005
  3. gpc1

gpc1

Thanks for the advice,

May go for one of these Derek Shek Dacs and see what that does. I only wanted to spend about £100 - £150 and after looking at a couple of websites that doesnt really buy alot of modding and i am beginning to wonder whether the price paid/improvement ratio is worth it for this player. Its already a fine player, perhaps ill look out for a second hand KI and use that with the dac.

If anyone knows of websites for modding players i would much appreciate it.

Cheers

gpc1, Mar 7, 2005
  4. gpc1

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

There's not much point in buying a KI over a standard player to use with a DAC as most of the modifications were to do with the analogue stages of the player.

If you get a DAC like the nos or superDAC, you will find that you can get a good improvement by reclocking the player. I don't know whether the CD6000 suffers the same clock bounce issue that the CD63 and CD67 did. However, a clock with good drive strength should overcome that issue.

I-S, Mar 7, 2005
  5. gpc1

Anex Thermionic

Reclocking is well worth it. You buy the clock, pay postage to and from me, I'll fit it for you.
    Personally I think now is the wrong time to be putting any money into cd. Listening to the moded pioneer Dv575 its better or just different (depending on music, generally better) than a marantz 17KI with trichord clock 4 (the clock 4 makes it sound about £2K. If you get me).
    Makes me wonder what round the corner. Atm all there seems to really be is modded pioneers. That townsend thing is unbelievable, its just a basic pioneer with a few blackgates, new output transistors etc. and a reclock. They don't even put it in a new chassis, they just wrap a new panel around the top and screw a new front plate on.
    I'd wait :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005
    Anex, Mar 7, 2005
  6. gpc1

zanash

have a read of my generic mods on the DIY [if you have not done so allready]. Might give you a few useful tips and hints.

Give me a call if you need more advice.

zanash, Mar 7, 2005
Ask a Question