Marantz SACD

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ken, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Ken

Ken

Has anybody tried the Marantz SA17 SI CD/SACD Player.

A guy is selling one local to me at a very good price.

Ken

Ken, Apr 9, 2005
  2. Ken

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Not sure it was officially available in the UK. Nor could I find reviews on the web

As an aside I'm finding it impossible to audition any good Japanese kit locally, real hifi shops will not carry it in case people buy it off the web or the manufacturers/distributors are imposing too many conditions on the dealers. One local place phoned Marantz while I was there to ask for a demo SA-11s1 and got told it would only be possible if they bought the whole premium range - PM-11, SA-11 and turntable on permament demo!

alanbeeb, Apr 9, 2005
  3. Ken

monotone

Any idea whether the Marantz SA11 would sound better by itself on CD playback, compared to Chord 64 DAC?

monotone, Jul 4, 2005
  4. Ken

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I don't think its a question of better, just different. I am very happy with the CD playback of the SA11, but having owned a DAC64 in the past I can tell you its quite different. The DAC64 projects the sound in a sort of propulsive way that is very invigorating, the SA11 is more reticent and has less weight to the sound and a bit more easy going.

alanbeeb, Jul 4, 2005
  5. Ken

monotone

Thanks alanbeeb

Still waiting for Marantz to resolve my player's issue. Hope to test the SA11 soon.

Using the SA11 & SA17 as transport... would it give much difference with the Chord64 DAC?

monotone, Jul 14, 2005
  6. Ken

Tons of Fun Technical monkey

The SA-17 was imported (in fact I think it is still listed) but has never flown off the shelves. It does sound nice if a trifle smooth with CD and can sound really lovely with SACD (such as they are). The SA-11 is as alanbeeb says, laid back and again a little smooth but can sound fab with the right amp- which I suspect would not be a PM-11. We've got one as a reference unit and it is very nice if not entirely my cup of tea.

Tons of Fun, Jul 20, 2005
  7. Ken

monotone

Any idea how the SA17 compared to the DV9500 in its SACD playback?

monotone, Jul 24, 2005
Ask a Question