Maranz customer service - Are they good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, May 24, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My CDP is going worse so it needs to go back to Marantz for a repair, its the output RCA sockets, I think there must be a loose conection.

I assume I will have to post the unit of to them and they will sent it back to me? How much will it cost to sent it fully insured about £15-£20?

It weighs about 6KG.

amazingtrade, May 24, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

MartinC Trainee tea boy

MartinC, May 24, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

if it's out of waranty - maybe you could try yourself, or get someone on here to do it..??

I'm getting someone to mod my x-dac for me...!

mr cat, May 24, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

My sister had a 63 with duff output sockets. Marantz use all in one plastic jobs, take the case apart and you should be able to see the bottom of the board where the phono stack thing connects. Wobble the phono sockets around, if its a problem there you should see the solder has broken. If it has you just need to touch a hot soldering iron on to remake the joint.

Anex, May 24, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Its still got 9 months left under warranty otherwise I would not be sending it back to Marantz, I am assuming it will have a two years guarentee on it.

I am going to open the lid later to see if I spot anything, it won't affect my warranty in doing this will it. I will also try a different amp input and a new phono lead but I think its highly unlikely since you have to hit the CDP quite hard and it plays.

6. amazingtrade

Its been so long since I have last used a soldering iron though I am not confident enough to fix it myself, I bought this CDP to last me several years as well.

7. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

You literally just have to touch the iron on the solder tag. 63s are easy to work on.

Anex, May 24, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

I will have a look, if it looks like there is not many foreign objects I can spill the solder on near by I might atempt it. I am not sure if I can even find my soldering iron, I do have a nice Antex with a good tip but its been so long.

I have built a few of them £5 Maplin kits to practise my soldering skills but I've never actually managed to get a single one of them working.

9. amazingtrade

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Probably yes, strictly, although if there isn't a sticker joining the case to the main body, and you're not careless, they'll never know. Mind you I would be less inclined to open it up if it is still under warranty; it's your call.

Where did you buy the CD player from? If it is still under warranty it might be a question of you just having to take it back to the dealer, rather than posting it to Marantz yourself. Thet might still charge you postage mind.

MartinC, May 24, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

I'd be careful about even opening it if it's under warantee - just a personal thing like, but some items / companies say that the warantee becomes invalid!

mr cat, May 24, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

I bought it from Superfi back in March 2004.

12. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

i wouldn't open it up for the sake of £15 postage and living without it for a week

Rory, May 24, 2005
  13. amazingtrade

I have already opened it up once about six months ago to takle pictures. I can't see how they could ever tell, plus it was ex display but sold with a complete warranty so I have that to my advantage. There is no way I have damaged anything I haven't even touched anything, Marantz will know this and they it wouldn't be good business sense to refuse to do a £1 repair for somthing like that. If I have modded in it then its a totaly different matter.

It dosn't say it will void the warranty either. However I won't be opening it up again just in case. I will get on the phone tomorrow and take it to the PO.

14. amazingtrade

icehockeyboy

So why not just take it back to Superfi?

icehockeyboy, May 27, 2005
Ask a Question