March Issue Affordable$$Audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by AffordableAudio, Mar 2, 2009.

1. AffordableAudio

AffordableAudio

Hello Everyone:
    Affordable$$Audio's March 2009 issue is ready for free download. This month Patrick reviews the Audio Horizon tube buffer, John takes a look at Wyatt Woodworking's DIY cabinet building kits, along with a second helping of budget monitor comparisons. Plus, much much more.
    Thanks for reading!!
    http://www.affordableaudio.org

AffordableAudio, Mar 2, 2009
  2. AffordableAudio

tones compulsive cantater

"The E-zine for frugal audio enthusiasts"

RIQ-5010 Pure Smoky Quartz Insulator
    Specifications:
    Diameter: 50mm
    Thickness: 10mm
    Load Resistance: 200kg (1 pieces)
    Please take care that the RIQ-5010 is weak in an acuteangled
    load
    Four pieces to a package
    Price: $625

And of course they cause a monumental difference. Comment is superfluous. Last time I ever read this piffle.

tones, Mar 2, 2009
  3. AffordableAudio

Dev Moderator

To be fair Tones, you are not exactly the target reader;).

Dev, Mar 3, 2009
  4. AffordableAudio

Mensch

I particularly appreciated the review in the March A$$A of the Wyatt Woodworking cabinets for the Audio Nirvana drivers. Was there a link to an Audio Nirvana review to entice DIYers further. Every review I've read of these AN drivers has been very positive. The price is very reasonable. I've always wanted to try them. The only thing that has stood in the way has been the prospect of building a quality cabinet -- that (no disrespect to anyone) doesn't look like a DIY cabinet! I have been aware of several quality cabinet builders and sources -- two were gratefullly added to the Audio Nirvana website several months ago after they decided to stop building cabinets; Zalytron makes excellent quality cabinets for their numerous speaker kit combinations, a little spendy compared to Parts-Express and Madisound, but you get what you pay for, they have thicker front baffles, side and backwalls, etc.; P-E and Madisound both have a nice selection of good quality cabinets in various sizes and finishes, P-E, especially offers piano-black, as well as, several veneers that will fit in most decors.

I wanted to comment briefly on your mention of the Juicy Music closure due to retirement. I was in the restaurant business for years. I'm retired now, but I read reviews and keep up especially with quality small restaurants, tea rooms, pie shops, etc... you know, the really nice little entrepreneur businesses you find here and there that have a faithful, dedicated, sometimes bordering on fanatical customer base. But because they are individually created and operated, eventually they close. What really surprises me is when I read about such closures in the newspapers or hear about them first hand, the owner just closes shop and that's that. The homey decorations are taken home, the rest is tossed in the dumpster; there is little or no value in used restaurant equipment.

Loyal customers, many who have eaten there for years are saddened, left out in the cold. You read their testimonials.

What I always wonder about is simply this... if you're retiring, the business is successful and you're not selling, just closing shop... why not give the business to someone? Or sell it at a bargain price to someone new who wants to get into the business? If you just close up shop you're not making any profit except for, perhaps unloading some inventory. There are so many quality people who are involved in and interested in audio (or restaurants, for example) who would love an opportunity. My wife and I bought our first restaurant that way. We built it up and made it very successful and sold it for a nice profit that bought our house, Land Cruiser and sent me to graduate school. The ladies who owned the place just announced one night they were closing, taking their recipes and plants, a few plates, etc., and going home. There is little to made in selling used restaurant equipment, but they said it would pay for their UHaul. We bought the place that same night sitting there over a pie and coffee... with no restaurant experience. "How much do you want?" "We don't know... we haven't thought about selling... it's just a neighborhood restaurant. We're just retiring and were going to close up and take everything home. How much can you offer us?" "I don't know... honey, how much can we afford? (I was in graduate school and we were both working part time to make ends meet. Fortunately, after college I got a job as a journalist covering the United Nations, but primarily as a photo researcher... I was sent to New York to research photos, buy photos, give photo assignments and whenever possible cover news events on the East Coast and occassionally cover Washington, and I had saved some money, not a lot, but enough to get back to California, get married and go back to school.)" "We only have $5,000 available right now. We can come up with $10,000 at the most. Larry has to pay tuition for next semester. USC is very expensive." "We'll take it... are you sure you can afford it... we were not planning on selling and making money... how about $5,000? You'll need the other $5,000 to get your permits, buy stuff, print menus, etc. You'll be surprised how expensive everything is and how quickly your money goes."

In the past year, I've read about several speaker businesses closing shop, as well as, smaller audio shops. In every instance they just close up shop, lock the doors and go home. In a couple of instances the brief articles mentioned they had sold their inventory to some other business or were trying to unload it. Most often they had the proverbial "going out of business sale" and unloaded products at a bargain... giving us an idea how much profit is built into some of these audio products.... "Regularly $400 - $500.... at cost while they last... no returns.. $79 or $139... whatever!" Each time I just scratch my head and ask... "Why in the world didn't they just sell the business to someone... the employees... a regular customer who appreciated the business... or advertise it to anyone? There are audiophiles everywhere who would love to own this business... I would love to own it... ""Um, honey... I..." "NO! You're retired. I know what you're going to say... No! We're going to travel..."

I just read of popular small town pie shop closing. It's been there for 30 years. Several employees have been there for years. Many customers were brought there by their Moms and Dads... now they bring their children there. Everybody loved the place. No one wanted to see it closed. It was an institution in the small town. People came from all around. The lady said she was just going to take a few personal items and go home. She sold the ovens and mixers to a used restaurant supply place for next to nothing... restaurant supply is a racket, they get you coming and going. But it's a necessary racket, like used cars and mobile homes.

If nothing else, why not just give the audio business to someone and give them an opportunity to get started... or sell it to employees who know the business and let them keep servicing their loyal customers? I asked someone once about this and he said, "It never entered my mind to sell it my employees or anyone. It's been my hobby and that turned into a business and I've enjoyed it... it's a lot better than working for someone else. I'm retiring. I never thought about selling it."

Mensch, Mar 26, 2009
Ask a Question