Martin Colloms' Naim CDS3 review

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Oct 10, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I already mentioned it in another thread but here are two quotes that had me laughing my head off:

(talking about the new Burndy lead for the CDS3):
    "Accordingly I ran the CDS2 for a while and then substituted the cable 'upgrade'. This resulted in an impressive gain in performance, a clear 10% ...... This is a definite turbo upgrade for the outgoing model, and at quite moderate cost ( £265 :eek: )"

Then later:
    "Previous references I'd owned and reviewed have scored in the region of 50 points on my scale.... Naim's new CDS3 soared to a straight 80 for a DIN connection and a very close 75 points using the RCA terminations. Allowing both output terminals to engage simultaneously resulted in a penalty for both of about 3-4 marks - intriguing, but in agreement with Naim's advice."

Come on! How is anyone supposed to take this guy seriously when he thinks he can make quantative judgements like "10% better" or "lost 3-4 points" about hifi? :rolleyes: He doesn't even say how he awards points so presumably it's completely arbitrary, just a subjective number plucked out of thin air.

His "points scale" doesn't seem to be bounded either. If the best player he'd heard before the CDS3 was getting 50 points and then he can suddenly award the CDS3 75-80 points (depending on connection type used of course ;) ) that's just absurd.

If you must award points with such fine granularity then the only reasonably way to do it is to start with an absolute maximum of, say, 100 which is then subdivided into, for example, 10 groups 10 points for various criteria like dynamics, soundstage, transparency etc. Score each criteria and then you have your total. I still wouldn't like it but at least there'd be some method to it.

Of course doing it like that would leave reviewers with a problem because they then couldn't keep claiming that each bit of kit was "so much better" than the last without either running out of points to award or "downgrading" previous scores, and that wouldn't be much good for their advertising revenue ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 10, 2003
  2. michaelab

merlin

Actually Michael,

what made me laugh was the poorer results he got when using it in direct sunlight:D I mean he gives the player top marks, declares it a world class reference, and gets his own parking space and warehouse pass at salisbury HQ, and then fails to mark it down because there is no mention of the fact that it can only really play music in a blacked out room during the hours of darkness:rolleyes:

merlin, Oct 10, 2003
  3. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

erm, is that for real?
    you telling me there is a CDp that cant handle being in sunlight?

penance, Oct 10, 2003
  4. michaelab

merlin

Yep Penance it's true,

Glass lid lets in too much light. I would have said that was a major oversight, but hey it's Naim and just look at the ads;)

merlin, Oct 10, 2003
  5. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

oversight being the understatement eh!

penance, Oct 10, 2003
  6. michaelab

Marco

Has anyone here met Martin Colloms? I've met him a couple of times at shows, and he's a bit of a tosser. The only reviewer I rate is Paul Messenger.

Marco.

Marco, Oct 10, 2003
  7. michaelab

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Merlin, you as well as the reviewer are talking bollocks.

The glass is practically black and I certainly can detect no differences whatsoever when something is on the glass or not, in other words utter tripe.

I am quite confident that I am not alone, and would have thought you of all people would not fall for such obvious 'filling out a review' crap.

5% penelty for light polution, jesus :rolleyes:

garyi, Oct 10, 2003
  8. michaelab

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yep - ANY player that has a clear light path to the CD replay area will be compromised by the light entering - Jimmy Hughes noticed a large improvement when be covered up a little (approx 1cm x 0.5cm) clear window on a Pioneer Stable Platter CDP... In later models the window was removed.

Also, apparently a very high end top loading CDP would jump when people took flash photos of it... My Rega Planet is also top loading with a LARGE area exposed to direct sunlight - often wandered how it would sound if I painted the perspex lid with that green pen "lobster sperm" ;)

domfjbrown, Oct 10, 2003
  9. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

merlin - I actually agree with garyi on this one :eek: I very much doubt that the "light" thing is for real. You can't be criticising the reviewer on the one hand and then using his findings to slag off Naim on the other :rolleyes:

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 10, 2003
  10. michaelab

Sorry Mike, I am a bit narked. I just got a bill from Barnet Council for contraveaning a bus lane.

If its where i think it is its two lanes, one to turn right only and the other is where the bus lane runs out about 2 metres before the lights, to not piss many cars off who want to turn right you have to get in too carry straight on, I think I touched the bus lane for 3 metres and I am not happy the f**kers.

Although the light in the CD thing is as I say utter tripe!

garyi, Oct 10, 2003
  11. michaelab

Dom, don't. this is typical hifi Vodoo that reviewers will use to populirise their writing, give them a bit of 'je ne se que' and generally place them selves above mere mortals who buy the magazines.

this is up there with bi-wiring and turning your speakers to face the wall. :rolleyes:

garyi, Oct 10, 2003
  12. michaelab

Lt Cdr Data om

got to say, the reviewers who have similar likes/dislikes to my own were messenger and alvin gold, tho I am aware the latter some dont like. Its really weird how close the tastes of those two are to my own...
    Messenger is an interesting kettle of fish...for one who likes big loud speakers he does keep pretty balanced in his speaker reviews...

dont like colloms' writing much...I think he is a perfectionist, but some of the writing is intentionally formal, unneccessarily flowery and embellished, hard to follow, drawn out and plain dull...

aside from the fact, that of his points system, which can't account for his tastes changing or ears, you can really only tell side by side...methinks...

I think some writers do have an elitism complex who like to think they are above us mortals...certainly colon and jmh do..the crap the latter has written beggers belief..

anyone ever read eric braithwaites reviews...they were fun...come back eric, all is forgiven...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2003
    Lt Cdr Data, Oct 10, 2003
  13. michaelab

Robbo

I must immediately go out and buy a CDS3 as it's obviously so much better than anything else out there. Well 30 points better anyway, whatever that means:rolleyes:

Robbo, Oct 10, 2003
  14. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Points make prizes. What do points make? PRIZES!

Ahh, Brucie. Such a shame he's never on the telly nowadays.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 10, 2003
  15. michaelab

Robbo

You get nothing for a pair - NOT IN THIS GAME

Robbo, Oct 10, 2003
  16. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Good then, Marco I'd give him a ring and ask him what wasted his naim player about 2 weeks then :D his face was picture by all accounts :)

wadia-miester, Oct 10, 2003
  17. michaelab

Paul Duerden

Sorry I just had a vision of Mr. Messenger reading this and getting a warm glow in the cockles of his heart.

"I am Marco's favourite reviewer, Eureka! it was all worthwhile."

Paul Duerden, Oct 10, 2003
  18. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Paul, a classic sir if I may be so bold :) It's enough to ensure nightmares for years :D

wadia-miester, Oct 10, 2003
  19. michaelab

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

When I'm round at Mr Messenger's and he's reviewing the speakers, should I mention this, Tone?

7_V, Oct 10, 2003
Ask a Question