MC Cartridge Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by chavly40, Feb 9, 2007.

1. chavly40

chavly40

Hello

I have once again discovered the joys of vinyl records, but I am in need of some advice. I have a Dunlop Systemdek IIX turntable, Linn Basik Plus tonearm and Audio Technica AT-F5 MC cartridge. Although these items are many years old, they have only been used lightly. Sound is still as good as I remember it when bought in the late 80's. However, I am concerned I need to replace the AT-F5 cartridge soon due to its age.

I am happy to keep the turntable and tonearm, but I would like to know what cartridge to buy to replace the AT-F5. I am aware of the need to audition 2 or 3 replacement cartridges before I purchase, but I need a 'starting' point.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks

Dave

chavly40, Feb 9, 2007
  2. chavly40

McLogan

If you liked the AT F5 you will enjoy the AT OC9 ML II even better. Except that the Linn Basic arm may not be up to bringing out the best in this cartridge. I found that even a Rega RB300 was not adequate.

McLogan, Feb 10, 2007
  3. chavly40

chavly40

Hi McLogan

Thanks for your input - as long as it sounds as good as the AT-F5 in the Linn Basik Plus Tonearm, I am not concerned about it not being able to bring out the best in the cartridge. It gives me somewhere to start.

Cheers

chavly40, Feb 10, 2007
  4. chavly40

andi

Hi Dave,

I had a similar thing last year. Had an old Linn k18 that was past its best. Initially i went for an Ortofon 540(MM) but this did not satisfy. Dealer was very good about it and upgraded it to a Dynavector 10x5(high output MC). An excellent cartridge imo

andi, Feb 10, 2007
  5. chavly40

RobHolt Moderator

The OC9 will work ok in the Basik+ and bring greater refinement and detail over the F5. The arm will stunt absolute clarity, dynamics and resolution but it's a workable combination.

If the amp can take MM cartridges you could consider one of the Denon high output MCs. A Denon 110/160 would sound excellent and give you change from £100.

RobHolt, Feb 10, 2007
  6. chavly40

chavly40

Thanks to all that have submitted their recommendations. I have a good selection of catridges to check out. I must add at this point that although my amp can handle the low level output of a MC cartridge on its own (its a Sony STR-DB930), I *do* use a pair of Ortofon T5 step-up transformers. These little beauties I purchased at the same time I bought and used a Linn Trak MC cartridge. Hopefully, this won't change your recommendations.

Dave

chavly40, Feb 11, 2007
  7. chavly40

anon_bb Honey Badger

ortofon kontrapunkt b

anon_bb, Feb 11, 2007
  8. chavly40

RobHolt Moderator

The little T5 in-line transformers are fine for use with inexpensive MCs but IMHO you'd be wasting an OC9ML into those. Sell them - you'll get about £50 on ebay which is more than they are worth - and buy a Denon DL110 which will run straight into your MM nput.

If you wan't to know just how good the £70 Denon sounds, just ask for opinions from users on here and PFM.

RobHolt, Feb 11, 2007
  9. chavly40

Paul Ashworth SP10 Aficionado

If you like the Audio Technica sound, you could try an AT-33PTG from Audiocubes:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/...restige_MC_Stereo_Cartridge.html?currency=GBP

I've got one on my Orbe/SME V and it's a fantastic cartridge for the money. It gets very close to my Lyra Argo i for a fraction of the price and in my opinion is much better than an OC-9. The 110 is quite nice but as far as Denons are concerned I prefer the likes of the 103R, which is another 'giant-killer' in my opinion.

------------------------
    Paul

Paul Ashworth, Feb 11, 2007
  10. chavly40

chavly40

I take it the Linn Basik Plus tonearm will be up to the job if I partner it with the AT-33PTG??

Also, I have had someone mention the Ortofon Tango, Samba and Salsa cartridges. What are peoples opinions on these 3 cartridges?

Many thanks

chavly40, Feb 12, 2007
  11. chavly40

Gromit Buffet-blower

It's ****ing marvellous.

There you go. ;)

Gromit, Feb 12, 2007
  12. chavly40

Paul Ashworth SP10 Aficionado

Chavly,

You should get away with it on the Basik Plus, although something like an RB300 would be better. The AT-33PTG is phenomenally good for the money and is Audio Technica's 'giant killer' equivalent to Denon's various 103s, although I'm not saying they have the same sonic characteristics - far from it. The £210 AT-33PTG (when ordered from Audiocubes) is to all intents and purposes an £800 cartridge, and in such company holds its own with (and in some areas betters) my Lyra Argo (i). Certain cartridges available only outside of the UK are 'best kept secrets' and the AT-33PTG is one of them. In Japan discerning audiophiles on a budget use 33PTGs, we get the OC-9 ;)

The new budget Ortofons you mention are not bad, but at the lower end of the range (Tango) I'd far rather have the likes of a Denon DL-110, at £25 less, and at the top of the range (Salsa-£200) the Denon DL-103R or AT-33PTG eats it alive.

------------------------
    Paul

Paul Ashworth, Feb 13, 2007
  13. chavly40

Papa Lazarou

The Ortofon Rondo range is very competitive. I recently heard the Rondo Red and it was comparable to a Kontrapunkt B i used previously.

You could import a Shelter 501 mk2 from a seller on Audiogon and take advantage of the weak Dollar. A great cartidge.

Papa Lazarou, Feb 14, 2007
  14. chavly40

Gaffer74

If you can get hold of the older (discontinued) ortofon MC series, they're great.

Plus, if you can get hold 'em, they'll be cheap :D

Gaffer74, Feb 14, 2007
Ask a Question