mc transformers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

Anyone any xp with these, some of the older ones, like denons, and the newer ones, which are any good?, I have been told to steer clear from Audio Innovatinons, so any others please give me your findings...thanks

Lt Cdr Data, Mar 29, 2004
  2. Lt Cdr Data

joel Shaman of Signals

I have a Denon transformer, but now have to use a dedicated phono stage.
    To be honest, you would be better off getting hold of a decent phono stage. In fact I suggest spending as much money as you can (and possibly more) on getting a really good phono stage - the differences are not small IME.

joel, Mar 30, 2004
  3. Lt Cdr Data

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

If you have a very nice phono stage already, and are looking for a means of using a moving coil..

Id point you towards the E.A.R MC3 step up currently being sold second hand at Definitive Audio Notts.

About 300 used. Around 700 new?

This Step up can be set for varying loads, and is the MC stage from E.A.R.'s top pre-amps.

If you dont want to spend that, try the emporium for a step-up.

thats what Id do at any rate.

bottleneck, Mar 30, 2004
  4. Lt Cdr Data

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I use a step up tranny from Tim de P, too. It seems very good, although careful placement of the tranny and its ICs is necessary to avoid hum.

7_V, Mar 30, 2004
  5. Lt Cdr Data

joel Shaman of Signals

Proper grounding also makes a huge difference. Basically any good phono stage will also have a transformer inside, too and which may be in a separate power supply. The Denon (for example) is basically a transformer with in and outs and needs to be kept as far away from other electronics as possible IME...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2004
    joel, Mar 31, 2004
  6. Lt Cdr Data

Goomer

Before getting my current amps(with a built in MC stage) I was using an Ortofon t20mkII and had similar findings to Joel - the little Ortofon needed to be as far away from other electronics as possible, or it had a tendency to hum. Great thing, though, and if you can find one for a sensible price I'd recommend it.

Hope that helps,

Goomer.

Goomer, Mar 31, 2004
Ask a Question