MC2 Audio. Any users or experiences?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by vincula, Mar 21, 2011.

1. vincula

vincula

Hi guys,

A friend of mine's considering buying a pair of these:

http://www.mc2-audio.co.uk/mc750/

He wants to bi-amplify his huge JBL 4430 with them. AFAIK MC2's well-respected within the prof' audio world, but what about using them in home enviroments? Any users or experiences?

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Mar 21, 2011
  2. vincula

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

myea,nothing special,mid range pa amp,although they seem popular in hifi circles, I'll stick with lab gruppen fp10000 q's thanks

themadhippy, Mar 22, 2011
  3. vincula

Tenson Moderator

Seem like well built amps to me, but I would not want an amp with a fan in my home because of the noise.

I wonder if he really needs that kind of power for a home system? JBL are usually quite sensitive.

If it were me and I wanted massive power I think I'd mono-block the bass with Alesis RA500 amps (500watts each mono-block mode) and get a Cambridge Audio Azur 840W for the higher range. If you have the cash then it would be nice to run a CA 840W bridged on each bass section. Three of them in total then. They are superb amps at the cutting edge as you can expect when designed by Doug Self and cost about the same as the MC2.

Tenson, Mar 22, 2011
  4. vincula

Haselsh1 Shaun H

I have used pro audio amplifiers in a domestic environment before because of their big, gutsy power but ultimately, they just sound too coarse and rough for me. The best I ever used was a Samson Servo 550 which was just so effortless in the bass through Castle Harlech MkI speakers. I'll never forget the sound of India Arie singing 'Brown Skin' through that bloody amp. Truly gorgeous.

Haselsh1, Mar 23, 2011
  5. vincula

Smithy

My MC2 650 doesnt sound coarse and rough ,I would be surprised if it wasnt bettered by £5000 of labgruppen but for £350 (used)I am not too fussed. Even in a smallish room fan noise isnt an issue for me.

Smithy, Mar 23, 2011
  6. vincula

RobsterD

just got a MC450 to power some BD15 bass drivers in my horns.
    Chose in preference to some nice HiFi amps Adcom,Parasound etc.
    Look forward to delivery to test out a Trinnov ST2 active crossover config courtesy of Keith@Purite.

RobsterD, Mar 23, 2011
  7. vincula

vincula

Thanks a helluvalot for the feedback, mates. I'm learning a lot here, clicking around and checking out all those brands.

Keep it coming:D! I'll pass it on.

Regards,

Vincula

PS. Unfortunately I'm myself a valve nostalgic sorry sod. Though I love when my friends choose to go down the gutsy road, so that I can jump around myself in their living rooms after a couple of pints. Just for a short while, it's even exciting :MILD:

vincula, Mar 24, 2011
  8. vincula

cooky1257

FWIW I use an MC1250 and MC750 on bass/mid and hf duties.
    They are excellent amps, smooth mid and airy top, bass grip, depth, clarity and sheer drive that pisses all over most, owned in pref to Chord, Bryston and Naim 250's.
    There was a great thread on here a few years ago about these amps.
    They have Klark Tecknik pedigree, are usually partnered with XTA signal processing in the pro world so top end..very top end.

The fans can annoy some in a home environment but I live happily with mine.

cooky1257, Apr 1, 2011
Ask a Question