Meadowlark Kestrel Hotrods

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Sep 4, 2003.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Well, after my speaker quandary a few weeks ago, I went for that self same pair of meadowlark Kestrel Hot Rods that was pointed out in the thread.

They duly arrived last saturday. Unfortunately, it rapidly became apparent that there was something up, and it turned out that one tweeter was distorting at higher volume levels. Also, the spikes were (are) missing. A quick call to JJ, and a new tweeter was in the post, and spikes will be as soon as they arrive from the US (all at no extra cost above the agreed price for the speakers.

The tweeter arrived in the post today, and after a little effort (and a call to WM), I managed to get the old one one out and put the new one in. So now the speakers are up to strength other than the spikes (so blu tak and pennies are doing the duty for now)...

First thing to say is that the speakers are far from run in. JJ didn't give me a figure, but they'd been run for rather less than 20 hours he was sure. Knowing that meadowlarks take a good 400 hours or so to run in, I know that this means that things will change somewhat. However, there are some things apparent.

The balance of the speakers is quite different to my previous speakers (B&W DM602). The 602s were more forward in the mid range. The kestrels go deeper (as you'd expect), and also satisfyingly fuller in the bass. The kestrels start and stop more quickly than the 602s (and the 602s were better than other speakers that I auditioned way back when in 1996, including TDL RTL 2, Mission 733, Mission 751).

Still more to come I think. There's an interesting upshot of getting these speakers though. The CD player retailed for around £800, and I've done some upgrades in it. The speakers retailed for £1500. The interconnect retails around £200. However, the amp retailed at a mere £300, and I got it new for £200, and still have the FFRC (for now, that's next on the list). I am suprised how (apparently) well the amp copes with the speakers, but of course that's the next box to come under scrutiny (assuming that the CD player doesn't choose to die).

So far, and especially now the tweeter is sorted, I'm very pleased. With the improvements that running in properly will bring, I should be happy for a while now. Until I can afford speaker cable and a new power amp and get my preamp built, of course....

I-S, Sep 4, 2003
  2. I-S

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

So will you be getting the mullet trimmed?

garyi, Sep 4, 2003
  3. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Garyi, about the same time that the cds3 sounds good :rolleyes: so maybe never really :D .
    JJ's rough estimate is usually about a days worth, so just leave em on for a 3 or weeks should surfice I feel.
    I'm off for a bevvy boys later WM

wadia-miester, Sep 4, 2003
  4. I-S

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Tony,

thanks for a most enjoyable evening tonight, and the loan of your liberator/enterprise.

Its a bit late tonight, but I'll give them a spin over the weekend. :)

NB
    I finally got £411 for the ebay item, so its Orbe ahoy for meeeeee yaaayyy! (I made £11 profit, cant believe it :D)

Chris

bottleneck, Sep 4, 2003
  5. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Arh, Chris ebay can be a wonderful place, thanks for dropping by, good to have a long chat and listen. Tone

wadia-miester, Sep 4, 2003
  6. I-S

I put the B&Ws back into the system last night because I was demoing them to someone this morning (who bought them).

My impression was "hmmm..." The meadowlarks produce more detail, more depth and all in a more musical manner. Even without running in properly , they're a more enjoyable listen, but there is still proper set up to be done (I'll have to get more granite...) with spikes and positioning.

I-S, Sep 6, 2003
  7. I-S

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

a couple of paving slabs (98p from B&Q) and a can of plasticote black spray paint is a well cheap alternative if budgets are tight...not as attractive as granite though, Id be the first to admit.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Sep 6, 2003
  8. I-S

I have a friendly, local source of granite offcuts... Three of the four shelves of my rack were £15 all together.

I-S, Sep 6, 2003
  9. I-S

condyk

Cheap granite!!! You haven't been wandering around graveyards late at night have you?:JOEL: :JOEL:

Dave

condyk, Sep 7, 2003
Ask a Question