mercedes v volvo loadluggers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by midlifecrisis, May 15, 2007.

1. midlifecrisis

Will The Lucky One

Integra Type R DC5? Integra DC2 (in SiR and Type R flavours)? Accord Type R? Civic Jordan? Civic Type R? CRX Vtec?

Depends on the Honda IMHO...certainly their 'average' models are dull and workmanlike, more so if you consider the previous generation models, but the above are rated as distinctly above average in terms of handling and performance, and are more appealing given their lower running costs compared to more prestige brands. They do lack that certain prestige mind you, appealing more to the playstation generation than the golf club crowd.

Will, May 16, 2007
  2. midlifecrisis

greg Its a G thing

Trouble with the Merc if 3 - 4 years old - it may well spend a fair bit of time being fixed. Not so for more recent builds as I understand it as MB have got serious about quality once again.

greg, May 17, 2007
  3. midlifecrisis

greg Its a G thing

Me neither. Just no.

greg, May 17, 2007
  4. midlifecrisis

T-bone Sanchez

Bet he's glad he asked!! I do think you need to spend time with a merc to appreciate the long-term qualities, the E-Class will give years of happy motoring.

T-bone Sanchez, May 17, 2007
  5. midlifecrisis

DavidF

Ive never rtaed this image concept.....if a car goes well thats good enough for me.

Beleive me, if i had the dosh I'd have a (6 cyl) bmw, image or no image.

never will have though.

DavidF, May 17, 2007
  6. midlifecrisis

T-bone Sanchez

This is a story thats been blown out of proportion IMO. Its true that quality isnt what it was but Merc, like many a company, has to produce a car at a price. Like I said in my original post, I spent my formative years working for a merc dealership and have sold many cars. The biggest problems related to the electronics. Merc were never big on 'gadgets' on their lower-model cars so going all out on the electronics front did cause problems. Gearboxes can cause trouble, especially on the smaller, 4 cyl non-charged engines, dont know why just did. BUT, hand on heart I can reel-off car after car that came to us with mega-miles that only required servicing.

No doubt the star has been tarnished but I do think alot of it is the british mentality of loving to knock those at the top.

7. midlifecrisis

Robbo

Wrong again!

The 2007 JD Power survey has A, C, E, SLK and CLK Mercedes above every BMW model apart from the 3 series, which has a marginally better rating (1%) than the A, C and E Class.

http://www.whatcar.com/NonCar/1057740480.jpg

and overall MB are tied with BMW in 11th place

http://www.whatcar.com/NonCar/105774033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
    Robbo, May 17, 2007
  8. midlifecrisis

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

All of which were totally blown out of the water by honda and lexus/toyota in that same survey... Maybe it doesn't drive quite as sharply, but if "not exciting" means not having the excitement of wondering if it's going to carry on working, I'll live with that "boredom" so I can get on with more interesting aspects of my life.

I-S, May 17, 2007
  9. midlifecrisis

greg Its a G thing

The story I'm recounting is just that - quality hasn't been what it was - for a while. It seems they became obsessed to produce sportier cars to counter the endless argument that BMW produced better drivers cars. I think to a large extent they succeeded but at the expense of production standards.

Audi too have had real if not worse trouble regards how the handling of their cars is reported by the press, though their build quality is very strong.

As I understand it MB have invested enormous time and effort to reverse the quality issues and reports suggest they have really succeeded. The new C class looks a very good package, perhaps for once pipping the 3 series.

greg, May 17, 2007
  10. midlifecrisis

greg Its a G thing

I have no doubt you're right. The E class estate would be my pick in context of this thread, but ideally not one 3 or 4 years old.

greg, May 17, 2007
  11. midlifecrisis

greg Its a G thing

Can I just clarify I didn't suggest MB are trashy. :)

greg, May 17, 2007
  12. midlifecrisis

Robbo

Yes, but does anyone actually covet those cars higher up the list?

Robbo, May 17, 2007
  13. midlifecrisis

greg Its a G thing

That's the crux. Many people will choose a car based purely on practical factors - cost of ownership, reliability, etc. (yawn).

Others aspire to a specific brand or model regardless. Maybe a car they lusted after as a kid or something which motivates them to work harder. This latter perspective is something the likes of Honda and Skoda struggle with. Lexus, are getting there, no doubt. The new Lexus LS is a superbly desirable car - above a S class in appeal IMO.

I personally don't really aspire to any brand. I just don't see it has any meaning and certainly don't see owning a certain car proves anything to anyone. I have always been very interested in automotive design and can appreciate a good car, especially the aesthetics. The Honda Accord is a fantastic product, but it just doesn't move me in any way whatsoever. Any more than a Honda lawnmower might (maybe even less).

greg, May 17, 2007
  14. midlifecrisis

Dev Moderator

Neither do I. I'd be happy with any German make:D, specifically any out of Alpina, AMG, Audi, BMW, DaimlerBenz, Porsche or VW. I also like a couple of Italian ones.

Dev, May 17, 2007
  15. midlifecrisis

harrygrey382

E320CDi, no brainer I reckon. Economical, goes like buggery, big (and can have 7 seats) comfortable, reliable, well over twice the torque of a land rover (190bhp, 470 Nm).

harrygrey382, May 17, 2007
  16. midlifecrisis

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Don't get me wrong, my choice was made on a variety of factors. If money were no object, my wagon of choice would probably be an E63 (or a 456 Venice). However, back in the real world where cost is a factor, the accord is a very competitive car. It's very refined, very well built, the boot is huge and very low-floored, and with a 54 plate with 36k on it going for around £12k is great value for money. All I said was that it would be my choice of what is out there with all things considered around my lifestyle. Fact is though that I can't afford to replace my car at all.

I-S, May 17, 2007
  17. midlifecrisis

lordsummit moderate mod

And by Skoda!!!

lordsummit, May 17, 2007
  18. midlifecrisis

DavidF

..regretably (for British manu's) I have to report that (IME) Honda lawn mowers are pretty good........:D

DavidF, May 17, 2007
  19. midlifecrisis

DavidF

...is there really a bad car out there.......? ;)

I wouldn't mind any of them!!

DavidF, May 17, 2007
  20. midlifecrisis

T-bone Sanchez

I've got it in my head that the E320CDi is 220bhp, could be wrong its been a few years since I sold 'em. Either way, I use to have some fun driving them! :JPS:

Ask a Question