Mercury Music Prize...

Discussion in 'General Music' started by ilockyer, Jul 22, 2003.

1. ilockyer

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

So, the nominees are in and chances are the prize of £60grand or whatever it is will go to a band who won't even notice it. I'll be very surprised if Coldplay or Radiohead don't win it. Anyway, here's the list of nominees and the odds on them winning, courtesy of the NME site.

Personally, I'd like to see Eliza Carthy get it, but it won't happen.

4/1: Coldplay 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head'/Radiohead 'Hail To The Thief'
    6/1: The Darkness 'Permission To Land'/Dizzee Rascal 'Boy In Da Corner/The Thrills 'So Much For The City'
    8/1: Athlete 'Vehicles & Animals'/Terri Walker 'Untitled'
    10/1: Floetry 'Floetic'/Soweto Kinch 'Conversations With The Unseen'
    12/1: Martina Topley-Bird 'Quixotic'/Eliza Carthy 'Angelicana'/Lemon Jelly 'Lost Horizons'

ilockyer, Jul 22, 2003
  2. ilockyer

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Hmm - you're probably right - Radiohead's "Music to commit suicide by" will easily walk it - perhaps they should have used Coldplay's album cover and put some liberal red blood on it to maximise the effect... I actually do like the new Radiohead - just yanking your chains dudes!

The Lemon Jelly album is ace, and Eliza Carthy deserves to win 'cos although she ain't the thinnest bird around, she has curves in all the right places, is infinitely doable, and can play the fiddle like a madwoman - pure class!

domfjbrown, Jul 22, 2003
  3. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Good to see musical talent rates so highly there ;)

Big fan of HTTT. And that will probably win it.
    Coldplay are being killed by over exposure! I like MOst of their new releases for the first day or two, then it's just shoved in your face too much.

Ath;etes album is good, one of the better *indie* albums i've heard in a while. And have liked the leMOn jelly stuff i've heard.

MOst of the others i've heard of their are pretty average and passive IMO.

Give it to Martina! top voice, and top(ley) name!

MO!, Jul 22, 2003
  4. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

Martina Topley Bird was great singing Tricky's songs. Haven't heard her new record, is it any good?

The rest seem a bit of a shower. I'd give it to the Darkness, purely because they made me laugh out loud when I saw them on Later a few weeks ago.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 22, 2003
  5. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've only heard a bit of Martina's album through one of them listening posts in a shop while waiting for someone to turn up. Sounded good, hints of Tricky throughout. Think will appeal to MOst Tricky fans.

Oh, and BTW! I think the darkness are shite! :)

MO!, Jul 22, 2003
  6. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

Agreed. But they're very funny.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 22, 2003
  7. ilockyer

ram Not Registered

the favourite never wins the Mercury prize so you can discount all the 4-1's straight away.

I'd put my money on The Thrills. Its a good album, they've got the right sort of image and they are in a similar position to the types of bands that has won it in the past.
    ________
    FORD CUSTOM 500 HISTORY

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
    ram, Jul 22, 2003
  8. ilockyer

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

So is that her who sings on Suffocated Love then? Listened to that earlier today on a chill compilation I'd put together and she's got a fantastic voice - if that's her I might well have to get the album.

The Thrills can suck my **** though - I'd have been able to hear them if I could have copied their album - tough 'cos I'm not buying something I haven't heard... Mind you - would love to know how they defeated the digital feed between CD and MD...

domfjbrown, Jul 22, 2003
  9. ilockyer

Fear not, they haven't been able to defeat the traditional CD > Cassette copying... so a tape will be hitting the post to you tomorrow.

Still haven't heard Eliza Carthy's latest album yet though, Angels & Cigarettes is the latest I have, if I can ever find it again!

ilockyer, Jul 22, 2003
  10. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Who???

MO

MO!, Sep 10, 2003
  11. ilockyer

Dunno, not really into this garage stuff. I'm sure it'll do his sales the power of good and the cheque probably will be a help, I won't be getting it though. If Radiohead or Coldplay had won, that £20k prizemoney would've been just back pocket change...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2003
    ilockyer, Sep 10, 2003
Ask a Question