Mercury Prize

Discussion in 'General Music' started by MO!, Sep 11, 2005.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

This years event seems to have passed without mention.

This years nominees were.....

# Antony and the Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
    # Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    # Coldplay - X&Y
    # The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike
    # Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
    # Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
    # KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope
    # The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers
    # Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
    # MIA - Arular
    # Polar Bear - Held on the Tips of Fingers
    # Seth Lakeman - Kitty Jay Did

And the winner was Antony and the Johnsons!

I've been searching the forum, having thught there'd been a thread about this album before, but could only find a few mentions on the currently spinning thread.

So, a worthy winner?

I've had the album for a while now but to be honest, don't think i've played it more than 10 times. There's some great stuff on there, and the single Hope there's someone, is something special, but I'm still not convinced as a whole album. There's definitely something there, but it fails to keep my attention for the whole way through.

It definitely deserves recognition though.

What about the others?

I think the Bloc Party album stands out from the majority of indie rock. I was hoping for a bit MOre from the album, but they're still one of the best new acts around IMO

Kaiser Chiefs... hmmm..... I'm hearing this album (or tracks from it), everywhere. And it's growing on me. Good fun.

The new coldplay album, seems MOre of the same. I've given up on not liking then :) It's as simple as stop thinking that just because they're the biggest, don't expect them to be the best. There's some good tunes on here. Just don't expect them to be pushing the envelope.

Seth Lakeman, seemed interesting. Wouldn't mind hearing the album, but don't think it'd be that great.

Polar Bear were great and I'll be picking their album up for sure. I've been seeing a few bands doing similar things live over the last year or two, and I'd imagine they'd be great fun live too.

I was also quite suprised by KT Tunstall. The people who i've heard mention her don't tend to share much of my musical likes. I'd like to hear MOre. I like the use of vocal layering, and think it's great seeing that done live. I seen a (very drunk) Rose Kemp (www.rosekemp.co.uk) playing locally a little while back and she did a similar thing. Singing a line, and sampling it live, then having it repeat back while she sang over the top of it. She ended up with quite a few vocal layers on the go and it was great stuff.

Didn't really give any of the others much attention.

So, of those which I've heard the albums, Antony and the Johnsons were deserved winners IMO. And there's a couple of others there which I'd like to hear MOre of, especially Polar Bear.

Thoughts?

MO!, Sep 11, 2005
  2. MO!

Matt F

Can't say I've heard many of them but I think KT Tunstall's album is terrific - took me a few spins to get to like it and then it just got better and better. It got to a point where as soon as it finished I'd just put it on again - and I haven't felt the need to do this with an album for years.

A definite star in the making - fine songs, great lyrics. Seeing her live in Bristol in October.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 11, 2005
  3. MO!

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

This was the only one that appealed to me, Seth stood out as someone who had talent amongst a lot of indie dross IMO.

I've ordered a copy, will let you know what its like.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Sep 11, 2005
  4. MO!

Anex Thermionic

I bought I am a bird now on friday when all the trains out of Kings X were delayed just cuz HMV and Virgin were reported as being annoyed that they won. Not listened yet though, been listening to the Masters of House LPs by Masters at Work :) . Personally I'm glad they won, Polar Bear etc. are the 'token' 'other acts' which probably don't really stand a chance of winning, the rest are obvious choices that don't need any more exposure, they have their own TV ads etc. Certainly glad Kaisers didn't win, nothing against them but its not like they possibly need any more exposure. I find Bloc Party a real bore other than the shoe-gazery track they did, sounds a bit like Kevin Shields type stuff.
    Cold Play shouldn't even be on the list, I thought they were meant to be new artists?!
    I don't mind the rest but equally don't find them massively exciting from what I've heard so far, so really don't care either way whether they win or not.

Anex, Sep 11, 2005
  5. MO!

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I wanted the Kiesier's to win, this band are really growing on me now and I think in many ways they are better than Bloc Party. I do like BP though.

I've heared a bit of the Maximo Park album, these goerdies are one to watch, I think they may become quite big.

amazingtrade, Sep 12, 2005
  6. MO!

locky

I ordered 'I Am A Bird Now' after hearing a track on Radio 2. Didn't like it at all, so now it's on e-bay. It just seemed to be too full of personal torment and gender confusion for my liking.

locky, Sep 13, 2005
  7. MO!

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

If you liked the Polar Bear you'll probably like Trevor Warren's new album, "Disassembler" on 33Jazz Records.. Also with Seb Roachford.

leonard smalls, Sep 13, 2005
  8. MO!

Paul V

I thought most of the bands had something to offer. I'd like to hear more of the Seth Lakeman and Mia records, and I have the KCs, Maximo Park and Magic Numbers already. I thought it was quite a close contest this year too, anyone could have won it bar Polarbear maybe.

I think the MMP is great for music. All the people on the list get more exposure and that can be invaluable for the lesser known artists. The Antony and the Johnsons record sounds intriguing, I'll check that out too.

Paul

Paul V, Sep 14, 2005
  9. MO!

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I finally played this on Monday, and it didn't grab me right away but appeared to have real merit. I'll try it again later then :)

Hmm - apparently she's supposed to be excellent live. She's pretty cute too :)

domfjbrown, Sep 14, 2005
  10. MO!

lordsummit moderate mod

Well I'm about to go and play I am a bird now. Picked up a vinyl copy on the way home. The inner sleeves certainly controversial!

lordsummit, Sep 14, 2005
  11. MO!

The Devil IHTFP

He's definitely a bird.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2005
  12. MO!

lordsummit moderate mod

Well he certainly wants to be one

lordsummit, Sep 14, 2005
  13. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

What did you think of it?

MO!, Sep 15, 2005
  14. MO!

locky

I guess he's still trying to get over the experience. Either that or he's gone to birdland too :D

locky, Sep 28, 2005
  15. MO!

lordsummit moderate mod

No, I'm still here, and still wearing trousers. I think it's an excellent album, moody, almost german cabaretish in parts. Very good songwriting. I imagine though I could get very tired of his voice, angst can get very wearing!

lordsummit, Sep 28, 2005
  16. MO!

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Some excellent nominations in this. I like the Kaiser Chiefs singles, but the album tracks just didn't seem to have much spark in comparison. I'll maybe give it another go as my housemate owns it.

Hard-Fi are supposed to be excellent, but still not heard anything. One of the best album covers for a while though!

Coldplay - another album. Same as before.

Seth Lakeman is a very talented artist. I'm not overly sure about his vocals though, just a little on the high side for my liking. I've seen him a couple of times now, as part of a Devonshire songwriters tour with Steve Knightley and a young singer called Jenna Witts, an album, Western Approaches came out from that which isn't that bad at all. Also saw him perform as part of the Cara Dillon Band and as part of the Oysterband's Big Session.

ilockyer, Sep 28, 2005
Ask a Question