meridian 263 dac

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by A.N., Dec 31, 2004.

1. A.N.

A.N.

just a quick q'

would adding a meridian 263 dac to my 206b cd player be a noticable upgrade/improvement, or not worth the outlay?

cheers, thnx in advance for the reply's

regards, A.N.

A.N., Dec 31, 2004
  2. A.N.

Mr Perceptive

A.N.

There are 4 different versions of the Meridian 206 CD player, some of these have the DAC5 chipset and some have the DAC7 chipset. Hopefully the notes below will help.

203 DAC, there were two versions of this one with Bitstream and one with DeltaSigma Chip Set(known internally to Meridian as the 263) - these were also known as the DAC5 and DAC7. The DAC5 serial nos are 1***** and the DAC7 serial nos are 3*****.

206 CD Player 4 Versions
    16 bit serial no 1*****
    Bitstream serial no 2*****
    DAC7 serial no 3*****
    Delta Sigma serial no 4*****

I have a 200 Transport and have tried both 203 DACs, but prefer the sound of the earlier model (to me it sounds more analogue, less digital), but there was very little difference in it.

I would suggest that if you have a 206 serial no 1***** then it may make a difference, but otherwise I'd save your money.

If you decide to buy a 263 make sure it really is a DAC7 from the serial no!

Hope that helps

Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Jan 2, 2005
Ask a Question