Meridian 506/24 vs. the new breed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Oljan, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Oljan

Oljan

Hi

Im considering upgrading my old modified Pioneer PD-S06 to a newer player.

My system consists of:
    Rotel RSX-1056 5.1 amp
    Harmonic Tech pro12 speaker cables
    Dynaudio 1.3mkII speakers

Up for grabs I have a Meridian 506/24 that I can get for 700 euros. The current owner claims that this two genrations old player in some aspects are better than the current G07. Voices sound more natural and it is said to sound a little warmer.

Any comments?

Or any other suggestions of other players?

How does the old 506/24 stand up against newer ones of any mark?

I Prefer the sound with a lot of warmth and airyness that goes well with vocices and acustic music. But it must also be able to handle some tracks with rock music. This is the area where my current PD-S06 falls short.

Regards

Ola

Oljan, Apr 19, 2006
  2. Oljan

zanash

Is that an 806 the stable platter jobie ?

zanash, Apr 19, 2006
  3. Oljan

Oljan

Yes zanash

I guess you refer to my Pioneer PD-S06. Yes its the one with the stable platter and a 20bit dac from 1997. The transport is super but the dac is a bit out of date.

I have considered using as a transport with a separate DAC.

/Ola

Oljan, Apr 19, 2006
  4. Oljan

zanash

Chris1968....use one with a NOS dac mk1 and sounds pretty damn good.

There are a few things that can be modded [though youdid sayy it was modded] I did a few bits and peices to his machine and it really sings.

It was mostly standard stuff swapping diodes for 11dq10's putting some decent caps in a bit of bypassing, and getting rid of the poor sockets. These were replaced with teflon insulatyed types and wired to the pcb with 4n silver twisted pairs in ptfe.

The coax out had its little board moved and some decent caps fitted oscon I think. This made a suprising difference and well worth the effort of disassembling to get to.

Another good one is to strengthen the case and heavily damp it, also those plastic feet had to go ! they do nothing and are only for show. These were replaced with 2" hard wood disc [draw handles from the B&Q dept] sandwiched to the deck with foamed butyl rubber sheet [16mm] not pretty but clearly audible.

May be worth reclocking etc.....could save you a load of dosh !

zanash, Apr 19, 2006
  5. Oljan

Oljan

Thanks for the tips zanash

So far I have only modded the electronics with a new clock and new OP amp. I had a company to do it for me since I'm not that familiar this type of work. Some of the modds you mention I will probobly be able to do.

Have to ask you what you mean with:

"swapping diodes for 11dq10's putting some decent caps in a bit of bypassing, "

and

"decent caps fitted oscon"

Probobly common knowledge for some but not for me, sorry.

/Ola

Oljan, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Oljan

zanash

11DQ10's are schottky rectifiers to replace the 1n4001 type fitted....the 11dq10's are much quieter, inject less noise in to the psu train.
    oscon are sanyo made caps
    bypassing to place another cap across the pins of of an existing capacitor

In the articles section I've writen a Generic mods to cd players ....

zanash, Apr 19, 2006
Ask a Question